How good is our care and support during the Covid-19 pandemic?

As part of our self-evaluation processes we surveyed our families in September 2020 to ask How good is our care and support during the Covid-19 pandemic? 

54 families responded (approximately half of our families at this time).

All families agreed or strongly agreed that their child is nurtured and supported in Glenwood. Comments included

” All the adults know and welcome him in to nursery. He describes staff as ‘smiley’ and ‘kind’.”

“Glenwood is a fantastic nursery. My daughter is happy coming to nursery and talks fondly of all staff in the nursery. Thank you.”

Almost all families agreed or strongly agreed that communication has been effective. Comments included

“We really appreciated my son’s keyworker calling us before he started. The sway introduction to the nursery was really useful for discussions at home about starting at Glenwood. Various email updates have been reassuring too.”

“Communication has been excellent throughout lockdown. My daughter had been worried about returning and when we received an unexpected call from her keyworker on the day before nursery reopened, she had a chance to speak to her, which had a really positive impact on how she then felt about returning. So well done and thank you for taking the time to make contact with us all!”

All families agreed or strongly agreed that staff take all necessary precautions to protect children from the spread of infection. Comments included

“Very pleased with attention to detail especially with smaller wee ones.”

“Hand sanitizer in place and actively encouraged to use. Social distancing measures in place. All staff appear well informed.”

All families agreed or strongly agreed that their child’s needs are met. Comments included

“My son appears to be well supported and cared for in Glenwood. He speaks positively about his nursery who have addressed any concerns very competently.”

“I would welcome the opportunity to speak to my son’s key worker to understand if they are settling well since returning to nursery.”

“They get involved with her playing and help her when needed.”

Further comments included-

“I think having the separate drop off doors is good and having clear zones to keep children in their bubbles. Not sure about improvements the only suggestion would be an easy way for staff to be able to issue out children’s belongings at the end of day so that helps during busy times. It seems to work really well when they are outdoors at pick up time with bags ready to go. Thanks for all the well thought out procedures you have to keep everyone safe.”

“I’ve never felt at all aware of feeling crowded or unsafe. I think your process and policies are dealing with COVID fantastic. Thank you.”

“My only suggestion would be to be more updated on my individual child. I know this may not be possible.”

What we will do next-

• continue to ensure regular contact with parents by telephone, email and when possible at drop off and collection times to ensure all families feel informed about how their child is doing
  • continue to review procedures at pick up times as we know this sometimes involves parents having to wait for a little while as we ensure each family is safe