Thank you to all parents and grandparents who came to our information sessions on transition to primary school. For those who were unable to attend, here is a brief outline of what was discussed.
At Glenwood we aim to support the transition of all our pre-school children on to primary school, regardless of their pattern of attendance or the school which you have applied for.
In addition, each school will have their own induction programme and will contact you directly about this.
All pre-school children will be part of our Moving On Group. They will have regular opportunities to work together, beginning their morning/afternoon with Welcome Time in the Meadow Room and spending approximately an hour together. Our Woodland Adventures will also be an opportunity for pre-school children to work together and will take place on a Wednesday.
We will be encouraging all the children to develop their resilience and transferable social skills, as well as gross and fine motor skills, literacy and numeracy skills, and thinking about what school will be like. We will do this through:
- Experiences within the playroom – independent and adult led, problem solving, cooperating with others…
- Toadstool Tales – building on Woodland Adventures
- Outdoors – playground games, developing physical skills
- Travelling Hamish – each child will have a turn to take Hamish and his Whirrybang on an adventure, fill in his diary and share their experience with their group!
Preparing your child for school:
- promote literacy and numeracy through natural opportunities – writing at the child’s own level
- encourage independence – carrying own bag, getting dressed, eating with a knife and fork, following instructions…
- gross & fine motor skills – spacial awareness, scissors, hopping, skipping…
Sharing of information with schools:
- Continuous curriculum at the Early Level (Curriculum for Excellence 3-18)
- Summative Report – your child’s achievements in Health & Wellbeing, Literacy, Numeracy and other areas.
- Conversation with school personnel using the GIRFEC indicators
- STINT/Wellbeing plans and Care Plans
If you have any further questions, please get in touch.