The system of School Boards was replaced in August 2007 by a new system of Parent Councils. The Scottish Schools (Parental Involvement) Act 2006 makes provision for all parents to be members of the parent forum at a school and to have their views represented to the school, education authority and others through a representative Parent Council for the school.
The intention behind the new legislation is to support parental involvement in a much wider sense than before. It aims to help all parents to be:
- Involved with their child’s education and learning
- Welcomed as active participants in the life of the school
- Encouraged to express their views on school education generally and work in partnership with the school
The main changes are as follows:
- The school’s parent body (the new parent forum) will decide the size and composition of their Parent Council
- The method of appointing (and co-opting) Parent Council members will be decided by the parents. In denominational schools and church nominee must be co-opted
- The Parent Council will be required to support school management in improving the quality of education the school provides and develop to their fullest potential the personality, talents and mental and physical abilities of the pupils attending the school
- The Parent Council will develop and engage in activities, which support the education and welfare of pupils
- The Parent Council can ascertain views of parents on any matter of interest or concern
- The present system of approval of Head Teacher spend on books and teaching materials, subject to authority guidance and policy, will be discontinued
- In future, if representations made to an authority or Head Teacher remain unresolved a Parent Council may then make them to HMIE
- The Head Teacher has both a duty and a right to attend Parent Councils meetings
The Parent Council will still have a role in the appointment of Head Teachers and Depute Head Teachers.
Further information on the Act is available on www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk
We aim to meet 7 times a year, and as always everyone is welcome to join us at our meetings. In order to ensure that all classes / age groups are represented at our meetings, every class (including Nursery) now has a class rep at the meetings. Most classes have a group chat, either on Whatsapp or Messenger, where updates and information can be shared by the reps.
|Emma Messer Doogan|
All parents are welcome to join our meetings, and we encourage parents/carers of our new P1 and Nursery children to get involved as well. If you would like to attend the meeting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will email the Teams Meeting link. Hopefully we will be able to get back to face to face meetings in the near future!
Chair of the Parent Council
PARENT COUNCIL EVENT – SPONSORED BOUNCE (08.10.21)
Our annual Sponsored Bounce takes place Friday 8th October for our nursery children and P1 & P2. P3-P5 will do a sponsored assault course and P6 & P7 will do a sponsored boot camp (run by Active Schools). We hope the children will have great fun while raising funds for the school.
All the children will directly benefit from the money raised. In previous years, the monies raised have helped with the purchase of the new playground equipment, the Multi-Use Games Area, the new staging & lighting in the gym hall, the new outdoor play equipment and many other items in and around the school.
As a registered charity, we are entitled to collect Gift Aid. With your authorisation, we can claim an extra 25p from every pound donated, so please fully complete all sections of the sponsor form and tick the Gift Aid box if you are a UK taxpayer.
Children should bring their sponsor form to be signed on the day. Due to COVID restrictions, the Parent Council may not be present at this event as we normally do, this means we won’t be in the school to collect the money. Could you please put any sponsor money in an envelope and a Parent Council Representative will collect on the morning and afternoon that the activities are running, and also at the start of the week after the October holiday (someone will be present at both gates). For anyone that is not regularly at the school gates, please feel free to pass sponsor money to Denise Taggart or Jill McFarlane. Please do not send any money into the school.
If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com
Thank you for your continued support.