Literacy & Art

Image preview

Heather sent me this beautiful piece of artwork she did based on our doorway work in Literacy.  She says, “This picture shows once you die floating up to heaven”

Writing lesson from Friday – Star Writer Matilda!

What can lie beyond a door…

I approached the door slowly, unsure as to whether I was really going to open it. It just hung there mockingly as though daring me to run away and as much as I wanted to, I continued to walk towards it. Its charred paint was peeling, exposing the blackened wood behind it. The handle gleamed from the light of the open cellar door, a silver twisted snake. It seemed unfittingly luxurious compared with the worn door. 

I could turn back now, I could run away and pretend that I never came within close proximity of this door but my own curiosity kept me going, I would finally know. I was so close I could smell the faint whiff of rot that no doubt was coming from the door, all I had to do was reach out my hand and grab hold of the handle, so why wouldn’t my hand move? I was scared but I had to know so in one quick jerk I reached out and twisted the handle.

A dark swirling mist met my eyes, the air was thick with condensation I could hardly breathe and everything had turned horribly cold. A shiver was sent down my spine. Something wasn’t quite right about this place. I took a step into the mist and the door slammed shut behind me. I had to keep looking, I had to keep going.

I seemed to be walking on thin air, all I could see with that dark mist and I felt nothing beneath my feet, what on earth was this place?

I walked and walked and walked, I couldn’t see, I had no idea how long I had been walking for, all the sense had been knocked out of me. Just keep walking I thought to myself, you will find something. But then I took another step and instead of the usual sensation that I was walking on air I fell.

And I am still falling to this day stuck in a lapse of time for all eternity.

STEM selfie House Challenge

STEM SELFIE HOUSE CHALLENGE

Homework for STEM week is to take part in this STEM selfie challenge.  The idea for this challenge was created by the STEM committee and it is to encourage children to engage in STEM activities outside of school.

Children should take a selfie doing something related to Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths, print the picture and write their NAME, HOUSE and CLASS on the back of the picture.

They should bring this into school where we will create a display board of all the selfies.  The STEM committee will judge and select an overall first, second and third place winners.  They will receive point for their house.  Family pictures are more than welcome but please ensure each child has a copy of their picture to submit.  Please bring pictures to school by Thursday 19th March.

Good luck and happy STEM-ing

Alex, Aisha & William P.7