Tuesday 19th May 2020

Good morning!

Did you enjoy the scribble stories yesterday? I hope they encouraged lots of discussion and mark-making.

Here are today’s suggestions: 

I have recently noticed lots of dandelions around. Have you? Sometimes I’m not so keen to see them pop up among all the white flowers I have planted in my front garden then other times their cheery yellow heads make me smile as I remember they are a good source of food for bees and other creatures. They inspire today’s post.

1. Try to spot some dandelions in your garden or when out on a walk. Can you recognise them at different stages of their life cycle? Try to look closely and describe what you see.

2. Watch this short animation of a dandelion’s life cycle or the time lapse video. You will notice that there are no words. After chatting with your adult can you watch the videos again and use your own words to describe what is happening?

3.  Why don’t you collect some dandelions or other natural finds and get creative? Here are some ideas:

4.  Follow the link to read this book. Why does the author call dandelions ‘stars in the grass’? What interesting words did you hear? Was there anything that surprised you? Can you draw a picture to show something you have learned about dandelions?

5. Why don’t you find an interesting stick like the one below and use natural objects like dandelions or some string or ribbon to make a fancy wand?

6. If you are hunting for dandelions, why not look for other flowers too? Maybe you could learn some new flower names. You could record what you find by taking photos, drawing a picture or writing a list with simple pre-tally marks. Here are yellow poppies and violas from my garden.

7.  Practise your listening skills with this story, Hector and the Dandelion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/radio/tilly-and-friends-hector-and-the-dandelion

8. Make an interesting sensory bottle.

9. Listen to more songs, stories and poems inspired by the colour yellow here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/search?q=yellow

10. Can you name some things that are yellow before you watch this short video? How many yellow things can you find around your home? Lewis did this recently and had a really interesting collection which he then organised. Could you make your own collection and order by size or sort into groups such as toys/not toys/food etc?

11. Can you prepare a snack with some yellow foods?

12. Fun fact. Did you know that our name for dandelions comes from the French words ‘dents de lion’ meaning ‘lion’s teeth’. Where do you think this name came from..?

CLUE

13. Bees enjoy visiting dandelion flowers for food. Try this bee yoga with Jaime.

14. Watch Bing and friends here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05sxyhp/bing-series-1-64-dandelion

Blow a dandelion seed head and make your own wish!