– Support for Learning
Our Aim: To Get it Right for Every Child.
Barrhead High School has a team of specialist staff who aim to provide the additional support an individual pupil may require. If your child has a difficulty which makes learning more challenging, you will both quickly get to know the department and its Base.
Learning Support for ASN is offered throughout Barrhead High School. A team of experienced teachers who have taught in a variety of subject areas, offer expertise and guidance to students and fellow colleagues alike. There is also a team of Pupil Support Assistants who work with and support the pupils on a period to period basis. Within this group there is a wealth of experience and service within Barrhead High School. A wide range of emotional and social needs can be addressed by the team in addition to specific learning difficulties.
The department is overseen by; A) SMT member with whole school experience in Learning Support B) Primary and Secondary School specialist to reflect the age range and scope of help required. The department liaises with all departments offering direction, advice, observational assessment, Support Plans and assessment reports as required.
The department offers help to pupils in a variety of ways:
- providing direct one-to-one help from a learning support specialist teacher.
- allocation of a support for learning teacher or pupil support assistant to a class.
- support with Literacy through Reading Programme
- teaching co-operatively with subject teachers.
- advice to classroom teachers by learning support staff.
- referral to specialist services, eg Psychological Services, through the school’s Joint Support Team.
- arranging a case conference for pupils with additional support needs.
- providing specialist resources.
- liaising with the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) so that special examination arrangements are made where appropriate.
- support for pupils with additional support needs to make positive transitions to Barrhead High School from primary and other schools, and from Barrhead High School to further education, employment or training.
- working with other staff in the pupil support team.
We do our best work when we work as a team with pupils and their families. If you have any concerns about support and additional support needs please contact the department: 0141 577 2100
|1. Learning Support Booklet|
|Pupil Support||1. Pupil Support Booklet|
|Dyslexia Support||Dyslexia leaflet|
|Ivona Mini Reader||Text to speach|