Distance Learning Update

Hello! Primary 7.27 have been extremely busy during our distance learning.

We have people taking part in Sports Day with their families, developing their musical talents, and also competing in numeracy competitions.

Well done to everyone. Keep up the wonderful work!

VID_20200510_153020 (1)

THROWBACK THURSDAY

Last week we celebrated throwback Thursday #TBT

We had so much fun uploading pictures and trying to guess who was who! The teacher throwback pictures were quite funny. Some were easier to guess than others!

I wonder if you can guess who is in our throwback pictures…

MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU!

Distance learning is going very well in 7.27. Alongside literacy and numeracy, the class were challenged to celebrate Star Wars day by creating something new using recycled materials.

You will see from the fantastic pictures that some chose to make light sabers while others created a whole costume!

There is such creativity and innovation happening in homes whilst we cannot be at school. It’s great to see so many families and children engaged and enjoying the activities on the Google Classroom. Keep up the great work!

Miss Thomson

Anderson Shelters – November 2019

P7.27 have been learning about WW2 . So for  our homework we have spent our time making Anderson shelters and using recycled materials such as cardboard, paper and foil.

We have learnt about Anderson shelters and that people in WW2 built them in their gardens to protect from Air raids.

We have asked Ava what she made her Anderson shelters  out of artificial grass ,small pebbles and cardboard and small cocktail sticks.

We also asked Aaron how he made his Anderson shelter, it was made out of cardboard, a plastic bottle and stones .

We had so much making our Anderson shelters hopefully you enjoy our hard work. We showed them to P6 who loved them.

-The Bloggers

Home Learning

Primary 7.27 have already engaged in two full and successful weeks of learning from home! They have worked on their core literacy and numeracy as well as spending the time developing new skills. These range from drawing and using tone, to baking, to puppy training! Have a look at what they have been up to…

What a talented bunch of pupils!

Throughout all of this we have continued to work on our personal projects. I will post some amazing examples of Primary 7’s independent learning projects next week.

I hope everyone is continuing to stay safe and well,
Miss Thomson

Primary 7 Personal Learning Project

Primary 7 have been working for the past 4 weeks on their personal learning project.

They were responsible for deciding a context for learning, generating their own learning intentions and success criteria and planning and assessing their own learning.

Of course Miss Thomson has been continuing to teach numeracy and literacy but has taken on the role as “facilitator” of learning during the personal project, instead of actually teaching areas like social studies, ICT and expressive arts.

“I like the freedom.” Ellie

“We get to decide what we do, when we do and who we do it with.” Eva

“We get to work at our own pace.” Marc

“We are able to move freely and choose when we do stuff” Ben

“I think we are learning better this way because we can work at our own level and challenge ourselves. We get better and longer 1-1 time with the teacher during literacy and maths instead of rushing.” Paul

“I understand maths and language better now.”

“I get to apply my skills in other areas.”

”I love seeing the class work on something that they have chosen themselves and take great pride over. I do feel like I have more time to teach groups literacy and numeracy. The thing I struggle with the most is taking a backseat and not ‘teaching’ all of the time. This does give me time to observe, take notes, watch, assess, check the Es and Os on the google classroom, consider information for transition, conference with pupils, blog, take pictures, make videos of work, plan and prepare accordingly. The projects are coming along well and I’m excited for the presentations during the final week.” Miss Thomson

Planning our Learning

Next term we are hoping to plan our own context for learning and undertake a personal discovery project.

Today we have been thinking about what makes a good lesson and planning one using Jamboard and QR codes.

We thought about every aspect of the learning from introduction to plenary and considered the assessment opportunities.

This will help us take control of our learning during our personal project. Have a look at the ideas we’ve gathered for our writing lesson.

After we have undertaken the lesson we will evaluate it together to inform learning and teaching in the future.

We are looking forward to our exciting writing lesson!

Spreadsheet

This afternoon we have been learning how to use Microsoft Excel. We’ve input data, used formula to find totals and formatted cells!

We are using this to help us keep track of our funds for make £5 grow but it is also useful for keeping ourselves organised in the future.

Terrarium Update

We have been keeping a close eye on our terrariums in class.  Watching to see if the water cycle is still taking place inside the jars.  When we set them up we knew that it was an experiment that we were conducting and that we had to wait and see it if would work with the materials that we used and with the conditions created inside the jars.

Here are some photos of our plants 5 weeks after they had been planted in our terrariums.

As you can see our plants are still alive and there is still moisture in the environment created within the jar.  It worked!!

Some of us poured out a little water half way through as we had put too much in to begin with.  Through observations and evaluations we have achieved success!