Literacy & Language
In Term 1, we will be using the Active Literacy spelling strategies and activities to develop our spelling knowledge and explore phonemes
We will be reading the novel Wonder to explore the following reading strategies to help us when reading as a group and independently: Prediction; Metalinguistics; Inference and Visualisation
We will be using VCOP to develop our writing and using the novel as a stimulus.
In French our topics will be:
- The calendar and how to write the date
- Classroom commands.
Numeracy & Mathematics
This term we will be continuing with our Number Talks, following the school strategy of the week, to develop our mental numeracy skills.
We will be focusing on the following concepts:
- Place Value of 4, 5, 6 and 7 digit numbers
- Rounding to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000
- Adding mentally
This term we will discuss the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and select articles we feel are important to create our Class Charter.
We will be using Emotion Works, which is a whole school resource, to explore our emotions, build resilience and help us return to school and deal with the changes we are facing in the current Covid-19 situation.
In PE we are improving our fitness levels through relay races, circuits and yoga. We will be outside as much as possible.
Social Subjects and Interdisciplinary Learning
Our topic for our first term is ‘The Rainforest”. We will be learning about:
- What Rainforests are and where they are found.
- The layers of a Rainforest and the plants and animals living in them.
- The Water Cycle and Food Chains (Science)
- The benefits of Rainforests and how we can look after them.
Our Expressive Arts, Science and ICT will link to our Rainforest topic.