A basic idea for class use of Glow (across all curricular areas) is to use the Page Viewer web part to display a topical article from newspaper or magazine and combine this with a Discussion or Glow Forum web part.
- In your Glow group go to Modify Shared Page then Add Web Part.
- Choose Page Viewer from the establishment gallery.
- Add the url (web address) of the newspaper or magazine page to the box.
- You can amend the appearance of the web part e. g. the title and size (you may need to change the height of the web part to about 30 cm to fit in the whole page of the article).
- Then add either a basic Discussion web part from the establishment gallery or a Glow Forum web part from the virtual server gallery. The Glow Forum web part is more sophisticated. You can also add multiple Glow Forums to your Glow group, e. g. if you have new pages for different class topics.
- You can start off a discussion with your class by, for example, asking questions about the article, or by making statements to ignite contributions.
An example of this can be seen at the JHA Library Discussion page.
There are also interesting examples of Glow groups using these tools at the Discussion Forums Cookbooks.
A simple way of using Glow with a class is to use images together with a discussion forum. (See the post ‘Beginners’ Tips – Options for adding images to a Glow Group.’)
The image can be used as a prompt or an inspiration for responsive writing, or as the basis of a series of questions on a topic. Here are some examples -
- History – Use an image from an historical period as a basis for a discussion question on that period, e.g. Victorian Britain, World War One, Wars of Independence, Slave Trade, etc. You could use a series of images for multiple questions.
- Sciences - Use an image of a scientific process as a basis for a discussion questions on that process, e.g. Respiration, Digestion, Chemical Reactions, Electrical Circuits, etc. This example could be replicated to include topics from every other curricular area.
- Languages – Use images of scenarios to support Modern Language learning, e.g. for a food and drink topic. Give pupils instructions on responding in the chosen language.
- English – Use images to illicit creative writing responses from pupils. This could take the form of a documents library where pupils could upload poems / stories on Word. You could also include a discussion forum for feedback.
There are some examples of how images have been successfully used in Glow Groups here.