I am pleased to report that all of the children have settled very well and are enjoying learning in Primary 1. It is great to see how confidently they already move around the classroom, playground and park and interact with each other, myself, their buddy and other teaching staff.
Term 1 planning is as follows:
Numeracy & Mathematics
- estimate amounts and check by counting
- use one-to-one correspondence when counting
- match and order numbers to 10 and beyond
- count forwards and back to 20
- find the number before/after/ between
- add on one, then 2
- share/use appropriate language to describe halves
- sequence days of the week/months of the year
- copy, continue and create patterns
- recognise/sort/match 2D then 3D shapes
- create a pictogram using relevant information.
The children also complete mental maths, Numicon and Number Talks activities each day which help them understand mathematical ideas and relationships essential for successful reasoning and problem-solving.
Literacy & Modern Language
Spelling words will continue to be sent home every three weeks, with week 3 being consolidation of sounds and spelling words covered so far.
To date we have explored a, t, s, i, p, n, r & m. We will continue with d, e, c, k, g, l, f, o, b, u, h, w, j & v – 2 sounds per week (plus consolidation) until Christmas holidays.
We are also exploring:
- using reading strategies
- prediction/main points/retelling/sequencing stories
- capital letters & full stops in sentences
- name writing.
We will be using the Camembear resource to explore greetings and colours.
Health & Wellbeing
The children are enjoying the Daily Mile. They are participating in Games and practicing large ball skills as well as completing Cosmic Yoga and Dance activities and through these activities have an awareness that being active is a healthy way to be.
We are developing positive relationships, co-operation, turn taking, tidying up, taking care of resources and showing an awareness of our school Values within the daily routine of the class.
We will be exploring:
- feelings, fairness, caring, sharing, friendships, equality and love within Mental Wellbeing
- hand washing and tooth brushing as part of our daily routine to maintain wellbeing and health
- internet safety.
Social Studies and Science
The children will be finding out about People in the Past through The Great Fire of London. We will explore how people lived in the past and how their lives were different to ours. We will also look at local shops and services in comparison.
Our Science topics this term are Rain, Wind & Snow and Vibrations.
The children will:
- describe and record the weather, its effects and how it makes them feel
- use their findings to discuss and explore the seasons
- investigate how water changes from one form to another
- create instruments to explore sounds
- explore sound vibrations of various pitches.
Our art lessons will be topic-related painting, drawing and collage. We will also investigate colour mixing and observe our local environment to record ideas, thoughts and feelings.
We will practice seasonal songs in class and use our instruments to keep a beat or practice a rhythm.
The children participate in Education City and Busy Things on the classroom computers and are also learning to:
- start up and shut down the computer
- use the mouse
- select and click on an icon
- drag and drop
- use the space bar, shift key and delete button
- type their name.
Within technologies the children are using the class camera to record tasks and will develop practical skills using tools to solve problems within topic work.