Children’s Mental Health Week

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you enjoyed a lovely weekend and you are ready for another themed week of learning!  Last week, I received lots of lovely emails saying the children enjoyed our Scottish Week and the singing was particularly enjoyed!

As we enter another week of lockdown, it is understandable and very normal for both adults and children to be feeling sad and perhaps having low energy.  This week’s themed learning will provide a vehicle for exploring feelings/emotions and will hopefully help to lift mood and the feeling of positive wellbeing.

This week, 1st -7th February 2021, is  Place2Be’s Children’s Mental Health Week with the theme Express Yourself!

As we are all under different pressures,  it is important,  now more than ever, that we take care of our own mental health and the mental health of your child/children.

This week, we will be exploring ways we can ensure positive wellbeing in children.

To mark the start of this week, please open the link to watch HRH The Duchess of Cambridge’s video message on wellbeing

https://www.childrensmentalhealthweek.org.uk/news/the-duchess-of-cambridge-sends-message-to-mark-children-s-mental-health-week/

Please also open this link to Place2Be’s parent/carer page for lots of wonderful ideas

https://www.childrensmentalhealthweek.org.uk/parents-and-carers/

Here is also a poster with 12 Coping Skills you might use and practice with your child.

Shared home learning activities for this week are designed to enable your child to explore their wellbeing and express themselves!

Please open the link below to find activities centred around dancing, singing and listening to a story.

Activity for afterwards

Make a positive affirmation jar/bottle/box
Decorate the outside of your bottle/jar/box and decorate.  Then write some positive affirmations and place inside.  This might be:          I am kind,  I am happy, I am safe,  I am loved

Get your child to pick one positive affirmation out each a day and read it them and talk to them about the statement.

Make a worry monster/doll/teddy/animal – this could be out of recyclable materials, eg kitchen roll, shoe box, pegs, teddy bear etc.

Tell your worries to the monster/doll and talk about them to see if there is anything you could do to make the worry smaller or go away completely.

Think about the Colour Monster in the story you listened to – draw and colour your own monster and talk about how you are feeling, is it the same as your colour monster?  Finish off this activity by listening to the Colour Monster song in the link below.

To finish, it is important we learn to relax.  Visit the Cosmic Yoga website and choose a yoga activity, this is good for your body and your mind.

https://cosmickids.com/watch/

Lastly for today, Mrs Wilson shared on the school app, the primary school assembly on Friday.  It was called Under Pressure.  Open the assembly for lots of other super activities and to see some of the school staff telling us what they do when feeling under pressure.

I hope you enjoy this learning and tomorrow I will share more activities which will help develop mental wellbeing.

Be happy and healthy and don’t worry if you can’t manage these activities as I appreciate how busy you all are.

with kind regards, Mrs Nouillan