Mini Forest – Badgers

The Badgers spent their morning in the Mini Forest, the weather was glorious. The leaf buds have begun to open and the children took on a new challenge,  collecting natural  materials to take back to the ECC to create our ‘Bug Homes.’ The children discussed size, length and suitability of materials as they worked. “Look Mrs Gray this one is nearly as big as me,” (measuring a stick against his body) “We need to find leaves for the caterpillars.” “I have collected, sticks, sticks and more sticks.” “Its a dandelion…the insects will get nectar.”

The children then broke into smaller groups and began some imaginative play, building a campfire “We can have macaroni cheese.” They used two areas as their homes, moving a branch up and down as a door, “You can come into our home.” The children spoke about the cracks in the earth, “I think it might be moles…they dig and leave earth behind…they might be frightened we are making noise.” “I think the sun made the cracks, the mud has dried up.”

The children then sat together for a snack and drink of water, before looking for more ‘Bug Home’ materials. The children worked together to carry the resources safely back to the ECC, the children will have the opportunity to design and build a range of ‘Bug Homes’ during this weeks sessions.

Mrs Gray