Messages from the School App

Please see below for important messages that have been shared on the school app.

Message from the Head of Education to all parents and carers

Friday 26th June 2020 12:23

Dear Parents/Carers,

Once again, can I extend my warmest thanks to you for your ongoing work over this lockdown period.  By way of update on this last day of term, may I firstly refer you back to my statement of 23rd June :-

https://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/news/article/statement-from-linda-mcaulay-griffiths-head-of-education

We are working to the same aim as our fellow local authorities in having a full-time return to schools in August.  Clearly, there are so many unknowns right now and I totally appreciate how difficult this is for parents and carers, please know that myself and my central team are in position over the Summer holidays to ensure that we can disseminate any information to you as quickly as we can.  The First Minister’s planned review dates of both 9th and 30th July will be pivotal to our return and I have planned meetings for our Parent Council Steering Group and communications with Headteachers immediately after both announcements to ensure swift action on the basis of these.  We have the ability to contact all parents via school apps and groupcall centrally and will ensure that you are kept well informed.

We would also ask that you direct any queries centrally, given that your schools will be on Summer break.

Email: Education-ServiceSupportA@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

https://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/CouncilAndGovernment/Coronavirus/Schools-ecc.aspx

Please also see our announcements in regard to transport, free school meals and clothing grants should these be required.  We would also strongly encourage parents to register for the catering ParentPay service to help us sustain a cashless environment. These can be found here:-

http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/schooltransport(mainstream schools only)
http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/clothing-grants-free-school-meals
https://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/EducationAndLearning/Online-School-Payments.aspx

So once again, please accept my thanks for your understanding and patience during this forthcoming period of unknowns and we look forward to welcoming our young people back safely in August, aligned with governmental advice.

Kind regards

Linda McAulay-Griffiths
HEAD OF EDUCATION

Sent To You By East Ayrshire Council

Head Teacher Update

Friday 26th June 2020 12:23

Dear parent / carer,

Forgive me for this rather long message, I don’t have my usual half hour slot at Prize Giving this year.

As the session draws to a close I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone in the Drongan Primary School and ECC community.  This has undoubtedly been the strangest school session that I have ever known during my time in education.  I am proud of what we have managed to achieve and pleased that this was reflected in the positive HMIE report following their visit in September last year.  This was absolutely a whole school and ECC team effort and it is down to the hard work of all involved that such progress has been made and recognised.

The last few months have presented us with circumstances that no one could ever have foreseen or predicted.  The situation progressed at such a pace and before we knew it we were in a position where we had to close our school with very little time to prepare for or adapt to what was ahead of us.  It has absolutely been a learning curve for us all and although there have been a number of challenges I am ever optimistic that what we have learned will stand us in good stead moving forward.  Digital Technologies for example contributes to our improvement plan for next session; however, teaching staff have already learned so much in this area prior to and during the school closure.  A lot of the groundwork has been done here and with appropriate training for children, staff and parents, together with an investment in more equipment, there are so many opportunities to build on what has already been achieved.

Although we have been apart, never before have we had to work so closely together to support the children and ensure some sort of continuity to their learning.  I am very proud and grateful to everyone involved, including staff, parents and the children for everything that has been done during the school closure to support your children in their learning.  There has also been so much to be proud of in the Drongan community, with community groups providing food provision, our catering staff and the home deliveries of meals as well as the packs for children provided by Coalhall Community fund.  This is so encouraging and makes the staff here proud to serve the Drongan community.

During this week it has been a pleasure to invite our new Primary 1s into the school.  I would like to thank the parents for bringing the children along and also say well done to the children during these visits.  I know it will be difficult for the younger children after such a long time at home but they all did so well and enjoyed the time with their new teachers.

It was also very nice as well as being quite emotional saying farewell to our Primary 7 children.  This group of children have been an absolute credit to the school but unfortunately we weren’t able to give them the usual send-off that they deserved.  We are so proud of what you have achieved during your time at Drongan Primary School and have enjoyed watching you mature into the talented young people that you are today.  You will eventually have a great opportunity when you go to the new Robert Burns Academy at the Barony Campus and I know that you will make the most of your time there.  Remember, with hard work and determination you can achieve whatever you put your mind to, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!

I really want to highlight the whole staff team here at Drongan for their hard work over the course of the session and especially during the school closure.  Again with the HMIE inspection it was a hectic start to the session and I am glad that the staff received the positive report that they deserved.  During the school closure I cannot give enough credit to how they have adapted, learned new skills and provided as much support to the children as they possibly could have.  The teaching staff have went above and beyond and have done everything within their power to support the children’s learning.   I would like also to thank the staff who have worked in the hub both in the Primary and in the ECC.  I know that this was initially a strange experience for the children, but with the great work of the staff and many innovative ideas, they have become their own wee unit and I know that the children have enjoyed attending the hub.  I would like to give a special mention to Danielle from Vibrant Communities who has been there every day from start to finish working in the hub.  So to all of the staff, from teachers, clerical, classroom assistants, ECC staff, Mr Kelly our janitor, Mrs Shields and her catering staff and our cleaning staff, thank you very much for your continued efforts and contributing to this great team.

I would like to personally thank my management team for all of their support throughout the session.  Avril, Kerry and also Pamela in the ECC and to Mrs Cowie and Mrs Bradley in the school, thank you.  And to Mr McFadzean a huge thank you from me for the support that you provide.  I am sure you will join me in congratulating Mr McFadzean on the safe arrival of his baby boy Finn yesterday.

To you the parents, on behalf of all of the staff here at Drongan, thank you very much for the support that you have shown, especially during these unprecedented times.  As a parent body you are so supportive to the work that is going on here at Drongan Primary School and ECC, and even during these difficult times have continued to be understanding and supportive to everything that we are doing.  It really is appreciated and thank you for everything that you have done during the school closure.

Thank you also to our Parent Council who have supported us throughout the session and the current situation.  A very special thank you to our Parent Council chair Davie Court.  Davie has chaired the parent council for the last four years and has always been a positive support to the school.  I would like to thank Davie for his work on the parent council and for being as understanding and supportive during this current situation.  I promise we will invite you back to the school when we are able to do so to give you the recognition that you deserve.

And finally to all of the children, you have been absolutely fantastic.  We have missed seeing you so much and can’t wait until August to welcome you back into the school and ECC.  You do us proud every single day and we hope that we can get back to normality as quickly as possible.  We know what a strange time this must have been for you.  When we recorded ‘that video’ in March I don’t think any of us could really understand what was going on or appreciate the fact that the school wouldn’t open again this session.  So many people have mentioned how lovely it was to see and hear you singing ‘What a Wonderful World’ on that sunny day in March.  You did put a smile on people’s faces during what was a very worrying time and you have all made us proud during the school closure.

I will be keeping up to date with government guidance regarding school return in August over the summer.  I will keep connected with East Ayrshire Council and will keep you as informed as possible about the arrangements for children returning in August through the school app.  As soon as I am able to confirm these arrangements I will be in touch.

I hope you manage to have an enjoyable and safe summer and we look forward to seeing everyone again in August.  Take care.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks
Sean.maddocks@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

School Transport/Free School Meals/Footwear & Clothing Grants – how to apply

Thursday 25th June 2020 11:29

If your child requires transport to school from August 2020, you can apply online now  http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/schooltransport

You can check entitlement and apply for free school meals and footwear and clothing grants here: http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/clothing-grants-free-school-meals

Sent To You By East Ayrshire Council

Prizegiving Awards – Heads and Deputes

Wednesday 24th June 2020 13:45

Good afternoon,

We are delighted to announce our Prizegiving awards for the current school session. Although we have been unable to hold our usual Prizegiving Service, we wanted to be able to celebrate the successes and hard work of our pupils.

Heads and Deputes
However, before the list of awards is published we wanted to give our new Heads and Deputes a moment in the spotlight! All of the staff got the chance to vote for pupils to take on the roles that were held by Lucie, Freddie, Abbie and Thomas this year. As a school we want to thank our outgoing Heads and Deputes for their hard work representing our school! We have no doubt that the new Heads and Deputes will also do us proud…

Depute Head Boy: Cyran Alexander
Head Boy: Cole Bickerton

Depute Head Girl: Alex Borthwick
Head Girl: Iona MacDonald

Please note children who have received a certificate/award will be given this upon their return to school in August.  A document with the list of all awards will be uploaded as a news story on the app at 2pm.

Thank you and well done!

Wednesday 24th June 2020 11:32

Dear parent / carer,

I am delighted to announce that Lauren Dyce has been appointed to teach Primary 3B next session.  Miss Dyce has been our probation teacher this year and we are absolutely delighted that she will continue to be part of our team for session 2020-21.

I can also announce that the probation teacher for next session has been allocated.  We are delighted to announce that Rebecca Smith will join us in August and will teach Primary 6.  Miss Smith was here this session as a 4th year student and we are very pleased that she is joining our team.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks

School Transport for P7s

Wednesday 24th June 2020 11:27

Following on from the message sent out this morning on the app, please note that all of our P7 pupils will need to apply for transport as they are moving on to a different school after the summer. Please follow the link below to apply for transport from tomorrow.

(original message)
If your child requires transport to school from August 2020, you will be able apply using the new online application form. Please follow the link below to East Ayrshire Council’s school transport webpage. This will be available by tomorrow (Thursday 25th June 2020). Thank you.

https://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/EducationAndLearning/TravellingToSchool/Schooltransport/Schooltransport.aspx?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn
School Transport

Wednesday 24th June 2020 08:30

Good morning,

Message from the Head of Education to parents and carers – 24.6.20

Wednesday 24th June 2020 07:50

Dear Parent/Carer,

We acknowledge the statement by the Deputy First Minister yesterday afternoon with regard to the aspiration of a full-time return of pupils to school.

The DFM has been clear that this will be predicated on further data and scientific advice, and that further guidance will be issued nationally that will then be enacted at local authority level.

Our priority in our planning for schools return has always been safety and it will be important to be assured on how a full return will achieved in a way that recognises this. The central education team at East Ayrshire will await the guidance and will enact this accordingly in consultation with all interested parties as soon as it is received.

Individual schools will not be in a position to publish adapted plans until this further information becomes available.

Communications to parents and carers will continue over the Summer break to ensure that they are kept fully informed and updated on plans to return.  As always, we look forward to welcoming our young people back to school is a safe and measured manner.

Kindest regards

Linda McAulay-Griffiths
Head of Education

Sent To You By East Ayrshire Council

Home Digital Learning Access

Monday 22nd June 2020 12:35

Good afternoon,

We are currently reviewing our IT provision and home learning for all pupils returning to Drongan PS in August. In order to support us in the planning for this we are looking for some information from our parents / carers. We are looking to see if any of our children don’t have access to a device at home to support learning. We are also looking to find out if families with more 3 or more children at school only have shared access to one device, as we know how restricting this can be for digital learning.

If you feel that either of these apply to you, please email Mr McFadzean by 3pm tomorrow Tuesday 23rd June) with the name of your child/children and class(es), along with what your access troubles are (either point 1 or 2 below). This will allow us to feed this information back to East Ayrshire Council.

The points to consider are:

1. If you do not have a device (tablet, laptop, computer) at home to allow children to access online learning opportunities
  2. If you have 3 or more children at school and only have access to one device

If you fall into any of these areas, could you please email Mr McFadzean at the address below before the time and date stated to allow us to feedback accurately to East Ayrshire Council.

eatom.mcfadzean@glow.sch.uk

Thank you once again for your support.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

P7 Leavers’ Visit

Sunday 21st June 2020 20:19

Good evening P7,

After reading your comments and looking at the results of the poll (from Teams), the majority of Primary 7 think it would be nice to mark our final time at Drongan together wearing school uniform.  However, this is not mandatory and you have the option to wear casual clothes.

Can’t wait to see you all. Two more sleeps!

Mrs Cowie and Mrs Mitchell

August Renewal

Friday 19th June 2020 13:26

Dear parent / carer,

Please note that children in P5/6 class should come to school from 9.00am – 3.00pm in August.

Information regarding ECC placements will be provided next week.  I will work with ECC staff to do all we can to align placements with those of primary school children; however, this cannot be guaranteed.

Thank you

Message to parents and carers from the Head of Education – 18 June 2020

Friday 19th June 2020 08:16

Dear Parent/Carer,

I hope that this letter once again finds you and your families well, and can I reiterate a warm thank you for your amazing work with our young people during this period of lockdown.   Following my recent communication, I was keen to ensure you were updated in regards to our plan for careful and considered return of our young people and staff to school.

In reaching the following proposals, I would like to express a debt of gratitude to your Head Teachers, your Parent Council Chairs and parents who have formed part of our renewal workstreams in the Council.

In addition, I am deeply grateful to the huge numbers of you who have completed our parent survey, which has had over 3000 responses to date. The plans to return have been jointly developed by a huge number of council services who have worked alongside us to reach this stage, including Facilities Management, Catering, Health and Safety, Human Resources and Transport, to name but a few. In reaching our model, we have considered, at the front and centre of our thinking, the safety and wellbeing of our young people, staff and their families as we are so aware that this will be your prime concern.

To this end, can we advise of some of the following headline measures as being applicable to all of our schools:

• Cleaning patterns and routines have been established for our schools to support the prevention of spread of COVID-19, these are specific to each school
  • Shared materials in classrooms have been removed and young people are being issued with personal equipment and stationery that they will be able to take home to support blended learning.  Where young people have to share materials, e.g. practical subjects, this is addressed specifically using cleaning routines.
  • Transport has clearly been a very detailed issue and working capacities have been changed to ensure social distancing on all forms of school transport, schools will provide separate communications to those requiring transport.
  • Risk assessments for pupil and staff return have been carried out and are in place, given that we already have some staff and pupils attending in June.
  • Social distancing of 2m has been a pre-requisite for the setup of classrooms and other spaces that your child will use, in addition child-friendly communications and graphics will be present in all of our schools.  Some schools will adopt a “social bubble” approach, this will be made clear in the school specific communication you will receive.
  • Individual schools have planned for the safe arrival and pick-up of pupils in a measured fashion and this too will be communicated to you in school-specific communications.

Pupil Attendance in all schools 

The attendance model for all schools in East Ayrshire has been agreed at a consistent level to ensure equity for all of our learners, and we have also clearly ensured that our children who are more vulnerable have been appropriately considered.  Due to the particular needs of young people in our specialist sector schools, these arrangements will be communicated on a school by school basis.  Guidance on re-opening early childhood centres has just been released this week, thus further details will be forthcoming in this regard.

Primary School Pupils 

Your child will attend primary school two days per week (or equivalent), in a pattern that will be released by your school via the school app or other means. The limited attendance is governed by the current social distancing requirements which restricts the number of young people we can have in our schools at any one time.  Some young people may attend on further days, this is a matter delegated to the school, in regards to young people in a vulnerable situation.

Secondary School Pupils 

The attendance model for secondary schools in East Ayrshire is clearly more complex, due to significant differentials in school roll, capacity and available staffing in regard to specific subjects.  We are therefore taking a phased and measured approach to ensure the safety of the full school community, and also protect the wellbeing of young people in operating initially with lower numbers as they return, and adapt to what will be very different circumstances.

This model will operate as follows:-

Wednesday 12th – Friday 28th August: 1 day per week for all pupils (or equivalent), with added time enhancement for senior phase to be released by individual schools.  This permits secondary schools working on a two week rotation model to see a full run of their timetable and address any concerns before upscaling pupil attendance.

Subject to review, all pupils will begin attending 2 days per week, again with added time enhancement for senior phase w/b 31st August.

Clearly this situation is completely dynamic and we will continue to be guided by government and public health guidance and advice, and where we can safely increase attendance, this will absolutely be the case.

I am also very aware that the proposed pattern, when released by your school, will not meet the needs of everyone, and I ask you to bear with your school as they answer queries specific to individual family circumstances. A position has not yet been reached by the Scottish Government in regards to the provision of childcare for keyworkers for August, I therefore ask for your understanding that we cannot answer any questions in this regard until the position is declared nationally.

In addition to many aspects of pupil return, we know that parents and carers will have many questions, and we hope that some of these may be answered in some of the statements below:-

• Children do NOT require to wear uniform if any family have been unable to access this due to lockdown or other circumstances.  Our priority is absolutely having our young people back with us.
  • We have asked schools, where possible, that siblings who attend the same school, attend on the same days.
  • Government guidance advises that young people may not leave the premises at lunch to access home lunch or outside catering, we ask for your understanding on this during this return phase. Children are welcome to bring a packed lunch and free school meals and paid catering will be provided on a trolley service to classrooms, this has also freed up extra capacity to house more young people in our schools.
  • Transport should still be applied for in the normal way and you can check entitlement and apply for free school meals and footwear & clothing grants here:
    http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/clothing-grants-free-school-mealsIt is important that parents enrol for our Parent Pay system as cash will not be handled in schools. You can find out more about this here. Parent Pay
  • If your family have booked a holiday for the week including 12th August, the absence of your young person will be authorised given the unanticipated change to the Summer break.Summer Holidays
  • Information on emergency childcare over the forthcoming Summer holiday has already been sent to all parents and carers who are already registered for this provision, as this childcare will change over the Summer break.

Blended learning 

Clearly face-to-face teaching is only one part of a rigorous blended learning approach, we are preparing supplementary information for all parents and carers, as we move into a new phase of learning, this will be made available to parents and carers in the new school term.

Next steps

I am meeting again with your Parent Council Chairs on Wednesday 24th June where we will have further discussion around the safe recovery of schools and discuss the findings of the parent survey as we move into our new phase of learning.  These will also be shared with your individual schools to influence provision on a local level.

Can I please ask for your understanding in working with your schools over the last week of term as they move towards the Summer Holiday, your Head Teachers have put an incredible amount of time and thought into their return models and they too appreciate that parents and carers are incredibly anxious about school return and patterns of attendance.   I ask that this is borne in mind in any discussions you may require to have with your schools going forward.

Finally, can I advise that, as has been the case throughout this crisis, that there will be a separate release of information for our young people returning to school, they too have been part of an authority-wide survey and have met in their pupil council groupings in all schools over the past weeks, as an integral part of our thinking as we return.

Can I wish you and your families a very happy Summer, and please know that our central education team will remain in place over this time should the situation change in any way that would see us able to implement a further return of young people as intimated.

With all my best wishes to you and your families at this time.

LINDA McAULAY-GRIFFITHS
Head of Education 

Sent To You By East Ayrshire Council

Dear Parent / Carer,

Please find letter attached from Peter Gilchrist, Head Teacher of Barony Campus regarding arrangements for current P7s in August.

Thank you

PG Parental LEtter P7s.docx

Dear Parent / Carer,

Please find attached letter containing information and arrangements for children returning to school in August.

Kind Regards

August Renewal Information.docx

Dear Parent / Carer,

Thank you

PG Parental LEtter P7s.docx

P7 Leavers’ Visit Reminder

Friday 19th June 2020 11:38

*A REMINDER FOR P7 PARENTS*

If you have already completed this form, thank you.

As Mr Maddocks mentioned in his message on the app on 11th June, we would like to invite the Primary 7s for a visit on Tuesday 23rd June 2020. Although this won’t be the usual send-off our Primary 7s deserve, we hope that what we have prepared will allow them to celebrate their time at Drongan Primary School and everything they have achieved.

We hope that on the day all of our P7 children will visit at their allocated time.Children will get a chance to collect their work/belongings, receive their Prizegiving awards, receive their Leavers’ Gifts and watch their Leaver’s Video.

In order for us to have an idea of the number of children who will be attending the school, please follow the link below and fill in the question that has been allocated for your child’s class. Please simply write your child’s full name in the answer box – question 1 for P7a and question 2 for P7b. If your child is not going to be attending, please let us know using question 3.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKcP00GXwmQVIg1haQ6EEPMFUNkw1SFcyOThYWTJNVE5UTEhaTFRINVlWRS4u

A reminder of the class group visit times:
P7a: 10.00am – 11.00am
P7b: 1.30pm – 2.30pm

We would be grateful if you could complete the form as soon as possible. It should only take a few seconds. Thank you in advance for your support. We are looking forward to seeing our P7s and giving them a proper send off.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

August Renewal Information

Friday 19th June 2020 11:14

Dear Parent / Carer,

Please note that information regarding children’s return to school has been issued in the News Stories section of the app.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks

Friday 19th June 2020 08:16

Dear Parent/Carer,

Pupil Attendance in all schools 

Primary School Pupils 

Secondary School Pupils 

This model will operate as follows:-

Blended learning 

Next steps

LINDA McAULAY-GRIFFITHS
Head of Education 

Sent To You By East Ayrshire CouncilP7 Leaver’s Visit

Wednesday 17th June 2020 19:34

*A MESSAGE FOR P7 PARENTS*

P7a: 10.00am – 11.00am
P7b: 1.30pm – 2.30pm

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Drongan P1 transition update: Week 4

Wednesday 17th June 2020 08:30

Good morning,

Mrs Brady has made another video to share with the P1 children who will be joining us in August. This week, Mrs Brady is exploring rhyme. Click on the link to access the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T_0OEEQtU-fdWMEr1dlRz-Sdy8enEDEl/view?usp=drivesdk

Class Structure 2020/21

Friday 12th June 2020 14:29

Dear parent / carer,

I am pleased to be able to provide details of the class structure for session 2020/21 and the allocated teachers.  There will again be 11 classes and we are in a position where classes can move up as they are.  This means for example that if your child was in P2A they will now be in P3A.   There is currently one vacancy that I hope to fill before the end of the session and we have also been allocated a probationer teacher who has still to be confirmed.  Teacher’s non class contact time and additional pupil support will be provided by Mrs Morrision, Mrs Gilbertson and Mrs Bradley.  Mr McFadzean will also provide additional support for learning as well as carrying out Depute Head duties.

As stated previously this week, Primary 1 children will be informed of who their class teacher is in the reports that have been sent out.  We will also have class lists for both Primary 1 classes available during the transition visits on the 24th and 25th June.

Class Teacher
P1A Mrs Brady
P1B Mrs Glasgow
P2A Miss Hogarth
P2B Miss Adams
P3A Mrs Coulter
P3B Vacancy
P4 Mrs Brown
P5 Mrs Hainey
P5/6 Mrs Mitchell
P6 Probationer Teacher
P7 Mrs Cowie

Thank you for your ongoing support.  Please do not hesitate to contact me or Mr Mcfadzean if you have any questions.

I look forward to being able to provide details and information next week about the blended learning model and arrangements for when the children return in August.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks
Sean.maddocks@east-ayrshire.gov.uk
Tom.mcfadzean@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

EAC Parent / Carer and Pupil Survey

Friday 12th June 2020 14:09

Hi,

Please see message and links to relevant surveys issued by East Ayrshire Council.

Thank you

________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Parents/ Carers and Pupils
As we progress further in our school renewal discussions, we are keen to seek the views of our parents, carers and pupils to help guide our next steps and indeed to review experience during lockdown. The results of this survey will also be fed back to your own schools individually to aid further discussion as we move forward, and will also be collated at council level.  We would very much appreciate your time in completing this survey. If, as a parent or carer, your children attend more than one school, please feel free to answer for each school.  Links as noted below:-

Parental survey:
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKWcF6bVSsANAmvUItgCuaeBUNUdNM0REQUdSNEVGODVXSk40NFpWWlhFMy4u

Pupil survey:
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKWcF6bVSsANAmvUItgCuaeBUQk05ODNWUDFQV1E2VUpEUUNEWkNCMko4RS4u

Hannahston Woods Survey

Friday 12th June 2020 07:53

Hi,

I have been asked by the DRS Regeneration group to share the link below to a survey regarding the current Hannahston Woods situation.  A really important part of the process is engaging with the local community and gathering your views.

If you can, please take the time to complete the survey following the link below:

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/HannahstonWoods/

Thank you

Sports Week Points!

Thursday 11th June 2020 20:28

Hi boys and girls. Well done to everyone who has taken part in Sports Week and the different challenges. Mrs Bradley is asking if you took part in some of the challenges could you please follow the link and fill in the form so she can assign points to your house. Please be honest so we can see who the Virtual Sports Week winning house is! Please complete the form by the end of the day tomorrow (Friday 12th June). Remember we will post our final challenges tomorrow morning, so make sure to wait until you have completed them to fill in the form! Thank you!
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKVtQ1g5FUf9CqctNOuKzDMxUMzJKWVQ3NklGNlE5RkM3RUNRWUI4MFo1Ni4u

August Return Date

Thursday 11th June 2020 15:30

Hi,

Please see message below from East Ayrshire Council regarding confirmed August return dates.

Dear Parents/ Carers and Young People 
Following a meeting today with the professional associations at council level, we are now in a position to advise of the return dates for all schools in EAC.  Teachers will return on 11thAugust for an inservice day and pupils will return on Weds 12th August.  Clearly not all pupils will return physically to school on that day and we will advise you as soon as possible around physical attendance patterns for our young people.  We hope that you will find this information helpful at this time, and we will issue further information about remaining term dates for 20/21 in due course. 

Primary 7 Transition Activity

Thursday 11th June 2020 13:30

Hi,

Please see arrangements below for our Primary 7 children to visit the school before the end of session.  As previously stated, parents will not be able to enter the building to join children for this activity.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks

Arrangements for Primary 7 Leavers

We would like to invite the Primary 7s for a Leavers’ Assembly on Tuesday 23rd June 2020.
Although this won’t be the usual send-off our Primary 7s deserve, we hope that what we have prepared will allow them to celebrate their time at Drongan Primary School and everything they have achieved.

We are unable to gather all the Primary 7s together and will instead invite them in class groups at the following times.

P7A: 10am – 11am
P7B: 1.30pm – 2.30pm

To accommodate social distancing measures, the children will enter and exit through the main entrance and make their way into the main hall. Chairs will be spaced to ensure 2 metres between children.  Children should bring a bag to collect work and belongings from the hall.

We are so grateful for all the hard work the Primary 7s have put into home-learning and we are proud of their independence, positive attitude and resilience during these unprecedented times.

Looking forward to seeing you all Primary 7!

Mrs Cowie and Mrs Mitchell

Pre-school to Primary 1 Transition Information

Thursday 11th June 2020 13:24

Hi,

I hope that you and your families are well.  I would like to provide some information regarding the arrangements we have made for pre-school children to visit the school before the end of term.

All pre-school children who are starting Primary 1 in August are invited to come into the school on either Wednesday 24th June or Thursday 25th June for a short visit. Please note that specific dates and times have been sent out to parents along with your child’s report with each child being allocated one slot over the course of the two days.Unfortunately due to the current situation we have been advised that parents will not be allowed in the school building and we can only invite small groups of children at any one time. Please bring your child to the infant playground on the date and time allocated and we ask that you respect social distancing measures and health and safety advice.

During their visit the children will have the opportunity to meet their Primary 1 teacher, visit their classroom and walk round the school. A staff member of the ECC and school will be there to assist your child. The children will also have a chance to take part in a short and safe activity within their classroom. The visit will last for approximately 30 minutes. While your child/children are in the school, parents will be able to meet in the playground with Mr Maddocks or a member of the school management team for a short talk and to ask any questions that you may have. Please again respect social distancing measures and advice during this time.

We fully appreciate that children starting school is an anxious time for children and families even in normal circumstances.  I hope that the arrangements made help somewhat to reduce those anxieties and that we can support you and your children as they make the important transition from nursery to primary school.

I will be providing information about class structure and classes tomorrow.  You will also find information about who your child’s teacher will be in the report that is being posted out this week.

We look forward to meeting you and your children on either the 24th or 25th June.

Thank you

Mr Maddocks            Avril Holmes
Head Teacher           Depute Manager ECC

Head Teacher Update

Wednesday 10th June 2020 14:17

Hi,

I hope that you and your families are well.

This is a short update to let you know about information that I will be providing over the next couple of days.

We are finalising arrangements for pre-school children who are starting Primary 1 in August and current Primary 7 children to have one visit to the school before the end of term.  Following East Ayrshire guidance we will only be able to invite children into school for a short period of time and will not be able to have all of the new Primary 1s or current Primary 7s at one time.  Further and more specific information will follow this week.  I would like to thank all staff who have been involved in putting this together.

I will also be in a position to share information about class structure this week.  I will post information about this either tomorrow or Friday to inform of class structure and who your child / children’s teacher will be for next session.

With regards to children returning in August, unfortunately I am not in a position to provide any information at the moment.  We are working together with East Ayrshire Council to provide them with the appropriate information to ensure that we can ensure the best possible provision for your children in the current situation in accordance with the national guidelines.  As soon as I am able to share plans with you about this I will be in touch.  I have been asked to advise you that there has not yet been a confirmed start date in August for children or staff.  I would also like to remind you of the Head of Education’s message that there is no expectation for children to wear school uniform during the early stages of next session.  At Drongan Primary School we are proud that all of our children do wear school uniform, but I understand and appreciate both the logistical and financial pressures around this at the moment.

Please keep an eye on the app over the next couple of days for information about transition and class structure and I hope to be able to inform you about the August arrangements as soon as possible.

Thank you
Sean Maddocks
Head Teacher
sean.maddocks@east-ayrshire.gov.uk
tom.mcfadzean@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

Clothing Grant / Free School Meals

Tuesday 9th June 2020 08:45

Good morning,

A few parents have been asking about clothing grant forms. This process is now completed online. Please follow the link below to find out if you’re entitled to a clothing grant and free school meals, to find out how much you will receive and to complete online application process.

Prizegiving Trophies

Monday 8th June 2020 10:47

Good morning,

As we mentioned in a previous message, Drongan Primary School are still looking to celebrate the achievements of our pupils for this session. Although we will not be able to hold our Prizegiving service as normal, we will be awarding our pupils with certificates to recognise their hard work.

We are asking for the trophies awarded last year to be returned to the school as soon as possible. This will enable us to have them prepared in the hope we can get them engraved and awarded to the winners when we return for the next school session. If your child won a trophy last year, can it please be returned to the school and placed in the box at the main entrance.

The trophies awarded to be returned are:
-Senior Girls’ Sports Cup
-Senior Boys’ Sports Cup
-Football Trophies x3 (Player of the Year, Players’ Player and Most Improved Player)
-Netball Trophies x3 (Player of the Year, Players’ Player and Most Improved Player)
-Scots Verse Award Shields x2 (P1-3 winner and P4-7 winner)
-Caring for the School Environment Cup
-Health Lifestyle Award Cups (P4-7 winner)
-Stuart Cuthbert Memorial Cup (for aspiring young artists)
-Kerrie Stuart Award Cup

We are aiming to announce our prize winners on the school app and blog very soon and they will be awarded with their certificates and prizes when we see the pupils at the beginning of next session. We will ensure our P7 prize winners receive their certificates and prizes before the summer break.

Thank you for your support.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

EAC Wellbeing and Mental Health

Monday 8th June 2020 09:19

Please see message below from EAC regarding wellbeing and mental health area that has been created on EAC website.

East Ayrshire Council have developed a dedicated Wellbeing Website at  https://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/SocialCareAndHealth/Wellbeing/Wellbeing.aspxwhich is filled with advice on mental wellbeing, exercise, healthy eating and new activities to try. It also has a range of supports for those who may be struggling. There is a dedicated section for Children, Young People, Parents and Carers which I hope you will find particularly helpful during these challenging times. We will continue to add to this section therefore it would be helpful if you could email any suggestions to healthandsafety@east-ayrshire.gov.uktogether with any feedback on the current content.

Update

Friday 5th June 2020 09:57

Hi,

Please note that you can find letters to parents / carers and also pupils from Head of Education in the news section of the app and on the school blog.

We are currently working through various processes as detailed in the letter and will let you know specific details as soon as we are able to do so.

We do hope to invite our new Primary 1s and current Primary 7s into school at some point during the last week in June. This will require to be small numbers of children for short periods of time.  Further details will follow when I am able to confirm.

We are also in the planning stage for the blended model in Augusat and again will communicate plans as soon as we possibly can.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks

Best Start Grant for New P1 Pupils – School Age Payment

Tuesday 2nd June 2020 20:41

From yesterday (1st June) applications will be accepted for the Best Start Grant – School Age Payment, worth £250 to eligible families for children about to start school in Primary 1 to help with the costs of a child starting school. This money can be used for anything that families may need at this key stage in a child’s life.

You do not need to take up a place in school after the summer to get this payment but any parent who has deferred entry until August 2021 should also make the application NOW if their child’s birthday falls between 1 March 2015 and 29 February 2016. When to apply for School Age Payment depends on when your child was born, not when they start school so any parent who defers their child’s entry to school to next year may miss out if they don’t apply now. Applications will open on 1 June 2020 until 28 February 2021 for children who were born between 1 March 2015 and 29 February 2016.

Last year when the payment was introduced, the School Age Payment was paid out to the parents/guardians of 514 children starting P1 in East Ayrshire. 41% of the entire school intake in 2019. With the financial impact of the Coronavirus outbreak hitting many people right now with reduced incomes and increase in benefit entitlement, it is anticipated that the number of families eligible for this payment will be significantly higher and applications  are encouraged.

To apply, call the Freephone number 0800 182 2222 and leave your details. You will then receive a call back to make the application.

This message will be added to the news feed in the app with a link to the Scottish Government factsheet on the payment for your information.

Thank you.

DRS Helping Hands Craft Packs

Tuesday 2nd June 2020 10:30

Good morning,

Just a quick message to say that it was a pleasure to get out and deliver the Craft Packs to our primary pupils yesterday. It helped that the weather was so nice! It was great getting the chance to see and speak to so many of our pupils and families. The packs were left at the door of any houses that we did not manage to get an answer, so we hope you have now all received them.

Thanks again to The DRS Helping Hands group and the Coalfield Regeneration Trust for funding and organising this. They are doing incredible work to support the local community.

Please get in touch if you did not receive a pack and we will get it sorted for you.

Thank you.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Pupil Consultation

Tuesday 2nd June 2020 09:46

Good morning,

We are currently thinking about our school improvement plan and wanted to get some feedback from our pupils. We know it has been a strange time and that when we come back to school in August things will be a bit different from normal, so we have asked for some ideas and suggestions about how we can support you on your return. We are asking if pupils can follow the link below to answer the three questions. Younger pupils will need some support to complete this Form (this week if possible). The link is also being posted to all of the class Teams pages for children to access as well.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKcP00GXwmQVIg1haQ6EEPMFUMVQwQzdKNFIwTDJOSDZEVUhENjBFTk5SVC4u

Thank you.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Resource Packs

Monday 1st June 2020 11:46

Hi,

Just a quick message to let you know that some of the staff with the help of some hub children are out and about delivering the resource packs today.  They will leave the resource packs at your front door and chap your door.

Thank you very much once again to The Helping Hands group and Coalhall Community Trust for funding and organising this.

Please get in touch if you do not receive a pack.

Thank you

Primary 7 Hoodies

Thursday 28th May 2020 12:19

Good afternoon,

There have been a few queries about the P7 Leaver’s Hoodies, and when the pupils can expect to get them. When the country went into lockdown back in March, unfortunately the shop we have placed the order with (same shop as previous years) had to close as per government regulations before our order had been started.

We have been trying to contact the shop over the past month and we received an email back yesterday. Here is what the email said:

“We are still in lockdown but hopefully we’ll be allowed to open in about 3 weeks time. This should be the next stage of government lockdown relaxation. We should have the hoodies ready about 2 to 3 weeks after reopening. It will be manic when we reopen, and I suspect the supply chain will not be flowing as smoothly as it normally is…”

We estimate that it will be a minimum of 6 weeks before the Leavers’ Hoodies are going to be ready. As a school we are still keen to proceed with the order and the hoodies will be made available for collection at the school as soon as we are able to collect them (this does look like being during summer break). Although they won’t have them until the summer, they are still a great keepsake of their time at Drongan Primary.

We understand if you would like to cancel your order and in this case a full refund will be issued. However, we need to let the supplier know ASAP if there are any changes to the order. Could all parents please follow the link below, which will lead you to a question to write your child’s name and let us know if you would still like to proceed with your order or not. Please also use the question to indicate if you would like to alter the size of the hoodie you have ordered (if you can’t remember the size you ordered, please email Mrs Tait on earosina.tait@glow.sch.uk to check).

Please complete this Form and submit it by Friday 5th June, to allow us to contact the supplier.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKcP00GXwmQVIg1haQ6EEPMFUOVcxUUJNVVZDVUszUjJFMTNLSzFDSVpXVy4u

We are sorry for the delay, but as you can see it has been outwith our control. Thank you for your patience.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Prizegiving – Schaw Kirk Caring Award Nominations

Thursday 28th May 2020 10:53

Although we will not be able to hold our Prizegiving service as normal, Drongan Primary are still looking to celebrate the achievements of our pupils for this session.

One of the awards we normally present is the Schaw Kirk Caring Award. Nominations are usually sent in by  parents/carers or a member of the community, where they nominate a child/pupil who has stood out for being kind/helpful/hardworking for either their family or the wider community.

If you would like to nominate a pupil, please follow the link below. This will lead you to a question, where you can nominate a pupil and give a brief description of why they deserve this award. Please leave your name at the end of the nomination as well.

Nominations must be made by Friday 5th June 2020. 

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKcP00GXwmQVIg1haQ6EEPMFURTMyUENSME82SDNMRjdYOE4zWDI5MUhZQS4u

Thank you.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Head Teacher Update

Wednesday 27th May 2020 09:52

Hi,

Just a quick update to inform you that Primary School reports will be posted out to home addresses this week. You should receive your child’s / children’s report early next week.  Please note that the attainment levels were the predicted teacher judgements of where children would have been at the end of the session if normal education provision had continued.

We have now attempted to contact all families and it has been lovely to hear the very positive feedback both from staff, parents and children about the phone calls.  Teaching staff will be contacting families again over the next couple of weeks.  If you have not been contacted it may be because you’re contact details are not up to date on our system.  Please email Mrs Gibson to update your contact details but only if you have not yet been contacted by the school.  Mrs Gibson’s email address is catherine.gibson@east-ayrshire.gov.uk.

I know that the Primary 7s are keen to receive their leavers’ hoodies.  We are doing all we can to contact the supplier but unfortunately we are still waiting to hear back from them.  Mrs Tait is going to try to contact them again later this week and we are also emailing the company to find out what is happening.  I can only assure you that we are doing all we possibly can to find out information and if the company are unable to produce the hoodies then a full refund will be issued.

I have a further meeting later this week with Head of Education and East Ayrshire Council officers around arrangements for June and looking ahead to August.  I hope to be able to provide more information as soon as possible.

As always, thank you very much for the ongoing support that you have shown during these times.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks
Head Teacher
sean.maddocks@east-ayrshire.gov.uk
tom.mcfadzean@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

Thursday 21st May

Hi

Hope you are well and staying safe.

I am sure that you will have followed the First Minister today regarding Scotland’s route map to easing restrictions and also around education provision.

At this time I am not in a position to provide any further information about the fine details of what this will look like in East Ayrshire or indeed Drongan specifically. The Head of Education has scheduled a virtual meeting with all Head Teachers early next week. As always, I will endeavour to keep you as informed as I possibly can.

Tuesday 19th May

This is Mental Health Awareness Week with a difference. Many of us are worried about coronavirus and how it will affect us and those we love. This is why we are encouraging you to #SpeakYourMind and reach out to someone who needs a friend with a positive message, or share with them your own tips for coping to make sure they don’t have to face this pandemic alone.

https://www.mind.org.uk/get-involved/mental-health-awareness-week/

Please follow this link to the website for a wide range of resources and materials. if your children complete any activities or tasks, please share them on their Teams page or share them on Twitter with us.

Thank you                                                                                                                            Mr McFadzean                                                                                                             DHT

Tuesday 19th May

At this time of year we review the progress that we have made to inform our improvement priorities for the following session. Over the last couple of years we have gathered parental feedback during our parents’ evenings and open afternoons. Due to the fact tat we won’t have the opportunity to do so this year, I hope that you will be able to complete this very short form to provide your opinions and suggestions, as we continue on our journey of improvement. Please follow the link below to answer the three questions.

We will be collating your feedback next week, so the deadline for completing this form is Wednesday 27th  May.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this form.

Mr Maddocks                                                                                                                          Head Teacher

Monday 18th May

This week all children have been entered into East Ayrshire Council’s Sumdog Challenge! To take part simple play Sumdog’s maths games. Scores are based on accuracy and questions tailored to each student’s level – so everyone has a fair chance. As a reward for taking part, each pupil who answers 100 questions will receive an item for their Sumdog House. The challenge will finish at 8pm on Thursday 21st May.  There are two leader-boards, one for the collective scores of the class, the other for individual participation. During the contest period pupils will see the contestr activity on their homepage. Any games they play when this is showing will count towards their score.

Sunday 17th May

As previously mentioned, each week we will be sending out a weekly plan for each class. These plans have been created by your child’s teacher to help support and guide learning at home. The plans will be send out attached to a news story on the App, as well as being available on our school blog (in the school information tab). These plans are in no way prescriptive and we have to stress that they are aimed at providing structure, guidance and direction for you as to what kind of activities your child could do each day.

The news stories with the plans attached will be sent with a notification for each specific stage/class. You can edit which classes you receive notifications for on the school App.

Welcome To Drongan PS and ECC

Thank you

P7 Online Transition Meeting 

Next Thursday (21st) at 11am Mr Tickner and Mr Beattie from Auchinleck Academy will be holding a live online meeting on Microsoft Teams for our P7 pupils.  This meeting is focused on Transition and there will be opportunities for the children to ask questions during the meeting.

It would be great if all our P7 pupils could be involved.  Mr Tickner and Mr Beattie will be added to the P7 Teams page and will set up the meeting for the children to accept. Please sprerad the word so all of our P7 children know the time and date. If you are having issues accessing Teams please refer to the message sent on the App yesterday about online access. You will find contact email addresses for myself and Mrs Cowie. We are more than happy to help reset passwords and support our pupils to get online for the meeting.

Thank you                                                                                                                            Mr McFadzean                                                                                                                      DHT

Head Teacher Update

Friday 15th May 2020 12:30

Hi,

I hope you and your families are all well and staying safe.

First of all thank you for everything that you are doing to support your child’s wellbeing and learning during this difficult time.  We have now managed to contact almost all families over the last couple of weeks and I know from speaking to the staff that they really enjoyed having the opportunity to check in with you and are encouraged by these conversations.

Home Learning

We have endeavoured to provide as much support with regards to home learning as we possibly can; however, I know that there have been and will no doubt continue to be various challenges around this.  The feedback has been extremely positive about the support provided and communication from the school and ECC.

We are encouraged by the fact that many children are accessing online resources and are communicating with their class teacher through Microsoft Teams on Glow.  Understandably, the percentages of engagement are higher among our older children who can more confidently access this independently.  Feedback from parents does suggest that there is a preference to work with children using physical resources rather than requiring to access online resources or websites.  Reflecting on this feedback we have decided to provide all classes with a suggested weekly plan of activities.  This is in no way prescriptive and I have to stress that it is something that is aimed to provide structure, guidance and direction for you as to what kind of activities your children could do each day.  The weekly plans will be available on the school app on Monday and will be released as a news story rather than a message, so please keep an eye out for this on Monday.

Teachers will still continue to be available to communicate with children on Microsoft Teams and will also continue to share any new ideas that they have using this platform.  I am fully aware of the challenges around Glow and Teams and that some people may still be having difficulties accessing this tool.  This is one of the reasons that we have decided to provide a suggested weekly plan of activities and communicate this through the app on a weekly basis.  We will also continue to use Twitter and Glow blogs to provide updates, news and daily links to activities.

We have also produced updated packs of activities for each stage.  These are available to be collected from the front entrance of the school between 9.15am – 2.45pm.  If you know that your child may require support in their learning then you are more than welcome to take a pack for the previous stage.  Likewise, if your child requires more challenge then please take a pack from the next stage; however, the activities are tailored appropriately to each stage.

Reports and Transition

Children’s end of year reports have now been completed for both the Primary and ECC.  These will be issued as soon as possible and will be posted to children’s home address.
ECC children who are due to start in the primary in August should receive a transition booklet that has been produced to provide information for children and families.  We are also looking at other ways in which we can support our pre-school children in their transition to Primary 1.
We are in regular communication with staff from Robert Burns Academy and are looking at various options to support our Primary 7 children with their transition.  A P7 transition meeting with Academy staff has been arranged to take place on Microsoft Teams next Thursday 21st at 11am.  There is more information to follow on this and you will be updated early next week.  At the moment we do not have any further information regarding the Barony Campus but will keep you as up to date as we possibly can.

Hub Provision

The Drongan Hub continues to be an emergency childcare provision only for children of key workers or who are in some way vulnerable.  If you require to use the service please complete the online form that can be found on East Ayrshire Council’s website in the Covid-19 section.

I continue to be encouraged by the way in which the community has come together throughout this situation.  I visited the Community Centre on Monday to see the great work being carried out by our Helping Hands group and would like to thank those involved who are supporting this provision.  I know that there other examples of people showing much needed community spirit and we as a school and ECC community are more than happy to support this great work and be involved in any way we can.

As is always the case if you have any questions or require further information please contact either myself or Mr McFadzean by email at any time.

I hope this information is helpful, we will continue to keep you as up to date and informed as possible.  Take care of yourselves and your families and tell all of the children that we are missing them.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks

Sean.maddocks@east-ayrshire.gov.uk
Tom.mcfadzean@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

Home Learning Packs

Friday 15th May 2020 12:07

Good afternoon,

We have copied more Home Learning Refill packs for each stage, which will continue to be available at the front of the school every day during school hours. We have also placed some jotters and blank workbooks (with lined / squared paper) outside with the packs, in case your child requires one.

There is no pressure to come and collect a new pack, as we are aware children are still working through the initial pack they took home in March. We hope the variety of work our teachers are providing online, within the Home Learning Packs and through our Daily Links is providing good support for learning at home.

Thank you.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Online Access Support Reminder

Thursday 14th May 2020 13:36

** Reminder **

We would like to remind you that our teachers are sharing learning resources for their pupils through online platforms such as Microsoft Teams (through Glow or desktop app), Bug Club and Sumdog.

If you are having issues accessing any of these online resources, please contact either your child’s teacher or a member of the management team via email (see below). We will then be able to reset passwords so children can access a wide range of resources.

Accessing Microsoft Teams can be done by logging into Glow and selecting Microsoft Teams app from the Launch Pad. Once you have accessed Teams through Glow initially, you can download it as a desktop app (by selecting this option from the bottom left of the screen on Teams). It can also be downloaded as an app onto tablets and smartphones. In order to log in to the Microsoft Teams app, you must put in your full username and password for Glow when prompted (e.g. gw14smith.john@glow.sch.uk). You must put the @glow.sch.uk at the end of the username for it to work. This will make future access to Microsoft Teams much easier. You can use this to access lesson plans/ideas and resources from teachers, as well as have a chat with your teacher and classmates.

On Bug Club, pupils now have access to their reading resources, as well as Maths Factor, Spelling & Grammar and Science Bug, so please keep an eye out for resources being shared via that online platform.

We understand that not everyone can access the online resources, but they are working through their home learning packs (refill packs available at school if required) or other activities at home. This is absolutely fine and any work that can be done at home is beneficial. Hearing stories of children cooking, making their beds and learning to ride their bikes has been brilliant. We are looking at ways to provide more home learning materials that can be collected and used at home offline and will keep you up to date with this.

We are also sharing a ‘Daily Link’ every day on the school app and twitter. These links are to different resources and activities to provide variety. There is no expectation that you will complete everything; we just want to make sure there is plenty of choice.

If you need to contact a member of the management team with any concerns about work, or to get a password reset, please see the email addresses below.

Mr Maddocks – easean.maddocks@glow.sch.uk
Mr McFadzean – eatom.mcfadzean@glow.sch.uk
Mrs Bradley – eamelanie.bradley@glow.sch.uk
Mrs Cowie – ealynsey.cowie@glow.sch.uk

Thank you for your continued support in these uncertain times.

P7 Leaver’s Video

Wednesday 13th May 2020 15:34

Good afternoon P7 parents / carers (and pupils),

I have been speaking to the P7 teachers and we have decided that we would like to create a Leaver’s Video for our ‘Class of 2020’.

In order to do this, we are looking to see if you have any photos that can be uploaded to their Teams page online. Ideally we are looking for 4 photos from each pupil, one from when they were a baby, one from being a toddler or at nursery, one from school and one from now during lockdown!

I have created a folder for each pupil in the ‘Files’ section of their P7 Teams page. Their individual folder can be found in the ‘P7 Leavers Photos’ folder. It would also be helpful if photos could be labelled with your child’s name, just in case they get mixed up. There is also a folder called ‘Group Photos’, where pupils can upload class photos from years gone by or group photos with their friends.

I will send this message out to the P7s on their Teams page as well, where we will also get the chance to discuss the music to go with their photo slideshow. Please spread this message around all of our P7s, as we want every pupil to be involved.

We will keep you posted with details of the Leaver’s Video and make it available for download as soon as it is ready. The sooner we get the photos, the sooner it can be created.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Home Learning Refill Packs

Wednesday 13th May 2020 13:47

Reminder

We still have ‘Home Learning Refill Packs’ available at the front of the school if you need one for your child/children. Please note that we are running low on packs for some stages, but these will be topped up on Friday when we have some additional staff in the Hub to copy them.

Thank you.

Home Learning Refill Packs

Monday 11th May 2020 14:18

Good afternoon,

As mentioned on Friday, we have been printing off ‘Home Learning Refill Packs’ with lots of new Literacy and Numeracy activities/resources that can be done offline at home.
The packs (for stages P1 – P7) will be placed outside of the front entrance of the school from tomorrow (12th May) for collection. Thank you for your responses to the questionnaire to request a pack, as this has allowed us to ensure we have enough copied to meet the initial demand.
Please note we will continue to copy more packs should we run out for a specific stage.
Please ensure you continue to follow social distancing rules when collecting the packs from the school. Thank you for your continued support and stay safe.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Home Learning Refill Packs

Friday 8th May 2020 17:54

Drongan PS are currently printing off ‘Home Learning Refill Packs’ with lots of new Literacy and Numeracy activities/resources that can be done offline at home. We are creating packs for Primary 1 to Primary 7 that have a range of resources, some of which are differentiated within the pack to support all learners. Please note the packs are for each stage in the school, not individual classes.

The purpose of this Form is to gauge how many packs we will need to copy for each stage. We are aiming to have the packs ready by the middle of next week for collection from the front of the school. If you would like to collect a pack, please complete the question below (by 9am on Monday 11th) to indicate the stage(s) of pack(s) you will need. This will ensure that we are prioritising our copying to meet the demand. Please only complete the Form if you need to collect a pack next week. This will support our staff with photocopying and allow us to spread the demand out over a couple of weeks. Refill packs will continue to be available for the foreseeable future.

Please follow the link below if you would like to ‘order’ a refill pack. Please keep an eye out on the school app for an update on when the packs will be available next week.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKcP00GXwmQVIg1haQ6EEPMFUQklFV1VBQ1M0WldDM1paNkYyN0pHV0NESC4u

Thank you.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

School Nursing Services

Tuesday 5th May 2020 14:42

Hi,

It has been brought to my attention that the school nursing service are available to help and support with any children who have health needs.  If you have any concerns during this time please contact the School Nurse Hub on 01563 545737 .

Thank you

Anti-bullying Policy Update

Monday 4th May 2020 11:08

**Reminder**

Thank you if you have taken the time to complete the questionnaire below. The average time to complete the parent questionnaire is just 3 minutes. Today I have posted the link to the pupil questionnaire onto the P4-7 Microsoft Teams pages. Younger pupils may need some help to complete.

We are currently working alongside East Ayrshire Council to review our Anti-Bullying Policy and would appreciate some feedback and input from our children and families.  Below there are links to online forms to complete, one for children and one for parents / carers.  If you could complete the form by Friday 8th May we would really appreciate it.  The help of parents / carers will be required to support children to complete their form, ensuring they fully understand the questions.

Parent/Carer questionnaire link:
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKcP00GXwmQVIg1haQ6EEPMFUOUNFNUk0TUNPQlA1QjM4WEtEQ0dZVkY2Ri4u

Pupil questionnaire link:
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKcP00GXwmQVIg1haQ6EEPMFUQ0kwUU01MUsxWkczN0xNUjE5OU1VMURIMi4u

Thank you in advance for your support.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Home Digital Learning Access

Monday 4th May 2020 10:55

**Reminder**

We are currently reviewing our IT provision and home learning for all pupils. In order to support us in the planning for this we are looking for some information from our parents / carers. We are looking to see if any of our children don’t have access to a device or internet at home to support learning. We are also looking to find out if families with more 3 or more children at school only have shared access to one device, as we know how restricting this can be for digital learning.

If you feel that any of these three areas applies to you, could you please email Mr McFadzean by 3pm on Monday 4th May with the name of your child/children and class(es), along with what your access troubles are (either point 1, 2 or 3 below). This will allow us to feed this information back to East Ayrshire Council.

The three points to consider are:

1. If you do not have access to the internet
  2. If you do not have a device (tablet, laptop, computer) at home to allow children to access online learning opportunities
  3. If you have 3 or more children at school and only have access to one device

If you fall into any of these three areas, could you please email Mr McFadzean at the address below before the time and date stated to allow us to feedback accurately to East Ayrshire Council.

eatom.mcfadzean@glow.sch.uk

Thank you once again for your support.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Home Digital Learning Access

Thursday 30th April 2020 13:56

Good afternoon,

If you feel that any of these three areas applies to you, could you please email Mr McFadzean by 3pm on Monday 4th May with the name of your child/children and class(es), along with what your access troubles are (either point 1, 2 or 3 below). This will allow us to feed this information back to East Ayrshire Council.

The three points to consider are:

eatom.mcfadzean@glow.sch.uk

Thank you once again for your support.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Phone Calls

Wednesday 29th April 2020 10:51

Good morning,

As Mr Maddocks mentioned yesterday in a message, over the next couple of weeks we hope to contact all children / families by telephone. We just wanted to make you aware that calls may come from a private or withheld phone number. The purpose of the calls is just to have a quick informal check in with you and your child/children to see how things are going.

Thank you.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Anti-bullying Policy Update

Tuesday 28th April 2020 15:26

Parent/Carer questionnaire link:

Pupil questionnaire link:

Thank you in advance for your support.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Head Teacher Update / Staff Contact

Tuesday 28th April 2020 13:33

Hi,

I hope you are all keeping safe during the school closure. It has been nice to hear from some families who have been asking for advice on how to access Glow / Teams and some of the other online resources available.  Thank you very much to Mr McFadzean who has provided some further guidance today on previous message.  As Mr McFadzean stated, we appreciate that not all families can access online resources however, I want to stress that we are here to help you in any way we can if you require support in this area.

The emphasis at the moment is to focus on the wellbeing of your children and to do what you can, when you can.

Over the next couple of weeks we hope to contact all children / families by telephone.  This is just to have a quick informal check in with you and your children to see how things are going.  If you have any questions at all the teachers or members of management will be happy to help in any way we can.

As always we will continue to keep you as up to date and informed of developments regarding the current situation.

Say hello to the children from all of the staff and we look forward to contacting you over the next week or two.

Thank you
Mr Maddocks
sean.maddocks@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

Online Access – Glow, Teams, Bug Club, Sumdog

Tuesday 28th April 2020 12:01

Good afternoon,

Accessing Microsoft Teams can be done by logging into Glow and selecting Microsoft Teams app from the Launch Pad. Once you have accessed Teams through Glow initially, you can download it as a desktop app (by selecting this option from the bottom left of the screen on Teams). It can also be downloaded as an app onto tablets and smartphones. In order to log in to the Microsoft Teams app, you must put in your full username and password for Glow when prompted (e.g. gw14smith.john@glow.sch.uk). You mustput the @glow.sch.uk at the end of the username for it to work. This will make future access to Microsoft Teams much easier. You can use this to access lesson plans/ideas and resources from teachers, as well as have a chat with your teacher and classmates.

We understand that not everyone can access the online resources, but they are working through their home learning packs or other activities at home. This is absolutely fine and any work that can be done at home is beneficial. Hearing stories of children cooking, making their beds and learning to ride their bikes has been brilliant. We are looking at ways to provide more home learning materials that can be collected and used at home offline and will keep you up to date with this.

Mrs Cowie – ealynsey.cowie@glow.sch.uk

Finally, I would like to say thank you for your continued support in these difficult times. All of the staff are missing the pupils of Drongan Primary School and ECC and we are very much looking forward to a time that we are all back at school together. Until then, stay safe.

Mr McFadzean
DHT

Head Teacher Message

Monday 20th April 2020 14:30

Hi,

First of all I want to say that I hope you and your families are all well and are staying safe during these strange times.  I hope you managed to enjoy the Easter break under the current restrictions, at least the weather has been on our side.

We really wish that we were welcoming all of the children back to school today to begin the summer term.  Unfortunately as you will know the government have stated that they cannot predict when school will reopen and current measures will remain in place until further notice.

Below is a link to the Scottish Government website where it provides guidance about home learning for pupils, parents / carers and teachers.   Again it reiterates that parents are not expected to be teachers, however, there is an important role to play in supporting your child / children in their home learning.  It also advises that information around transitions at key stages will be provided early in May.  This is something we have been thinking about and we will do everything we can to ensure transitions are as smooth as possible.
https://www.gov.scot/news/guidance-for-home-learning/

Mr McFadzean detailed earlier today the various ways that we are doing what we can to support you and your children in home learning.  All children received home learning packs which they can continue to work through at a suitable pace.  There are also various digital learning opportunities such as Bug Club and Sumdog that children can access and the can log on to Microsoft Teams and speak to their teacher and other children in a safe environment.  Where possible teachers will also be posting new ideas and tasks on Teams for children to access and undertake.  We will also continue to post a ’daily link’ through the app and on Twitter for you to access.  The ECC will continue to post daily to provide ideas of activities to carry out with your children.

I appreciate that Glow has been working quite slowly due to the amount of people accessing it at one time.  I have been advised that work has been done over the holidays to support home learning on Glow so hopefully it should run more smoothly.

We appreciate the challenges involved in home learning and hope that what we are doing is helpful.  There are some great ideas out there and I know that my children have been enjoying the Joe Wicks workout in the mornings to get them going.  Try not to worry about things, just do what you can and try to ensure there is an emphasis on fun.

If there is anything that you need to contact me about then feel free to email me using the address below.

Thank you

Sean Maddocks
Head Teacher

Sean.maddocks@east-ayrshire.gov.uk

Help your community and family stay safe.

Thursday 9th April 2020 17:21

Help your community and family stay safe…Please DO NOT use the local play park equipment.

We know how difficult it is, trying to stop your son or daughter from playing in our local play parks, especially if they have spent all day inside.

Your local community have asked us to remind you that coronavirus spreads through droplets and touch and can stay on surfaces for up to 72 hours.

By avoiding using the local play parks, you will reduce cross contamination and will help keep your community safe, helping save lives.  Please enjoy your open spaces responsibly and maintain social distancing.

Thank you and keep safe.

Sent To You By East Ayrshire Council

Easter Holidays

Thursday 2nd April 2020 15:25

Hi,

I hope you and your families are all well and coping ok with the measures in place.

Under normal circumstances we would be about to go in to a two week break for the Eater holidays.  Although the school will remain open for children of key workers, supported by Drongan Primary and ECC staff, it is technically still being regarded as a holiday period.  This means that there will be much less, if any communication from teaching staff via Glow and and Teams.  I would urge you to allow your children to have a break from any work that they have been doing.

Once again I would just like to highlight the commitment of all of the staff who have been fantastic throughout.  Also, thank you to you for supporting the children during this uncertain time.

It will be a very strange Easter break for all of us.  I hope circumstances allow you to make the most of it and spend as much quality time with your children as possible.

Finally, once again, the thoughts and support of the Drongan community is with all of the key workers who are working throughout this period.  Stay safe, and thank you for your efforts.

Wishing you all a relaxing and safe Easter.

Mr Maddocks
Head Teacher