Primary 3/4 – Mrs Ferguson, Mrs Cook

Friday 26th June

Good Morning P3/4! I can’t believe its the last day of term. I don’t think any of us will forget this year in a hurry! Mrs Ferguson and I just wanted to tell you how proud we are of all of you for coping so well and working so hard at home.  We have missed you all so much and can’t wait to see your wee smiling faces when we return in August.  We hope you all have a wonderful summer and have great fun playing and making memories with your friends and family.

Today in school would have been my favourite day of the year, “The Last Day”, where I would usually ask everyone to bring in their favourite board games for us all to play.  So that’s my task for you today. Play some board games! I’ll be doing it with Adam too, especially as the weather is so awful today. Fingers crossed we get a bit more sunshine soon.

We’ll still be checking our emails over the summer so if there is anything exciting you get up to over during the holidays, we would love to hear from you. Even if you just fancy a wee blether.

Take care boys and girls and have a wonderful Summer!

Mrs Cook and Mrs Ferguson xxx

eaerin.cook@glow.sch.uk        eajill.ferguson@glow.sch.uk

_________________________________________________________________________Wednesday 24th June

Good morning primary 3/4, it‘s Mrs Schendel here.  I have the pleasure this morning of introducing you to your teacher for next year.  Her name is Miss Feighan (pronounced Fee-gan) and she is so excited to meet to all.  She has been in school this week to meet myself, Mrs Govans and some of the other staff and I have taken her a tour around the school and shown her your classroom.  She has lots of great plans for you and I am sure you will give her a great big Catrine welcome.  Here is a video of her saying hello.

If you have any questions for Miss Feighan you can email me at roberta.schendel@eastayrshire.org.uk and I will pass them on to her.

Have a lovely Wednesday.

Mrs Schendel

Monday 22nd June

Good morning primary 3/4! Welcome to your bump up week. You should have found out that your new teacher is Miss Feigan who is new to the school. She is looking so forward to meeting you all and finding out more about you.

With only one week left until the summer holidays. It’s not long until you move into primary 4/5 – how exciting! Down below is a form for any questions that you might have. On Wednesday, there will be a video with all your questions  answered! You might want to ask something about your new class or something about your new teacher.

We look forward to hearing from you all!

Miss Robb (on behalf of Miss Feigan) 🙂

Friday 18th June

Good morning P3/4! It’s Friday again and after today we only have one week left. Can you believe it?  It has been the quickest yet strangest term ever.  Next week we will be having a bit of a “virtual bump up week” so keep your eyes peeled on this page to find out more.

Today, I would like you to think back on your time in P3/4. What was your best memory from the year? Maybe it was something funny that happened in class, or something you really enjoyed learning.  Maybe you have a topic that you loved or perhaps you were able to do something for the first time this year.  Have a good think and then decide how you are going to record this memory.  You could write it down on paper like a story or you could illustrate it like a comic or perhaps you could even record yourself on camera.  Whatever you choose, I would love to see your memory.  Please email me on eaerin.cook@glow.sch.uk or add it to your blog.

I’ve had to get up super early this morning to post this as it’s my turn to go into school today and I’m so excited!  I can’t wait to see the other members of staff who will be in and start to get organised for August.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend and I’ll speak to you next week.

Mrs Cook

_________________________________________________________________________Wednesday 17th June

Happy Wednesday Everyone.  I was very lucky yesterday because I was able to have my first day back in school and it was great!  It was lovely to see some of the staff and start getting ready for after the summer.  It certainly wasn’t the same without you all though! I miss you all very much! But all the staff are being very busy bees getting everything sorted so we can wish you back safely when the time is right.

Today I thought we could keep our focus on money by looking at change.  Number lines are really good to use when calculating change.  First, draw your line and put the price of the item (or total) at the left hand side and amount you give at the right hand side.  Then start at the left and ‘jump’ until you get to the right.  Then add up the ‘jumps’.  Its like the Adding Up strategy we used in Number Talks.  In this example my item cost 25p and I paid with £1.  You can see when I add up the ‘jumps’ that my change would be 75p (5+20+50).

You can practise this at home in lots of ways.  You could set up a shop and calculate your customers change.  Or complete this worksheet where you have to check whether the change is correct or not…

Check Your Change

or this is a good online game you might enjoy…

https://natwest.mymoneysense.com/students/students-5-8/the-change-game/

I know a lot of you have been enjoying reading some books during Lockdown so I’d love to hear about your favourite.  This book review might help you.

Book Review 2

I’d love to hear about your favourite book so remember you can email Mrs Cook and I at any time.

Missing you all,

Mrs Ferguson

Monday 15th June

Good morning everyone. I can’t believe we are in the middle of June already! Last week was our first Sumdog Maths competition and I was so pleased to see many of you taking part. Well done to you all! It was a really close competition but the top 3 places were:

1. Orren
  2. Josh L
  3. Ashton

Maths

This week I thought we could focus on money. I thought this activity would be quite fun. Using coins and notes, try to make the amount in each section. You can make them as challenging as you like!

I have also set up a Money Challenge on Sumdog this week and will post the top 3 results again next week.  Good luck!

This week we are continuing to focus on our Common Words:

1. many
  2. Miss
  3. Mr
  4. Mrs
  5. number
  6. other
  7. people
  8. right
  9. round
  10. school

Writing:

Most books we read have got some really interesting characters. They can be funny or scary, kind or evil. Think about your favourite characters in some stories you’ve read. One of my favourite characters is the BFG, by Roald Dahl. He is so kind and caring and I love the way he talks. He makes up his own ‘BFG’ language and the words he invents makes me laugh. So this week I’d like you to create your own storybook character. Use your imagination to draw and write about your character. I’d love to see all your characters so remember to email me your work.

Design a Character

Have fun and take care,

Mrs Ferguson

Friday 12th June

Good morning P3/4. I hope you have had a lovely week so far. Is it just me or has this week absolutely flown in? I was so excited to hear that we won the playground equipment from Dunelm Mill and I can’t wait until we can all get together again to play with it.

On Wednesday I set the challenge to design your own packaging and Carter posted a fantastic photo of his design on his blog.  He loves WWE so designed a wrestling themed breakfast snack called WWE-a-bix.  His drawing is fantastic! Well done, Carter!

For maths today I thought we could try some more problem solving activities.  Have a go at these and let me know how you get on.

For something a wee bit different, BBC bitesize has this Spanish lesson where Sergio Aguero will teach you how to count to 12 in Spanish. If you manage it maybe you could see how many more Spanish words you could learn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z42296f

Have fun and I’ll speak to you next week

Mrs Cook

_________________________________________________________________________Wednesday 10th June

Good morning P3/4

I hope you have all had a great week so far.  Yesterday I was having a wee think about what activity we could do today and I saw a lesson on BBC bitesize about designing a package.  It reminded me of something I made for Adam recently.  Adam is the biggest Scooby-Doo fan in the whole world.  He is obsessed and recently my aunt gave him a huge Scooby-Doo teddy that she had found in her loft. He decided that his Scooby teddy needed some Scooby Snacks and asked if I could buy them.  Now, that’s a bit tricky because they don’t sell Scooby Snacks in Tesco or Aldi so I decided to make him a packet.

I got an old box of baby treats from the recycling and I opened it all up to see what is called the “net” of the shape.  I drew around the net of the box like this.

I thought about the name of the product and made sure I wrote this in big, clear letters. I then added some illustrations to make it more eye-catching and added some information on the back. I also coloured in the top, bottom and sides so they weren’t left blank.

When I was finished with the design, I cut it out and glued it on to the box and then taped it all back up.  We even made some shortbread bone-shaped biscuits to go inside but they didn’t last long enough for a picture.

Have a look at the lesson on BBC Bitesize and then perhaps you could try to come up with a type of packaging of your own.  You could design a snack for your favourite film or TV character or you could just redesign the packaging on your favourite snack. You could do what I did and take apart a box from the recycling or you could use the idea on the Bitesize lesson and you could print off a net to create your own box.  Whatever you choose to do, I would love to see your finished designs. Have fun!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zkf8jhv

Mrs Cook

_________________________________________________________________________Monday 8th June

Good morning everyone! What a wonderful time we had last week celebrating our Health Week. I hope you had fun taking part in all the activities. I’ve loved watching your videos! This week I thought we could try something new on Sumdog and I’ve set up a Maths Competition.  I will post the results of the competition next Monday.  Just try your best and have fun!  And remember to log in to your Reading Wise and Active Learn for more activities.

For spelling, I thought we could use the last few weeks of term to take a look at our Common Words.  These words don’t all have the same sound so you need to read them carefully and think about the different sounds in each word.  Maybe you could write them out and underline any tricky bits.  Then choose a spelling strategy to help you learn them.

1. because
  2. bring
  3. day
  4. every
  5. again
  6. eat
  7. found
  8. home
  9. keep
  10. know

Maths:

This week is all about subtracting in 10s. I have included a worksheet that you can complete (either print or show on computer and write your answers). To help you remember you can Google, MathsBot.com, where you will find Hundred Squares or Rekenreks. To complete using a Hundred Square, find the start number then ‘jump down in 10s’ to find your answer. Remember to send me your answers once you have completed your work.

Subracting 10s

Reading:

During Lockdown, I have been enjoying the extra time spent in the garden and one of my new hobbies is watching all the birds that are visiting. I have included a comprehension worksheet about Garden Birds that I thought you might enjoy.

Garden Birds 8th June

Another activity you might like to try this week is creating your own bird feeder. Here is a link to a video to show you how to make one…

https://www.facebook.com/eavibrantcommunities/videos/223254125568823/

Remember you can email Mrs Cook and I at any time to share your work or just tell us your news.  We’d love to hear from you!

Take care,

Mrs Ferguson

Friday 5th June

Good morning P3/4.  I hope you have been enjoying Health Week so far. Today is both Fruity Friday and Sports Day!  For Fruity Friday you could maybe try a new fruit or perhaps you could use your chopping skills (with an adult’s help of course) to make a delicious fruit salad or even try making a refreshing fruit smoothie.  Whatever you do, we would love to hear about it.  You can post about it on your blog or email us.  If you can’t remember your GLOW login or are having trouble logging on you can always ask your parents to send us an email from their own email account, it doesn’t have to be a GLOW account.

For Sports Day we are competing in two events.  First we have our race, which is a combination of hopping and jumping.  We would like you to set out your course, maybe in the back garden or on the pavement outside, and you have to hop all the way up and then jump all the way back.  The second event is a speed bounce challenge.  Pick something small to jump over, maybe a book or a rolled up towel and see how many times you can jump over it, side to side, in 30 seconds.  When you have completed your two events let us know how you got on by emailing us or posting on your blog.

Have fun!

Mrs Cook

eaerin.cook@glow.sch.uk

eajill.ferguson@glow.sch.uk

Wednesday 3rd June

Happy Wednesday! I hope you are all having a fantastic Health Week and managed to complete some of the activities at home.  On Mindfulness Monday I sat in the garden and spent some time sketching some of the lovely flowers.  TikTok Tuesday was a laugh! My girls helped me create this funny, dance video…

video

I hope it makes you smile! It certainly made us laugh! I’d love to see your videos.  Remember you can attach them on an email by pressing the ‘paper clip’ symbol then attaching your video.  My email address is eajill.ferguson@glow.sch.uk

Here is a reminder of the rest of the weeks activities:

Walking Wednesday
Just what the theme suggests! Wednesday is all about getting out and about, safely, and going for a walk. Again, we’d love to see your photographs from your walk. Where will you go and what will you see? Keep your eyes out for any nature you might spot on your way, you could take notes and drawings of any creatures you see along the way.

Thoughtful Thursday
Thursdays focus is kindness and your mission today is to spread as many smiles as you can. Can you think of different ways to make people smile? Maybe you could give everyone in your family a compliment. Prepare a tasty meal for someone to say Thank You. Make a special card or letter for someone to make them smile. And by making the people around you smile, I’m sure you’ll find that you are smiling too!

Fruity Friday
Friday is all about fruit. How many different fruits can you think of? What is your favourite fruit? What is your least favourite? I don’t like bananas, but I’ve been trying to like them as I know that they are really good for you, so I have discovered that I like them in Smoothies along with strawberries. Is there any fruit that you’ve never tried and maybe you could today? Maybe you could make a fruit smoothie, a fruit kebab or fruit salad? A lovely refreshing snack to enjoy after sports day.

I’m looking forward to our Sports Day on Friday.  Remember to think about keeping your mind and body healthy this week and I’d love to see all the different things you have been up to.

Take care,

Mrs Ferguson

Monday 1st June

Good morning everyone and happy Health Week! We are very lucky to have this wonderful weather, lets hope it continues. This week we have a health focus on our activities. Each day has a different theme and remember our week ends with our fun ‘at home’ sports day on Friday. This weeks themes/activities are as follows:

Mindfulness Monday:

Today is all about Mindfulness.
Mindfulness is simply… noticing what is happening right now.
Mindfulness is taking notice of how your body feels and what you see, smell and taste. Maybe you even feel emotions in your body, perhaps through a tightness somewhere, or a good sensation. Mindfulness is also noticing what your mind is doing.
Today you could try some mindfulness art. Take your pencil for a walk then colour and use pattern to complete the spaces. Why not try it outside and enjoy the sunshine at the same time? Or use chalk to create a larger, outdoor picture?

There is also lots of mindfulness games to play in Cosmic Yoga videos. Here is a link to some you might like to try:

https://www.cosmickids.com/mindfulness-meditation-videos-kids/

TikTok Tuesday
Tuesday is all about getting moving! On Tuesday I would like you to create a short, simple dance/fitness routine to one of your favourite songs. Once you have created your dance you could teach it to someone else in your family. And even make a video! Have fun and we can’t wait to see your results!

Walking Wednesday

Thoughtful Thursday

Fruity Friday

Remember this week is all about keeping your body and mind healthy. I’m sure you might come up with your own ‘healthy’ activities, like going on a bike ride, and we’d love to see your pictures of all the fun things you do this week.

Take care,

Mrs Ferguson

Friday 29th May

Good Morning Everyone and Happy Friday.  Mrs Ferguson and I have really enjoyed speaking to all the parents and the children this week.  It’s been lovely to hear how everyone is getting on at home.  We still have a few people to catch up with today so if you haven’t heard from us yet, please watch your phone later today for a withheld number, it will probably be us!

Yesterday was such a beautiful day and I hope you were all able to get outside and enjoy the sunshine.  Today is supposed to be just as nice so bearing that in mind, I’ve decided to give you one main task and then a list of activities that you could do outside in the garden.

The main task is a senses poem.  Spend a few minutes sitting in the garden. What can you see?  What can you smell?  What can you hear?  What can you feel?  What can you taste?  Your poem should look like this:

I can see…

I can smell…

I can hear…

I can feel…

I can taste…

Try to think of some interesting adjectives (describing words) to make your poem more exciting.  Instead of “I can see the grass” which is pretty boring, you could write “I can see the long, green blades of grass blowing in the wind”.

When you are finished your poem, here are a few ideas for some outdoor fun.

• Make a cosy reading den and spend some time reading your favourite books or listening to an audiobook.
  • Write a menu for a delicious picnic lunch, help to make it and then enjoy it in the garden or when you are out for a walk.
  • Raid the plastic recycling box and explore volume and capacity by skiddling about with water, e.g. how many yoghurt pots can you fill with the milk bottle. If this turns into a water fight to help cool everyone down, even better!!
  • Make a chalk obstacle course or create some chalk drawings to brighten up your garden.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun and please remember to stay safe in the sun by putting on sun cream, wearing a hat and drinking plenty of water!  Have a lovely weekend everyone!

Mrs Cook

Wednesday 27th May

Good Morning everyone. I hope you all had a lovely long weekend.  This week Mrs Ferguson and I are going to be calling everyone in the class so please watch out for us phoning. We are really looking forward to hearing how you are getting on and can’t wait to have a good wee blether.

For spelling this week we are going to do a wee revision on the days of the week so your words are:

1. Monday
  2. Tuesday
  3. Wednesday
  4. Thursday
  5. Friday
  6. Saturday
  7. Sunday

I would like you to choose an Active Spelling strategy to help you learn these words.  You could do Rainbow words, Pyramid words, Dot spelling or even writing the words in sand or flour.  If you google “Active Spelling Strategies” you will find lots of other ideas you could try.

For Maths today I’ve got a few problem solving activities for you.  Remember to read them through very carefully and have a good think about what you need to do to solve the problem.  Let me know how you get on.

Have a great day,

Mrs Cook

Friday 22nd May 2020

Good morning P3/4. Can you believe it’s Friday again already?  How are you all feeling?  I have to admit, my feelings have been all over the place this week.  One minute I’m happy and having the best day ever and then the next minute I suddenly feel sad and anxious. I’m really starting to miss my friends and family.  It’s OK to feel that way though and if you are feeling this way too, remember it’s important to talk to someone about it.  You could talk to your parents, or perhaps you could phone someone else in your family or one of your friends.  You might find that they feel the same way too.

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week and the theme is kindness.  I was having a wee think about something we could do based on this and then yesterday Adam received a letter through the post.  It was a beautiful picture and card drawn by his friend Rachel and she had included a wee friendship necklace that she had made for him too.  It was so kind of her to think of him this way and he was so unbelievably excited to get his own letter through the post! That one tiny act of kindness made him so happy for the rest of the day.  I thought you could do the same thing for one of your friends or members of your family.  Write them a letter or make them a wee card telling them how much you miss them and how much you are thinking about them.  If they live nearby, perhaps you could pop it through their letterbox if you are out a wee walk or if they are a bit further away you could find out their address and post it to them.  I’m sure it would make them so happy!

If you are looking for a wee maths activity this BBC bitesize lesson on arrays is the perfect piece of revision and I’m sure you would impress your parents as they probably haven’t seen arrays before.  They didn’t do that kind of maths when we were at school!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zrf8jhv

As always, contact either Mrs Ferguson or myself anytime if you need anything.  We love hearing from you and don’t forget to update your blog to let us know what you’ve been getting up to.  Have a wonderful weekend and stay safe!

Mrs Cook x

eaerin.cook@glow.sch.uk

eajill.ferguson@glow.sch.uk

Wednesday 20th May

Good morning! Hope you are all well!  I’m hoping the sun will shine today because I was sent some flowers that I would like to plant in the garden.  What are you doing today?  Mrs Cook and I will ‘be live’ at 11am this morning for an online chat.  Just log into your emails and hit the ‘reply to all’ to chat.

Today’s maths challenge is making 100.
Make 100

Remember in class we use Rekenreks to help so I’ve included a link to these that you can use online at Mathsbot.com to help you. Eg 63+ ___ = 100.  Slide the 63 to one side and the beads you have left at the other side is your answer!

https://mathsbot.com/manipulatives/rekenrek

Another activity that I tried yesterday is the Doodle Challenge. You put a piece of paper on the wall or window and another piece on your back. Get a partner to draw a simple picture on your back and you draw what you ‘feel’ on your piece of paper. Are your drawings similar? Have fun!

Remember your challenges on Sumdog this week for Spelling, Grammar and Maths. Keep emailing or updating your blog with your news or work. We love to hear from you!

Take care,
Mrs Ferguson

Monday 18th May
Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a lovely weekend. I had a really lazy weekend but enjoyed catching up on my favourite TV shows and doing a little more of my new jigsaw.

Spelling Words for this week:

Red: ss
1. mess
2. lesson
3. class
4. dress
5. less
6. moss
7. kiss
8. pass
9. press
10. miss

Green: t
1. future
2. mixture
3. nature
4. creature
5. capture
6. signature
7. adventure

Common Words: other, people, right, room, round

This week I’d like you to write these words in a sentence. Can you make them really interesting by adding some exciting adjectives? I’d love to read your sentences so you could email me your work when you are finished.

Number Talks
So now we have looked at Constant Difference and Adding Up when we are subtracting. Let’s look at Partitioning and Removal this week.
Here is a quick video to remind you of this strategy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLmHkpaFev4

Can you try to use Partitioning to complete these calculations:
1. 86 – 23 =
2. 95 – 62 =
3. 79 – 32 =
4. 85 – 28 =
5. 168 – 57 =
Remember you can also make your own calculations. Please remember to send me a picture or answers in an email. I’d love to see how you are getting on.

Grammar
This week I have set a Grammar challenge on Sumdog as well as Maths and Spelling. It’s all about punctuating sentences correctly. BBC Bitesize has a great lesson all about sentences. Its called Writing sentences using capital letters, full stops and joining words and can be found using the link to BBC bitesize, in Year 2, 28th April: English.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zntmxyc

Hope you enjoy these activities this week. Please let us know how you are getting on by emailing Mrs Cook and I. We’d love to hear from you.
Take care, Mrs Ferguson

Friday 15th May

Good morning P3/4. I hope you have all had a lovely week so far.  Today I thought we could try a bit of writing.  I would like you to plan the perfect post-lockdown day. A day where you can do all the things that we can’t do right now, all the things that you miss the most.

My perfect day would begin with a visit to my Mum and Dad’s house so that Adam and Katie could get a hug from their Gran and Grandpa (and I could get a big hug too).  After that we would go to Eglington Park in Irvine and go for a nice walk to see the castle ruins before having a good play in the park.  Then we would go for a yummy lunch at Gro where my sister works.  I would have a delicious cheese toastie and my sister would maybe even sneak us a free piece of cake. Did you know that cake tastes even better when it is free? After lunch we would take a lovely walk along to the shore and we would roll down the big hills at the beach park.  Have you ever tried that before? It is so much fun! Before heading home, we would need to take a quick trip to Vanilla Joes for some ice-cream.  After that we would head straight home to put the barbeque on for a lovely party with all our friends and family.  We would eat burgers and sausages, toast marshmallows, sing, dance, have a good blether and give everyone the biggest and squeeziest hugs ever!

What would your perfect day be?  If you write about it, I would love to read it.  You could take a picture of your writing and email it to me or put it on your blog so I can see it.  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I’ll speak to you again next week.

Take care and stay safe

Mrs Cook x

___________________________________________________________________________Wednesday 13th May

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope you have all had a lovely week and enjoyed the holiday on Friday.  It was my birthday last Thursday and I had a lovely day.  One of the best surprises was when my sister dropped off a surprise parcel containing an afternoon tea. There were sandwiches, rolls, scones, cakes, biscuits and even a lovely new mug with a teabag in it! I think it is one of the best presents I’ve ever received – it was so thoughtful!

As well as the work that has already been set on Sumdog (remember there are Maths and Spelling challenges), Active Learn and Reading Wise, today there is a fab Science lesson on BBC bitesize called Animal Groups.  It talks about the six groups that animals are sorted into:  Amphibians, Birds, Fish, Mammals, Minibeasts and Reptiles.  There are video clips for each group.  Perhaps you could choose an animal group and make a list of as many animals as you can for that group? Or maybe you could get someone in your family to name some animals and you could classify them into the different groups?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z4svgwx

Whatever you get up to, I would love to hear from you.  You can email me any time – eaerin.cook@glow.sch.uk

Have fun and I’ll speak to you all on Friday.

Mrs Cook

Monday 11th May

Good morning everyone.  Hope you all had a lovely weekend and VE day.  Did you manage to do anything special to celebrate?  We had a yummy afternoon tea in the garden.  We made scones and ate them with cream and jam – delicious!

Here are a few suggestions for activities this week:

Spelling Words:

Red: u_e

1. June
  2. ruler
  3. rude
  4. flute
  5. rule
  6. cube
  7. tube
  8. cute
  9. tune
  10. huge

Green: u

1. put
  2. pull
  3. push
  4. cushion
  5. full
  6. bush
  7. awful
  8. bull

Common Words:  Mr, Mrs, never, now, number

I have added these words to a new challenge on Sumdog so you have until Friday to complete this.

Maths:

Number Talks

Last week we looked at the subtraction strategy ‘Constant Difference’.  This week we will focus on the subtraction strategy ‘Adding Up’.  Here is a link to a video to remind you of this strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpCviQYCIBA

Can you complete these calculations using this strategy?

1.  73 – 58 =
  2.  82 – 25 =
  3.  64 – 39 =
  4. 68 – 59 =
  5. 169 – 87 =

You could also make up your own calculations to practise this strategy.

At school we were looking at fractions.  White Rose website has some great worksheets (and videos) that you can print or display on your computer/tablet.

Here are a few fraction worksheets that you could try:

*Find A Half

**Find a Quarter

***Tenths

(You can find the answers on the White Rose Website or email me)

I have also set a new maths challenge on Sumdog for this week.  And remember to keep practising on Active Learn and Reading Wise online as well.

Mrs Cook and I would love to hear from you so keep us up-to-date on all your news and work by emailing us.

Take care, Mrs Ferguson

Wednesday 6th May

Good morning everyone. Hope you are all enjoying this beautiful weather! Today I thought we focus on VE day which takes place on Friday this week and is a very special day.

Here is a little information about VE Day but if you want you could research it yourself on the internet and I’m sure Newsround will cover it on the day:

What does VE Day stand for?
VE Day, which stands for Victory in Europe Day, was the day on which allied forces announced the surrender of Germany in Europe on May 8th, 1945.

Why do we celebrate VE Day?

VE Day marked the end of World War 2 – and in turn, the end of Adolf Hitler’s reign. As such, it was a cause for celebration all over the world. At 3pm that day, Prime Minister Winston Churchill told the nation that the war was over. In London, a crowd of 50,000 celebrated the momentous event in Piccadilly Circus, cheering and waving flags in the street. This year is particularly poignant, given that it’s the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

Activities
As we are in lockdown, celebrations will look at little different than planned. But it doesn’t stop you having your own little celebration. Traditionally people would celebrate by having tea parties so you have a special lunch, maybe even a picnic? You could bake a cake or biscuits? Or you make your own bunting to decorate your house? Or I thought a fun activity would be making your own paper hat and decorate it?

Here is a link showing you how to make a paper hat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_tDKdXhv0g

Another activity you could do is looking at different flags. The Union Jack (Great British Flag) is used in lots of VE celebrations but what other flags do you know? Maybe you could some online research to find different flags and look at their patterns? Then you could use your favourite parts to design your own flag. I’d love to see your new designs!

Online Chat
Finally, remember Mrs Cook and I are going to be online for our email chat at 11am this morning. So we’d love to see you there to hear all your news!

Take care, Mrs Ferguson

Monday 4th May

Good morning everyone.  I hope you all had a lovely weekend.  I had quite a busy weekend as it was my birthday yesterday!  As we couldn’t do what we normally would do on a birthday, we decided to go camping in our back garden! It was great fun and thankfully the sun was shining.  It was a fun way to spend a birthday! Oh and we didn’t realise how big the tent was until we were trying to put it up in our garden!

As its Monday, that means new spelling words for you.  I will set up the challenge in Sumdog again using these words.  I have noticed that a lot of you are doing this activity on Sumdog – well done!

This weeks words are:

Red:  a_e (another magic e sound)

1. cake
  2. came
  3. spade
  4. brake
  5. name
  6. sale
  7. cape
  8. wave
  9. wake
  10. late

Green:  oe

1. toe
  2. hoe
  3. goes
  4. heroes
  5. doe
  6. potatoes
  7. tomatoes
  8. foe

Common Words:  men, miss, more, mother

Number Talks:  I thought we could practise some of the Number Talk strategies that we were using at school.  This week let’s look at Constant Difference.  This strategy is used when we are subtracting (taking away).  Remember that we change the number to make it ‘friendly’ and this should make the calculation easier.  BUT remember, we have to do the same thing to both sides.  As its been a little while since we looked at this, I found a good video that explains the strategy.

Here is the link: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+number+talks+constant+difference&&view=detail&mid=00CFD840A24A6FD1060B00CFD840A24A6FD1060B&rvsmid=919CF5260B6E4DB22985919CF5260B6E4DB22985&FORM=VDMCNR

Here a few calculations to try using constant difference:

1. 87 – 39 =
  2.  93 – 28 =
  3.  47 – 26 =
  4.  82 – 49 =
  5.  167 – 38 = *Challenge*

You could email me your answers or post them on your BLOG.

Remember that on Wednesday at 11am Mrs Cook and I are back online for an ’email’ chat to catch up on all of your news.  We’d love to hear from you!

Take care, Mrs Ferguson

Friday 1st May

Good morning everyone.  Can you believe it is Friday already?  Not only that but today is the start of a new month.  The first of May is also known as May Day.  My Gran used to tell me that if you washed your face in the early morning dew on the grass on May Day, you would have beautiful skin all year.  Can you imagine doing that?

Mrs Ferguson and I were joined by Ashton and Carter on our email chat on Wednesday and it was so nice to talk to them and hear how they’ve been getting on. We’ll try it again next Wednesday and hopefully some more of you can join us.  Remember you can email us anytime to chat or to tell us what you’ve been getting up to.

I thought it would be fun to do a little Art lesson today and I found this one on YouTube that shows you how to draw Baby Yoda from the Mandalorian… it’s super cute!  If you try it, I’d love to see a photo.  You could post it on your blog.

The Art for Kids Hub has lots of great tutorials so if you don’t fancy drawing Yoda you could always search through their channel and find something else to suit you.

On BBC Bitesize today there is another Maths Challenge of the Week if you fancy giving it a go

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zh23gwx

If you are looking for more to do you can access all the daily lessons here and pick any from the week.  Just click on either Year 2/P3 r Year 3/P4 and you’ll see lots of lessons including History, Geography, Music, RME and Science.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/dailylessons

I hope you all have a lovely weekend and look forward to hearing from you soon.  Take Care and stay safe!

Mrs Cook

Wednesday 29th April

Good morning everyone! I hope your week is going well. I was so disappointed at first to see that the weather had changed but it’s made us think of all the fun things we can do inside instead.  Mr Cook found all his old Lego from when he was a wee boy and he’s been building it all with Adam.  The two of them have been having  a great time.  We also took inspiration from Mrs Govans’ head teacher challenge and played a new board game together. We played Pictureka and it was great fun.

Mrs Ferguson was practising the spelling words with Grace yesterday and they came up with a great way to learn the words.  They made little  flashcards and wrote each word out twice and then used them to play pairs.  What a great idea! You could also play snap with them too.  Why not give it a try?

Today Mrs Ferguson and I were going to try doing a live email chat today if you fancy joining in.  Just log in to your emails at 11am and we will send out a group email that you can join.  All you need to do is click “reply to all” and we can all start chatting.

There is a super lesson on BBC bitesize today all about writing sentences using capital letters, full stops and joining words.

As always, we would love to hear from you and find out what you have been doing.  My email is eaerin.cook@glow.sch.uk

Mrs Cook

Monday 27th April

Good morning everyone! Here we are at the beginning of a new week.  I hope you all had a lovely weekend enjoying the sunshine!

This week I thought we could focus on the important skill of ‘telling the time’. Think about how many times in a normal day we need to know the time.  When does school start?  When is it lunchtime?  When is it home time?  When time does my club start?  What time is the bus? First I want you to look around your house and spot all the different clocks.  Do they all look the same?  Talk about this with a grown up.  I have set up a time challenge on Sumdog to help with this and there are some good games on TopMarks too.  Why don’t you try this one…

https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/116/telling-the-time

Monday also means a new spelling sound.  So here are this weeks sounds/words:

Red:  o_e

1. home
  2. rope
  3. stole
  4. awoke
  5. hope
  6. smoke
  7. rose
  8. code
  9. bone
  10. globe

Green: ie (sounds like ee)

1. field
  2. shield
  3. chief
  4. thief
  5. believe
  6. belief
  7. shriek

Common Words:  line, long, many

I have set up a challenge on Sumdog with these words too.

Remember to keep checking Sumdog, Active Learn and Reading Wise for more online games.  And let Mrs Cook and I know how you are doing by sending us an email (remember you can email the whole class to say hi!)  or updating your Blog.  We love to hear from you!

Take care,

Mrs Ferguson

Friday 24th April

Good morning everyone,

I hope you have all had a great week so far. Mrs Ferguson and I have been checking Sumdog, Active Learn and Reading wise and can see that some of you have been very busy indeed – well done! If you have been doing other work, like the BBC bitesize, we’d love to hear about it. Maybe you could send us an email or write about it on your blog. Mrs McLean has put up a great slideshow on the main page that explains how to post on your blog if you are unsure. The weather has been amazing this week so I hope you have been able to make the most of it and enjoy some time in the garden or go on a safe, social distancing walk or bike ride. Again, we’d love to hear about that too. You can email or post on your blog about anything at all. It doesn’t need to be about school work!

If you are looking for something a wee bit different to do today, I found a maths challenge on BBC bitesize that looks fun. I think you could definitely do challenge 1 and 2 and if you are really confident you could give 3 and 4 a try too!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/

Adam and I have really enjoyed doing some Go Noodle videos in the living room when we need to wake ourselves up a bit.  Here is one of his favourites.

I hope you have a great day and enjoy your weekend. Remember we would love to hear from you. My email is eaerin.cook@glow.sch.uk if you need any help with anything or just fancy a wee blether.

Take Care,

Mrs Cook

Wednesday 22nd April

Good morning to you all and I hope you are all well on this lovely sunny Wednesday morning!  What have you all been doing this week?  Have you been out enjoying this lovely weather?

Today I thought I’d share a little project that we have been doing at home that I thought you could try.  My girls are really missing their friends and family, as I imagine you all are too, so we decided to post them a ‘Hibernation’ package to cheer them up!  They decided to make everyone bookmarks, pictures and letters (and even included a Hibernation Guide – ideas of what to do when you are bored in the house’) Then we posted all the packages to our family.  Why don’t you post a letter to someone to cheer them up?  Maybe a drawing?  Photo?  Letter?  I’m sure it’ll brighten up their day!

Remember Mrs Cook and I would love to hear from you all!

Mrs Ferguson

Monday 20th April

Good morning and welcome back after our Easter holidays! What lovely weather we’ve been having.  I hope you have managed to enjoy some of the sunshine safely.

This week we would love to see you logging on to our online resources; Active Learn, Sumdog and Reading Wise.  I have set up some new challenges on Sumdog, including your new spelling words and a maths challenge.  Remember we can check how you are getting on and it’s great to see you taking part in these challenges!

We are also going to check out the new BBC Bitesize website this week.  They are offering great online lessons everyday.  You can choose Year 2/Primary 3 or Year3/Primary 4.  Today they have lessons on ‘The Faraway Tree’ story, finding nouns, 3 digit numbers and ‘How can I be a Historian’.  They use BBC Bitesize videos in the lessons which is a favourite of ours in class! Have fun and let me know what you think of them.

Here is the BBC website for Daily Lessons:

This weeks spelling sounds:

Red:  i_e

1. side
  2. white
  3. smile
  4. hide
  5. shine
  6. bike
  7. nine
  8. time
  9. kite
  10. slide

Green:  ey

1. they
  2. obey
  3. valley
  4. monkey
  5. trolley
  6. money
  7. honey
  8. turkey
  9. chimney

Common Words:  know, last, life

Remember you can learn these words any way you like.  Rainbow spelling?  Spell-er-cise?  In this nice weather, why don’t you create a way to spell these words outside?  Share your ideas with me on your GLOW blog or email me.

I’d love to hear from you all,

Mrs Ferguson

Tuesday 14th April

Hello everyone! It’s Mrs Cook here. Mrs Ferguson and I hope you all had a lovely Easter and have enjoyed spending time with your families and eating lots of chocolate. Both Mrs Ferguson and I had very exciting weekends as we had birthdays to celebrate too. Mrs F’s daughter Emma turned 13 on Friday and as well as having a delicious take away from the Fairburn, they also managed to have a Zoom BBQ with all the rest of her family cooking burgers in their own gardens! What a lovely way to celebrate. Here is a picture of their “eggcellent”  Easter themed window display.

In my house it was Katie’s first birthday on Easter Sunday and we had a lovely wee party for her in Mr Cook’s new log cabin in the garden (That’s where I’m going to send him when he doesn’t behave! 😂😂). She had great fun eating crisps and rolls and she loved her birthday cake. Adam had to help her blow out the candles!

We hope you all enjoy the rest of your holiday and we’ll be back in touch next week to start Term 4.

Take care and stay safe,

Mrs Cook and Mrs Ferguson

An East Ayrshire Council site