Primary 7 – Mrs L. McKenna

Monday 6th April

Good morning everyone.

I hope you are all well and making the most of the nice weather. It is now the Easter holidays so I won’t be setting any tasks for you over the next two weeks, but I will still be keeping in touch.

This week I should have been heading to Aviemore on holiday with my family, so I am feeling a bit disappointed that we are no longer able to go as we were really looking forward to it. The most important thing at this time is that we are all safe and healthy, so we are planning on staying at home and doing lots of fun things to keep us busy!

I have been enjoying baking and trying different recipes while I have been at home, and decided to try making some homemade cookies with Emilie this weekend. They tasted absolutely declicious! Dylan made Fake Ferrero Rocher last week, so I fancy trying to make those next and would love your recipe.

We have dusted down our Wii which hasn’t been used for a very long time, and have had great fun playing the different games and keeping fit at the same time. Yesterday we also went for a family walk to get some fresh air and spotted lots of rainbows pictures which made us smile. I know that some of you have made rainbows to put in your windows and they really do cheer people up when they pass by.

This week I am going to do some Easter crafts with Emilie and will continue with my skipping challenge. Yesterday I managed to do 200 skips!

Stay safe, keep smiling and have a great week.

Mrs McKenna

Friday 3rd April

Happy Friday P7, we have made it to the end of another week!

It has been lovely to hear from some of you this week, if you haven’t already done so send me an e-mail to let me know what you have been getting up to. You can also post on your Glow blog too. Well done to Sophie, Dylan and Emily who have been posting on their Glow blogs. I have enjoyed your posts and seeing your pictures.

Today you might like to do the following:

• Ask someone at home to test you on your weekly spelling words.
  • I am on day 3 of my skipping challenge and it’s going well so far. Today I need to skip for 2 minutes, and by the end of the month I am hoping to be able to skip 1000 times in one workout! Have you set yourself any challenges for the month?
  • If you are looking for fun ways to stay active then have a go at the ‘What’s your name?’ workout. All you need to do is spell out your full name and complete the exercise listed for each letter. Name Workout - What's Your Name? Workout for Beginners - 730 Sage ...
  • Remember you have until 3 pm today to take part in the maths, reading and spelling challenges I have set you on Sumdog. There are coins up for grabs for reaching your target!
  • If any of you watched the lesson from a WW2 bunker last week , then you can now watch the next lesson which is all about rationing and wartime food.                      www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/visiting/isolation-lessons/

Bon week-end!

Mrs McKenna

Wednesday 1st April

Good morning, I hope you are all well!

I haven’t heard from some of you for a while, so today I would like you all to send me an e-mail to tell me what you have been getting up to over the last couple of weeks. I am going to send you an e-mail to tell you what I’ve been doing, and you can either reply to that or send me a direct e-mail. I can’t wait to hear from you all as I am missing your faces and our chats!

Some other activities you could try today are:

• Stay active!
  • Practise your weekly spelling words.
  • Login to Sumdog and take part in the challenges I have set for you this week. You can also play games and activities on Active Learn and ReadingWise.
  • Watch Newsround to keep up to date with the daily news.
  • It’s the start of a new month, why don’t you try a challenge for the month of April? I’ve looked out my skipping ropes and am going to try a 30 day skipping challenge this month. Wish me luck!

Have a lovely day, looking forward to hearing from you.

Mrs McKenna

Monday 30th March

Good morning everyone, I hope you all had a great weekend!

The focus for spelling words this week is common and tricky words. The words for each group are:

Blue Group

advertise, conscience, evaluation, meanwhile, remember, again, conscious, evidence, metaphor, research, aisle, consequence, exaggerated, miscellaneous, resources

Green Group

happy, word, lady, paper, window, floor, shoe, being, coming, jumped, started, used, walked, woke, only

Here are some other activities you might also like to try:

• There have been new challenges added to Sumdog for maths, reading and spelling this week. Each challenge will be running until 3pm on Friday, login and have a go!
  • I have allocated some more games to each of your accounts on Active Learn. The focus this week is to practise times tables and multiplication skills.
  • Remember to stay active. It’s a lovely sunny day so try to spend some time outside and get some fresh air, as long as you stay safe and follow the guidelines.
  • If you haven’t already done so, have a look at www.pobble365.com. Each day there is a different picture with questions, a story starter, sentence challenge and drawing task.

Please keep in touch via e-mail and to post what you are getting up to on your Glow blog. Well done to those of you who have already been doing this.

Have a great day!

Mrs McKenna

Friday 27th March

Good morning P7,

It has been lovely to hear from some of you and to see what you have been getting up to this week, remember to keep in touch with me via e-mail and by posting on your Glow blog.

Today you could do the following:

• It’s really important to continue to keep active, make sure you are making time for this every day.
  • Play the Countdown game with numbers or letters, some of you were really enjoying this in class. Get your family to join in too! www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/maths/countdown/index.htm
  • If you love animals then check out the Edinburgh Zoo website where you can watch some of the animals on their live webcams. www.edinburghzoo.org.uk
  • For something a bit different you can watch a lesson from a secret WW2 bunker in Liverpool (approx. 40 mins). The lesson looks at lockdowns during the war, a tour of a secret bunker, lessons on the people who worked in the bunker and the work that happened at Western Approaches during the war.www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/visiting/isolation-lessons/

Stay safe and have a great weekend!

Mrs McKenna

Rainbow Challenge

I have been busy at home with my wee girl making a rainbow for our window. Please share pictures of your rainbows on your Glow blog.

Mrs McKenna

Wednesday 25th March

Good morning,

I hope you are all well and getting used to learning at home!

Today you might like to do some of the following:

• Make sure you are keeping active every day –  Joe Wicks P.E. lessons, Cosmic Yoga, Just Dance, Go Noodle, going for a walk etc.
  • Remember to log in to Sumdog, Active Learn and ReadingWise to play the games or take part in the challenges that have been set for you. I am keeping track of you all to see how you are doing.
  • Practise your weekly spelling words and write a daily diary entry about what you are getting up to.
  • If you are looking for a project to work on you could try using junk materials to build a model Anderson Shelter like the one below. You could post pictures of your finished model on your Glow blog!   Image result for model anderson shelter

Have a lovely day,

Mrs McKenna

Tuesday 24th March

Good morning Primary 7,

Well done to those of you who have been logging on and playing games on your Sumdog, Active Learn and ReadingWise accounts.

Here are some other activities that you might like to try today:

• Keep active with live P.E. lessons from Joe Wicks every day (link in the post below) or try some Cosmic Yoga.
  • You could start to write a daily diary, just like Anne Frank did during World War 2. You could write about all the things you are getting up to and post them on your Glow blog.
  • Mrs Govans is going to be setting a Headteacher’s Challenge every Tuesday and Thursday. Keep an eye out for updates on Glow. The challenge today is to draw, paint or make a collage rainbow picture to put up in you front window to cheer people up.
  • David Walliams is doing a free audio story at 11am every day. Follow the link below: www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/
  • For some fun extra maths practice check out www.themathsfactor.com Remember that you can keep in touch via e-mail or update your Glow blog with all the things you are getting up to!

Have a great day.

Mrs McKenna

Week beginning Monday 23rd March

Good morning everyone,

I hope you are all well. I’m going to be using GLOW and e-mail to share some ideas and activities with you, so please keep checking for updates.

Spelling

The focus for spelling this week is different spellings for the ‘sh’ sound. The words for this week are:

Blue Group

English, sunshine, vanish, fashion, champagne, machine, parachute, brochure, ration, function, direction, information, special, musician, delicious

Green Group

sheep, shelf, wash, brush, chef, chute, chic, machine, action, ration, section, emotion, social, facial, special

Active Learn

I have added some addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and time games for you to play.

Sumdog

I have set up some challenges and assessments for you on Sumdog.

Stay Active

If you fancy keeping fit and active you could join Joe Wicks for live P.E. lessons every day. Follow the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1

Newsround

Remember that you can watch Newsround every day to keep you up to date with the daily news.

Keep in touch!

Mrs McKenna

Primary 7,

We have had a great year so far and have made lots of lovely memories. I hope that the school closures won’t last too long and that we will still have many things to look forward to. In the meantime I have given you a list of some websites you might want to use at home. Please use this time to try to learn as much as you can. You can play games, read books, write stories, draw, watch films, cook/bake or even learn a new skill. Be creative and most importantly, have fun! Remember you can e-mail me with any questions and to let me know how you are getting on. My e-mail address is laura.mckenna@eastayrshire.org.uk.

I hope to see you all again soon. Stay in touch, keep smiling and take care.

Mrs McKenna

Websites for P7