Primary 2 – Miss J. McLean

Good Morning Primary 2 and Hello April!

I cannot believe it is April already! Usually in class we look at the calendar and talk about what our new ‘dotty date’ will look like.  Could you try and write the long date? What does the ‘Dotty date’ look like now that it is April?

I have been so impressed with all the great money, multiplication, tens and units and SumDog tasks you have been doing at home. The 100 square Snakes and Ladders games that you sent were AMAZING!  I can’t wait until we can play them in class. Today I have set a Core and Challenge division calculation. Could you solve this calculation by sharing? You could use anything you have at home to do this such as cubes, pegs or really anything you can find!

Core:              12 ÷ 2 =           8 ÷ 2 =

Challenge:      16 ÷ 4 =         20 ÷ 4 =

Well done to everyone using their spelling grids and practising reading and writing their common words. Today I thought you might like to have a look at the ‘ue’ sound we were learning about in class before the school closure. Can you remember what sound the letters ‘ue’ make when you put them together? Have a look at the video below.          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCeE3B_tAq8

Can you think of any words with the ue sound? Can anyone remember the other ways we can make this sound?

Why not try and teach someone at home how to do ‘Diacritical Marking’ on the words below? (Don’t worry adults! It is not as scary as it sounds! P2 will keep you right! If not then just give me a wee email).

blue glue true rescue tissue

look boots cook tools wood foot

Yesterday, Hannah uploaded this blog post

“Today me and mum made our own water wall out of all the recycling stuff. The recycling men aren’t coming to collect the rubbish so I came up with the idea of using it to make something.

I have added her pictures below in case anyone wants to try out this brilliant idea!

Have a great day!

Good Morning Primary 2! 30.03.2020

I hope everyone has had a brilliant weekend. I decided to have a movie day on Sunday and watched two of my favourite Disney films! Then I spent some time out in the sunshine with Skye!

Numeracy:

Well done to everyone that has been playing SumDog. I will be adding new games to ActiveLearn today so that we have lots to play.

I wondered if anyone would like to try and make your own game of snakes and ladders! To make your own snakes and ladders game you will have to add the numbers to a blank 100 square (We use 100 squares in class a lot but I have added a 100 square below in case you need a wee reminder where the numbers go).  Then all you need to do is draw some snakes and ladders! After that, you can design and decorate your game any way you like and enjoy playing it with your family.

Literacy:

Collins Big Cat books are offering free e-books for primary aged children. These books are able to be accessed by following this link https://connect.collins.co.uk/school/teacherlogin.aspx

Username: parents@harpercollins.co.uk

Password: Parents20!

The children are used to choosing their own home reading books and most will know if they are reading pink, red or yellow book. This is just a rough guide as the book bands are slightly different to those we use in school. Feel free to have a look at any book you fancy!

Challenges:

Well done to everyone taking part in our Lego and Daily Walk challenges. I have posted the next challenges below. Remember, you don’t need Lego to take part, just use whatever you have at home!

I also found a really cool shadow art project that I thought some of you might like to try out so I have added a picture below.

As always, all of the activities are just ideas. Have a great day whatever you get up to!

27.03.2020

Good morning Primary 2!

I know lots of you have been enjoying getting outside for some fresh air.  I have been enjoying taking Skye the dog for a walk (staying safe and keeping my distance from people I don’t live with).

I have decided to take up the ‘Daily Walk Challenge’ and have posted Day 1 for you below. Maybe this is something you could do with your family too.

Yesterday, Ellie in our class sent me a picture of a wonderful acrostic poem she had made using the letters NHS. Maybe today you could have a think about someone you are thankful for. Could it be the Doctors and Nurses and other NHS staff looking after people in the hospital? The Police Officers who keep us safe? A Firefighter? Maybe you are thankful for a kind friend or maybe you want to say thank you to someone in your family?

Today you could make a card, write a letter or draw a picture for the person you are thanking.

Remember to use capital letters, full stops and finger spaces in your writing. Could you use a connective? (and, but or because)

I have added some new money games on SumDog and ActiveLearn for you, too.

I hope you have a lovely day whatever you get up to!

Miss McLean

Good Morning! 25.03.2020

Thank you so much to everyone who has shared their learning with me. It has really made me smile. Remember to check the comments on your posts, this is where I will be able to reply.

Some of you have already taken up the Headteacher’s Challenge. I have added a link below to a ‘How to draw a Rainbow’ drawing tutorial for those of you who enjoy doing them in class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ibSQkazD0

Numeracy Challenge:

Keep up the good work using SumDog but remember there are lots of things you can do around the house.

Today you could ask an adult if they have any coins or notes that you could try and identify. Can you order the coins from smallest value to largest?  You could even set up your own shop!  Challenge yourself by totalling the coins or by giving someone the correct change when they buy something from your shop.

Literacy:      

David Williams is now doing free audio stories. Click on the link below to hear yesterday’s story ‘Spoiled Brad’. Could you create a character profile for Brad? Or draw an illustration?

What do you think Spoiled Brad might look like? Are there any clues in the story?

https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/

Yesterday I seen some brilliant Rollercoasters. I wonder if you could complete today’s Lego Challenge. If you don’t have any Lego or blocks then use your imagination. Could you recycle an old cereal box, the inside of a kitchen roll, sticks from the garden or anything else you have around the house?

Miss McLean

24.3.2020

Good morning Primary 2!

It has been great to see lots of you have been playing games on your SumDog and ReadingWise accounts!

I have allocated a SumDog 2x Table challenge that you might like to try out!

Your SumDog accounts will also be updated with your own spelling words from your grid but remember you could choose to do another spelling activity such as rainbow spelling, diacritical marking, pyramid spelling or even be a text detective and see if you can spot your words in a book!

(all children should have a copy of their own spelling grid, however, some were left in homework bags in the class before the school closure. If you do not have yours I can email you a copy!)

Remember that we are learning all the time and it is important that you spend time with your family, playing and doing your favourite things.

You could even try out Mrs Govans’ Head Teacher Challenge? Or try and complete one of the Lego Challenges below?

Whatever you get up to, remember you can keep me updated on by posting on your Glow Blog or by emailing me. I would love to hear from you.

Take Care,

Miss McLean

Primary 2,

I just wanted to send a note to you all with some websites that you might like to use at home. We have had such a lovely year so far and I am very proud of all the progress you are making. You really are an amazing bunch! I hope that the school closures won’t last too long and I can’t wait until we are back in school making and creating! I read a wee poem that had some great ideas in it. I thought you might like to read it too.

Remember that you can keep me updated via GlOW email and even upload pictures on GLOW. I would love to hear from you! 

My email address is Jacqueline.mclean@eastayrshire.org.uk

Take care and I will see you all soon.

Miss McLean

Maybe it’s time while cooped inside

To explore imaginations

To draw + read + make + bead

And bring to life creations!

Maybe it’s time to learn guitar

Or time to plant some seeds.

Or to dream up that invention

That solves our greatest needs.

Could it be time to learn to cook

Or send your friend a letter?

Or think of all the ways

That you make this world better.

So paint a painting, sing a song

Make your debut movie

Read a book or carve a nook

Or dance a dance that’s groovy!

@ecowithem

click the link below to access websites 

Websites for Primary 2

Term 1 – planner

Term 2 – planner

Term 3 – planner