Primary 1 – Miss C. Burleigh

1.4.2020

Good Morning Primary 1

I can’t believe it is Wednesday 1st April already. I know that some of you will know what day it is today….. it’s April Fools Day! I hope you have thought of some funny tricks to play on your family. 🙊😂🤣

Today if you are out in your garden or out for a daily walk, you could try to collect some little stones or pebbles. You could count your stones and then add a number to each one. You could put all of the numbers in order from 0 to 20 or however many you have. You could also play a fun addition game using some of the single digit pebbles. For example: If we have 6 and now add 3 more, how many will we have altogether?

You could practise your writing by creating a lunch or dinner menu, remembering to add some pictures. Then you could help prepare the food with a grown up. Or if you’d prefer you could create a café menu – you could write/ draw up a menu, complete with pictures and prices.

Today’s activity idea is junk modelling.

📦🧻🎨✂️🖍

You can use cardboard tubes, lengths of material, cardboard boxes, plastic bottles, egg cartons and anything else you can think of!

You could use your imagination & resources to create an obstacle course, kite, dinosaur, dragon, robot or anything else that you can think of.

I hope you have a fun day.

Miss Burleigh

30.3.2020

Happy Monday Primary 1,

I hope you had a lovely weekend with your family. I enjoyed spending lots of time out in my garden this weekend, since it was nice and sunny. 🌷☀

Remember that Joe Wicks is on every morning at 9am, if you fancy joining in for some fun exercise.

Today you could practise your number stories through partitioning. This means that we are splitting a number up to make the different calculations for that number, e.g. for number 5 we could have 5+0= 5, 4+1=5, 3+2=5 and so on. To do this, you will need 5 things, maybe blocks, pencils, buttons, figures, toys, sticks, stones, whatever you have and 2 bowls, plates or tubs. For the number 5 there should be 6 addition calculations that all make 5. Can you work them out by splitting the 5 things across the two objects?

Remember it might be the same numbers but in different places. You could also write your calculations down.

Maybe you could find how many are in the number stories of 1, 2, 3 and 4?        

I would love to see some more of your name challenges from Friday, remember you can upload them on to your blog.

To practise your letter formation, you could have a look at https://www.doorwayonline.org.uk/activities/letterformation/ and click on lower case letters. You can also use anything around the house or garden to make your letters or words, maybe  playdough, buttons, shaving foam, pasta, twigs etc. whatever you have handy!

Today you could practise your reading with someone at home. Collins are providing free access to their Big Cat reading books which are similar to the reading books we have in school. To access these click the link below and enter the following details –

https://connect.collins.co.uk/school/teacherlogin.aspx

Username – parents@harpercollins.co.uk

Password – Parents20!

I hope you all have a lovely day.

Miss Burleigh

27.3.2020

Good Morning Primary 1,

Thank you so much to everyone who has shared their learning with me so far. Remember to check the comments on your posts, this is where I am able to reply.

Yesterday, Harry in our class told me that he had been making cakes with his family. This inspired me to make some caramel shortbread.

Today I was wondering if you could write your name and then find different things in your house that start with that sound.

Here is mine – 

I managed to find:

M- macaroni

i – ice cube

s – soap

s – sock

B – banana

u – umbrella

r – rice

l – lemonade

e – egg

i – iPad

g – glove

h – hat

I can’t wait to see yours! Maybe you could upload them on to your glow blog. 

It’s important that you try to get outside for some fresh air if you can. The East Ayrshire Learning Outdoors Support Team have been busy creating lots of new videos. Here you will find some fantastic ideas for outdoor learning, using things that you may have about the house. 

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1pFUpM3RVWizxF6xO6lFWg

Today you could build a boat for one of your toys or figures to fit in. Think about what materials would be best – Cardboard, plastic, sticks etc.  You could even recycle some of the things you have around the house or garden?

Have fun

Miss Burleigh

25.3.2020

I have loved hearing from some of you & seeing your lovely posts. 😃

I’m glad you are enjoying the Sumdog challenges, keep up the good work. Today you could practise counting in 1s up to 30 & back from 20. You could also practise counting up in 2s. If you have any playing cards then you could use these to practise your counting, or you could choose 2 and add them together to find the total.

Scan the QR code below to listen to the story.

You could draw a picture of your favourite part of the story, or your favourite character.

Play I spy with my little eye something beginning with….. (Remember to use the letter sound, not the letter name)

I uploaded your common word grids on to Glow so you can practise your words too. You could write them in flour, rainbow write them in different colours, or even be a text detective and see if you can spot your words in a book!

Try to keep as active as you can – remember that you access Cosmic Yoga here. https://m.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga

Miss Burleigh

24.3.2020

Good Morning everyone,

I hope you are beginning to settle in to a new routine at home.

Mrs Govan’s has posted a Head Teacher’s Challenge this morning, that you could try out! 🌈

I loved seeing what some of you had been up to with your blog posts yesterday.😃

I see that some of you have managed to get on to Sumdog & Readwise Wise to practise your numeracy & literacy, which is great!

There are some other things that you can do at home, such as, practising writing your words from your grids, forming your letters, writing your own stories, drawing your own pictures & reading a story together.

I am going to add your spelling words from your grid in to Sumdog too. I know that some of your grids were left in the class so I will also upload a copy on to your individual glow page.

In numeracy, you can write down your numbers & put them in the correct order, enjoy a number hunt about your house, write your own addition & subtraction calculations, make symmetrical pictures in the garden using twigs & leaves or build towers and put them in size order.

Remember that we are learning all the time and it is important that you spend time with your family, playing and doing your favourite things.

You can keep me updated on what you have been up to by posting on your Glow Blog (See Miss McLean’s guide that was posted on the main page yesterday) or by emailing me. I would love to hear from you.

Cheryl.burleigh@eastayrshire.org.uk

Take Care,

Miss Burleigh

Primary 1

We just wanted to send a note to you all with some websites that you might like to use at home and some stories that you might like to listen to. We have had a fantastic year so far & we have loved watching you learn so much, whilst having lots of fun. We’re sure that while we are closed you’ll be sharing all of your great ideas with everyone at home. Whether it be writing your own stories, creating your own models, baking a cake or playing outside. We can’t wait until we are back in school & we can hear what you have all been up to.

In the meantime, remember that you can keep us updated on GLOW & even upload some photos on to your e-portfolio.

Take care and we will see you all soon.

Miss Burleigh & Michelle

Cheryl.burleigh@eastayrshire.org.uk

Websites for Primary 1

Term 1 – planner

Term 2 – planner

Term 3 – planner