New Glow Site

As Catrine Primary School is so blogtastic we were running out of space on our Glow usage site so we’ve had to create a new site so we could continue sharing the news, achievements and online learning at Catrine Primary School. You will appreciate that these changes will take time especially in the current circumstances – so please be patient.

Pupils should continue to access their individual GLOW blogs to upload their learning and communicate with their teachers in their usual way.

Please click on the link below to access our new blog:

https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsmain2019/

Headteacher’s Challenge #5

Good morning to you all 🙂

I hope you’ve been managing to (safely) enjoy time outside in the lovely Spring sunshine.  To make the most of the glorious weather, today’s challenge is …

Build a den outside in your garden, or in your house, with your family

You can use anything – sheets, duvets, binbags, sleeping bags,  brush handles, clothes pegs, string, cardboard, chairs, boxes, trampolines ….

Think of the great times that we had building dens on the grass in our school playground during our Outdoor Learning Days with our houses.  Remember how we changed and adapted our den designs as we came across problems (Ayrbank – our dens kept getting blown away as we were trying to build them on the windiest day possible!)

If you prefer, build your den inside your house somewhere – your bedroom, under the kitchen table or take over the whole living room (remember to ask for permission first …)  My boys used to build dens with their papa under the kitchen table when they were wee, and they used to eat their dinner there and sometimes even slept there too, all wrapped up in sleeping bags and pillows!

So, have fun, and I’d love to see some photos of you and your family in your dens on your blogs – I’ll be checking them regularly over the holidays.

As always, take care, stay safe and keep in touch.

Mrs Govans x    

(Lauren and her bug hotel)

Signing off for Easter Holidays

It’s officially the Easter holidays now and, although we won’t be gallivanting anywhere apart from the back garden it’s still a time to switch off from school work and enjoy quality time with our families in the (hopefully!) lovely Spring sunshine.

Staff won’t be posting activities over the next two weeks but I will still be posting my Headteacher’s Challenges on Tuesday and Thursday so remember to check in …

I’d like to thank every member of staff at both Catrine ECC and PS for their commitment, professionalism and positivity during the last three weeks.  Every member of staff is working behind the scenes to keep our ECC and school functioning and to ensure our young people are accessing appropriate, enjoyable and fun learning activities.

Thank you also to the parents, carers, families and friends of both Catrine ECC and PS #homeschoolarmy – what a wonderfully creative lot you are!  Some brilliant ideas coming through GLOW and emails about the home learning activities you’re enjoying with your family – well done to all.

And last, but by no means least, the children of Catrine 🙂

Let’s applaud them – ‘these wee heroes have stayed indoors more than they’ve ever known in their lives.  Their whole wee worlds have been turned upside down, full of rules they’ve never known. Every day they get up and carry on, despite all that’s going on around them, and they’re delighted to paint pretty rainbows and pictures to thank the ‘heroes’ out in the world working hard to keep us all safe.

So let’s acknowledge our wee heroes – our children, our groups, our pupils, our future – today, tomorrow and forever.  We are so proud of you all.’

Words copied from Twitter but I mean every single one of them.

Mrs Govans x  

This will make you smile………

Click the link and see Catrine PS staff like you’ve never seen them before. And all just to make you smile!

Stayed tuned until the end as we need your help with music video number 2.

Missing you  all.

Team Catrine

https://sway.office.com/qA0pIIliE20FXl2L?ref=Link

Headteacher’s Challenge #4

Good morning to Thursday 🙂

It’s hard to believe we’re nearly at the end of the second week of this new style of learning, and your teachers and I continue to be so impressed by how well most of you are engaging with your online learning.

I really enjoying reading through your Glow Blogs and emails, and love seeing the photos of your daily activities – keep them coming!

I know some people are still having issues with accessing our online learning, and I’ll be phoning to see if we can help with login details or passwords so that you can get up and running.

Today would have been the last day of Term 3, and yesterday would have been our Easter Service in school and that means – we need to sing the Spring Chicken Song!

So today’s challenge – you need to teach the words – and actions – of the Spring Chicken Song to your family.  Remember to sing it as loudly as we do at assembly!  I’ve attached a wee video to help you along.

As always, stay safe, take care and keep in touch.

Mrs Govans x

Headteacher’s Challenge #3

Happy Tuesday!

I’m working at the Auchinleck Hub today and I’m enjoying looking at all their lovely displays and pupil work (and stealing a few ideas for when we’re all back at Catrine PS!)

Today’s challenge is another practical one, but a REALLY important one …

Learn to tie your shoelaces!

If you can already tie your shoelaces – relax, sit back and have a lazy day – you’ve completed my challenge already 🙂

If you can’t tie your shoelaces yet then this is a great time to learn with support from your family at home.

Mrs Govans                                 

Good Morning from Mrs Schendel – Monday 30th March

Happy Monday everyone.

I hope you all managed to get outside safely over the weekend to enjoy the sunshine.  Skye and I went for a long walk along the river, making sure we kept a safe distance from the people we met.

I joined in the Joe Wicks this morning 😅.  Think I might have some sore legs tomorrow 😂.

Your teachers have set some great tasks for this week.  I am following your blogs and am impressed with all the learning that is taking place at home.  You could e-mail me some of your work too, I’d love to see it.

Keep accessing ActiveLearn, ReadingWise and Sumdog if you can, your teachers are setting specific tasks for you.  Please e-mail me if you are having trouble getting on to any of these and I will do my very best to help.

Keep up the good work.

Mrs Schendel

Well Done Primary 2!

It looks like we have been having a great time learning from home, making, creating, getting outside and spending time with our families. Thank you to everyone who has shared their learning with me, I love seeing what you are up to.  I am so proud of you all, as always! I have added some of the pictures to a slideshow below. Missing you all!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend.

Miss McLean

Thank you to Helen and Graham

I’d like to personally thank our Catering Supervisor, Helen Hall, and our Janitor for the last two weeks, Graham Fullarton, for their brilliant teamwork this week in ensuring that our school dinners were distributed throughout the village.

Both Helen and Graham have been in school with me every day this week, and it’s been a pleasure working alongside them in what has been a very strange and unsettling week.  Thank you to you both.

Although school staff sometimes joke that a school with no weans would be a great place – let me assure you, that is not the case.   We are missing their laughter, their stories, their tantrums and their wee personalities every single day.

So enjoy the weekend, switch off from the schoolwork, have fun with your family and take care (and remember to make your bed!)  See you Monday!

Mrs Govans x                                           

Well Done Primary 4/5!

A huge well done for making it through week 1 primary 4/5. I am so impressed with all your hard work and effort, whilst we settle into our new routines and find our feet, learning from home.

Well done to everyone for using Reading Wise, Active Learn and Sumdog. A special shoutout to Lauren, Keir and Leighton, who are our this weeks challenge winners. Next week brings new challenges and new winners!

It has been fantastic seeing all your posts and photos on your Glow Blogs. If you haven’t posted on Glow yet, maybe next week you can find some time to upload what you have been doing. Remember, you can post things that you are doing with your family at home as well as your home learning.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend.
Miss Robb

Happy Friday!

Well done to everyone who has worked hard this week to keep up their school work, whether it has been on ReadingWise, Sumdog or ActiveLearn, completing the work set by your teachers or attempting the challenges set by Mrs Govans.

The staff are loving seeing your Blogs and emails with the pictures and descriptions of what you have been doing and they have been giving you lots of feedback.  We would like to share some of your work on the main Catrine GLOW page, maybe it will give others some ideas.  If you don’t want us to share your pictures please let us know via email.

If you have not logged on to any of the activities yet and are having difficulty doing this please email me at roberta.schendel@eastayrshire.gov.uk and I will do my best to help.

It’s the weekend tomorrow so remember to take a break from school work, your teachers will be too.   It looks like the weather is going to be nice so get outdoors if it’s safe to do so and by following government guidelines.

Stay safe

Mrs Schendel

Spring Creativity

Well done to those in P5/6 who have sent in some of the amazing work they have been busy with at home. I have loved seeing all the rainbows, acrostic poems, cutlery spelling and the super maths going on.  That’s not forgetting some of the wonderful things you have also been busy doing with your families.  Keep up the hard work.

Take care

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Mrs McCaig

Headteacher’s Challenge #2

Good morning 🙂

I’ve received lots of lovely comments/emails from people in the village about the smashing rainbow pictures in your windows – they’re certainly doing their job of cheering people up so well done.

Today’s challenge is a bit more practical – learn how to make your bed!

This is a job that you should become responsible for – whether you’re in P1 or P7 – as it’s helping your family during these strange times.

If you’re already responsible for making your bed every morning – good for you and keep up the good work!

If this is a new task for you – ask someone at home to show you how they like your bed to be made and then this should be your responsibility from now on (and should continue even when we return to school!)

Your class teachers will be posting on your class GLOW pages every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I hope you’re enjoying the wide variety of tasks that they’re organising for you.

Remember that you don’t have to do every task – if you’re doing other online activities that’s great and it’s even better if you’re having fun with your family in your garden, or reading books, or building Lego or skiddling with water and bubbles – a million different ways you could be learning.

Take care, keep in touch and look after each other.

Mrs Govans

Good afternoon from Mrs Schendel

It has been lovely going through the posts that some of you have been putting up on your GLOW blogs.  I am loving the rainbows, they have really made me smile and I’m sure if they are in your windows they will make others smile too.  Keep the posts coming.

Well done to everyone who is using ReadingWise, ActiveLearn and Sumdog, you are doing a great job.

Remember to have fun and get outside as long as you are following government guidelines 😃.

Mrs Schendel

Accessing Class Pages

As well as accessing information here, staff have been updating the individual class pages.  These can be found by going in to the Primary School classes tab. Check out the photos below to help you find these.

I have also attached the links to take you directly there.

Primary 1  –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-1-miss-c-burleigh/

Primary 2 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-2-miss-j-mclean/

Primary 3/4 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-3-4-mrs-j-ferguson/

Primary 4/5-https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-4-5-miss-a-robb/

Primary 5/6 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-5-6-mrs-f-mccaig/

Primary 7 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-7-mrs-l-mckenna/

Good morning P3/4

Good morning,

Just to let you know that I have set up a Spelling Challenge using this weeks words on Sumdog for you to try.  Good luck!  I already see that a lot of you have been busy logging on Active Learn, Sumdog and Reading Wise.  Well done!

I’m loving my emails that some of you have sent.  It’s lovely to hear about what you have been doing.  Remember you can also update your Glow Blog and Miss McLean has posted a fantastic video reminding you how to do this.  I’d love to see photos of what you have been doing.

Today we are planning to go out into the garden to do a bit of tidying, ready for summer. So why don’t you go outside safely and see what you can do?

Mrs Ferguson

Good Morning from Mrs Schendel

Good morning everyone.

I hope you are all safe and settling into our very strange and different routines.

Well done to those who are continuing to log on to Sumdog, ReadingWise and ActiveLearn.  I am keeping track of everyone and I’m so proud of the efforts you are making.

For parents of those children who receive support from our EAST teacher – I have your child’s plan at home so if you would like some help or ideas please get in touch with me.

My e-mail address is roberta.schendel@eastayrshire.gov.uk

Remember to ‘get outside’ but of course by following government guidelines. P5/6 you could keep working on your commitment and I would love to see photos on your GLOW e-portfolio showing how you are getting on.

Keep safe!

Mrs Schendel

STEM resources

One of our ECC parents works for the Maidsafe Charity, and has asked us to pass on this information.

The MaidSafe Foundation – which is a registered Scottish charity – supports the teaching of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) as well as Art.

With the Covid19 pandemic now closing schools, you will be worried about keeping your children occupied and educated. To try and help you, we have put together some fun activities that have been compiled using STEM teaching guidelines. The activities cover three age groups with two projects for each. As a guide, the Early level activities are for age 3 to P1, the First level for P2 to P4 and the Second level for P5 – P7.

To receive your free resources, simply email info@maidsafe.foundation and we will send them to you. Your email address will not be shared with a third party and will be deleted after we send you the information.

We are also uploading pictures, videos and links to fun activities on Facebook – @MaidSafe Foundation.

You can also visit our website for more information about the charity and to see some of our past projects that may be of interest. https://maidsafe.foundation There are also three free sample lessons from our STEM pack which can be accessed by clicking on the STEM tab.

We want to help you to keep your child/children occupied and educated during this time of uncertainty so please keep safe and well and hopefully you will all enjoy the activities.

Yours sincerely, The MaidSafe Team

Hello P2 from Miss McLean

Good morning Primary 2!

It has been great to see lots of you have been playing games on your SumDog and ReadingWise accounts!

I have allocated a SumDog 2x Table challenge that you might like to try out!

Your SumDog accounts will also be updated with your own spelling words from your grid but remember you could choose to do another spelling activity such as rainbow spelling, diacritical marking, pyramid spelling or even be a text detective and see if you can spot your words in a book!

(all children should have a copy of their own spelling grid, however, some were left in homework bags in the class before the school closure. If you do not have yours I can email you a copy!)

Remember that we are learning all the time and it is important that you spend time with your family, playing and doing your favourite things.

You could even try out Mrs Govans’ Head Teacher Challenge? Or try and complete one of the Lego Challenges below?

Whatever you get up to, remember you can keep me updated on by posting on your Glow Blog or by emailing me. I would love to hear from you.

Take Care,

Miss McLean