Headteacher’s Challenge #3

Happy Tuesday!

I’m working at the Auchinleck Hub today and I’m enjoying looking at all their lovely displays and pupil work (and stealing a few ideas for when we’re all back at Catrine PS!)

Today’s challenge is another practical one, but a REALLY important one …

Learn to tie your shoelaces!

If you can already tie your shoelaces – relax, sit back and have a lazy day – you’ve completed my challenge already 🙂

If you can’t tie your shoelaces yet then this is a great time to learn with support from your family at home.

As always, take care, stay safe and keep in touch.

Mrs Govans                                 

Good Morning from Mrs Schendel – Monday 30th March

Happy Monday everyone.

I hope you all managed to get outside safely over the weekend to enjoy the sunshine.  Skye and I went for a long walk along the river, making sure we kept a safe distance from the people we met.

I joined in the Joe Wicks this morning 😅.  Think I might have some sore legs tomorrow 😂.

Your teachers have set some great tasks for this week.  I am following your blogs and am impressed with all the learning that is taking place at home.  You could e-mail me some of your work too, I’d love to see it.

Keep accessing ActiveLearn, ReadingWise and Sumdog if you can, your teachers are setting specific tasks for you.  Please e-mail me if you are having trouble getting on to any of these and I will do my very best to help.

Keep up the good work.

Mrs Schendel

Well Done Primary 2!

It looks like we have been having a great time learning from home, making, creating, getting outside and spending time with our families. Thank you to everyone who has shared their learning with me, I love seeing what you are up to.  I am so proud of you all, as always! I have added some of the pictures to a slideshow below. Missing you all!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend.

Miss McLean

Thank you to Helen and Graham

I’d like to personally thank our Catering Supervisor, Helen Hall, and our Janitor for the last two weeks, Graham Fullarton, for their brilliant teamwork this week in ensuring that our school dinners were distributed throughout the village.

Both Helen and Graham have been in school with me every day this week, and it’s been a pleasure working alongside them in what has been a very strange and unsettling week.  Thank you to you both.

Although school staff sometimes joke that a school with no weans would be a great place – let me assure you, that is not the case.   We are missing their laughter, their stories, their tantrums and their wee personalities every single day.

So enjoy the weekend, switch off from the schoolwork, have fun with your family and take care (and remember to make your bed!)  See you Monday!

Mrs Govans x                                           

Well Done Primary 4/5!

A huge well done for making it through week 1 primary 4/5. I am so impressed with all your hard work and effort, whilst we settle into our new routines and find our feet, learning from home.

Well done to everyone for using Reading Wise, Active Learn and Sumdog. A special shoutout to Lauren, Keir and Leighton, who are our this weeks challenge winners. Next week brings new challenges and new winners!

It has been fantastic seeing all your posts and photos on your Glow Blogs. If you haven’t posted on Glow yet, maybe next week you can find some time to upload what you have been doing. Remember, you can post things that you are doing with your family at home as well as your home learning.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend.
Miss Robb

Happy Friday!

Well done to everyone who has worked hard this week to keep up their school work, whether it has been on ReadingWise, Sumdog or ActiveLearn, completing the work set by your teachers or attempting the challenges set by Mrs Govans.

The staff are loving seeing your Blogs and emails with the pictures and descriptions of what you have been doing and they have been giving you lots of feedback.  We would like to share some of your work on the main Catrine GLOW page, maybe it will give others some ideas.  If you don’t want us to share your pictures please let us know via email.

If you have not logged on to any of the activities yet and are having difficulty doing this please email me at roberta.schendel@eastayrshire.gov.uk and I will do my best to help.

It’s the weekend tomorrow so remember to take a break from school work, your teachers will be too.   It looks like the weather is going to be nice so get outdoors if it’s safe to do so and by following government guidelines.

Stay safe

Mrs Schendel

Spring Creativity

Well done to those in P5/6 who have sent in some of the amazing work they have been busy with at home. I have loved seeing all the rainbows, acrostic poems, cutlery spelling and the super maths going on.  That’s not forgetting some of the wonderful things you have also been busy doing with your families.  Keep up the hard work.

Take care

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Mrs McCaig

Headteacher’s Challenge #2

Good morning 🙂

I’ve received lots of lovely comments/emails from people in the village about the smashing rainbow pictures in your windows – they’re certainly doing their job of cheering people up so well done.

Today’s challenge is a bit more practical – learn how to make your bed!

This is a job that you should become responsible for – whether you’re in P1 or P7 – as it’s helping your family during these strange times.

If you’re already responsible for making your bed every morning – good for you and keep up the good work!

If this is a new task for you – ask someone at home to show you how they like your bed to be made and then this should be your responsibility from now on (and should continue even when we return to school!)

Your class teachers will be posting on your class GLOW pages every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I hope you’re enjoying the wide variety of tasks that they’re organising for you.

Remember that you don’t have to do every task – if you’re doing other online activities that’s great and it’s even better if you’re having fun with your family in your garden, or reading books, or building Lego or skiddling with water and bubbles – a million different ways you could be learning.

Take care, keep in touch and look after each other.

Mrs Govans

Good afternoon from Mrs Schendel

It has been lovely going through the posts that some of you have been putting up on your GLOW blogs.  I am loving the rainbows, they have really made me smile and I’m sure if they are in your windows they will make others smile too.  Keep the posts coming.

Well done to everyone who is using ReadingWise, ActiveLearn and Sumdog, you are doing a great job.

Remember to have fun and get outside as long as you are following government guidelines 😃.

Mrs Schendel

Accessing Class Pages

As well as accessing information here, staff have been updating the individual class pages.  These can be found by going in to the Primary School classes tab. Check out the photos below to help you find these.

I have also attached the links to take you directly there.

Primary 1  –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-1-miss-c-burleigh/

Primary 2 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-2-miss-j-mclean/

Primary 3/4 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-3-4-mrs-j-ferguson/

Primary 4/5-https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-4-5-miss-a-robb/

Primary 5/6 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-5-6-mrs-f-mccaig/

Primary 7 –https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/ea/catrinepsandecc/primary-7-mrs-l-mckenna/

Good morning P3/4

Good morning,

Just to let you know that I have set up a Spelling Challenge using this weeks words on Sumdog for you to try.  Good luck!  I already see that a lot of you have been busy logging on Active Learn, Sumdog and Reading Wise.  Well done!

I’m loving my emails that some of you have sent.  It’s lovely to hear about what you have been doing.  Remember you can also update your Glow Blog and Miss McLean has posted a fantastic video reminding you how to do this.  I’d love to see photos of what you have been doing.

Today we are planning to go out into the garden to do a bit of tidying, ready for summer. So why don’t you go outside safely and see what you can do?

Mrs Ferguson

Good Morning from Mrs Schendel

Good morning everyone.

I hope you are all safe and settling into our very strange and different routines.

Well done to those who are continuing to log on to Sumdog, ReadingWise and ActiveLearn.  I am keeping track of everyone and I’m so proud of the efforts you are making.

For parents of those children who receive support from our EAST teacher – I have your child’s plan at home so if you would like some help or ideas please get in touch with me.

My e-mail address is roberta.schendel@eastayrshire.gov.uk

Remember to ‘get outside’ but of course by following government guidelines. P5/6 you could keep working on your commitment and I would love to see photos on your GLOW e-portfolio showing how you are getting on.

Keep safe!

Mrs Schendel

STEM resources

One of our ECC parents works for the Maidsafe Charity, and has asked us to pass on this information.

The MaidSafe Foundation – which is a registered Scottish charity – supports the teaching of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) as well as Art.

With the Covid19 pandemic now closing schools, you will be worried about keeping your children occupied and educated. To try and help you, we have put together some fun activities that have been compiled using STEM teaching guidelines. The activities cover three age groups with two projects for each. As a guide, the Early level activities are for age 3 to P1, the First level for P2 to P4 and the Second level for P5 – P7.

To receive your free resources, simply email info@maidsafe.foundation and we will send them to you. Your email address will not be shared with a third party and will be deleted after we send you the information.

We are also uploading pictures, videos and links to fun activities on Facebook – @MaidSafe Foundation.

You can also visit our website for more information about the charity and to see some of our past projects that may be of interest. https://maidsafe.foundation There are also three free sample lessons from our STEM pack which can be accessed by clicking on the STEM tab.

We want to help you to keep your child/children occupied and educated during this time of uncertainty so please keep safe and well and hopefully you will all enjoy the activities.

Yours sincerely, The MaidSafe Team

Hello P2 from Miss McLean

Good morning Primary 2!

It has been great to see lots of you have been playing games on your SumDog and ReadingWise accounts!

I have allocated a SumDog 2x Table challenge that you might like to try out!

Your SumDog accounts will also be updated with your own spelling words from your grid but remember you could choose to do another spelling activity such as rainbow spelling, diacritical marking, pyramid spelling or even be a text detective and see if you can spot your words in a book!

(all children should have a copy of their own spelling grid, however, some were left in homework bags in the class before the school closure. If you do not have yours I can email you a copy!)

Remember that we are learning all the time and it is important that you spend time with your family, playing and doing your favourite things.

You could even try out Mrs Govans’ Head Teacher Challenge? Or try and complete one of the Lego Challenges below?

Whatever you get up to, remember you can keep me updated on by posting on your Glow Blog or by emailing me. I would love to hear from you.

Take Care,

Miss McLean

Headteacher’s Challenge #1

Good morning!  Thank you to the parents/carers of Catrine for heeding the Government advice yesterday and not sending your children to school, giving us the best chance of keeping everyone safe.

It’s been great to check your online learning – lots of you have been working online on Sumdog, Active Learn and Reading Wise – keep it up!

Remember that you should be aiming for one session of Literacy and one session of Numeracy per day – don’t scunner yourselves by trying to do too much all at once.

Your learning over the next wee while isn’t a race – it’s a slow jog.

There’s loads of other things you can be doing with the people in your house – drawing, playing games, building forts, tidying up the garden, reading books …  keep checking your class blog for great ideas from your teachers and remember that you can email them for any advice or help.

On that note – I’m going to set you a Headteacher’s Challenge every Tuesday and Thursday.  Today’s challenge …

Draw, paint or make a collage rainbow picture to put up in your front window to help brighten up the day for keyworkers as they’re going to work, or people who are having to leave their house for essential shopping or simply to cheer up the people who live opposite you and can see your window from theirs.

Let’s work together, as the brilliant Catrine community that we can be, and all do our bit to help get each other through this.

Take care and keep in touch.

Mrs Govans 🙂

How to post on your glow blog.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I hope everyone has had a lovely day learning from home. I have made a step by step guide below that will help you share your learning on your blog!  I would love to see what you have been up to.

If you have any questions, then just email me. My email address is Jacqueline.mclean@glow.sch.uk 😊🌈

Update – Keyworker Childcare Provision Registration

Latest update letter from Linda McAulay-Griffiths, Head of Education at East Ayrshire Council

Dear Parent/Carer

Thank you for working with us in ensuring that we could provide childcare for our most critical key workers today.  It has been enormously helpful that our advice to use our schools as a last resort has been heeded. Having ascertained the number of young people attending our schools and ECCs and are now in a position to revise this further and re-organise according to most needed areas and we will move to a “hub” provision with effect from tomorrow, Tuesday 24th March 2020.

If you wish to access any of this provision you will require to fill in our e-form so that we have your details logged in advance of your child’s arrival.

If you wish to access any of this provision you will require to fill in our e-form here:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=oyzTzM4Wj0KVQTctawUZKWcF6bVSsANAmvUItgCuaeBUOFNBNFdENzhVR0xIQUVINlBJUDgwNzRSSS4u

Once more, no child will be turned away on the first day of this revised provision, providing they have been registered.

A colleague will get back to you if you do not qualify for a keyworker place in these revised provisions.

The available hubs across the authority are as noted below, and meals will be provided to those pupils on site.  All school transport is also now withdrawn given the hub model in place, and the low numbers attending our schools and centres today.

Parents and carers should therefore ensure that their children are transported to the appropriate location.  Provision will run from 9am-3pm, unless otherwise guaranteed by an ECC provision.

Many thanks for working with us on this, such that we can continue to provide childcare at this time for our critical keyworkers.

Pupils from Please register for
Logan PS and ECC
Barshare PS and ECC
Greenmill PS and ECC
New Cumnock PS and ECC
Muirkirk PS and ECC
Netherthird PS and ECC
Cumnock Academy
Hillside parents should discuss directly with Mrs Skeoch today
Greenmill PS and ECC
Doon Academy
Bellsbank PS and ECC
Dalmellington PS and ECC
Patna PS and ECC
Littlemill PS and ECC
St Xavier’s PSDalrymple PS and ECC
Dalmellington PS and ECC

Dalrymple PS and ECC

Sorn PS
Auchinleck PS and ECC
Catrine PS and ECC
Mauchline PS and ECC
Muirkirk PS and ECC
Ochiltree PS and ECC
Auchinleck Academy
St Patrick’s PS
Drongan PS and ECC
Auchinleck PS and ECC

Drongan PS and ECC

Kilmaurs PS and ECC
Dunlop PS and ECCNether Robertland PS and ECC
Lainshaw PS and ECC
Stewarton Academy
Kilmaurs PS and ECC

Nether Robertland PS and ECC

Gargieston PS and ECC
Loanhead PS
Crosshouse PS and ECC
Grange AcademyAnnanhill PS and ECC
Shortlees PS and ECC
Gargieston PS and ECC

Shortlees PS and ECC

Loudoun Academy
Newmilns PS and ECC
Galston PS and ECC
Fenwick PS
St Sophia’s PS
Darvel PS and ECC
Hurlford PS and ECC
Galston PS and ECC
St Andrews PS and ECC
Kilmarnock Academy
Mount Carmel PS
St Joseph’s Academy
Hillhead PS
Onthank PS
JHPS and ECC and Sgoil na Coille NuaidhWhatriggs PS and ECC and Riccarton ECC
Willowbank and Park Schools
Hillbank ECC and Flowerbank ECC
Onthank and Cairns ECC
JHPS and ECC

Whatriggs PS and ECC
Willowbank School
Hillbank ECC
Onthank ECC

Free School Meals information

EAC are continuing to provide meals to Free School Meals entitled families register at http://eastayrshi.re/familymeals

Please click on the above link and register if your child is entitled to Free School Meals.

We are aware that some parents/carers have received emails stating that Free School Meals can be collected from Catrine PS.  At present, NO meals have been delivered to Catrine PS yet.  We will keep you updated with any news about Free School Meals delivery or collection.

Thank you, Mrs Govans

P3/4 – Good Morning (23.3.20)

Good Morning everyone,

I hope you are all well.  I’m going to be using GLOW to share some ideas and activities with you so please keep checking for updates.

This weeks spelling words are:

Red: ow

1. owl
  2. brown
  3. growl
  4. now
  5. crown
  6. allow

Green:  c (soft c)

1. city
  2.  icy
  3. central
  4. circle
  5. cinema
  6. celebrate
  7. December
  8. recite

Common Words:  hand, head, home

Active Learn

I have updated all of your Active Maths games so there is loads of new Addition, Subtraction and Fraction games for you to play.

Sumdog

I have set up some challenges for you all to play on Sumdog.  This week they are focusing on Times Tables and Fractions.  Challenge yourself and have fun!

Stay Active

If you fancy staying fit and active you could join Jo Wicks for some online PE fun.  I have copied the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1

Remember that I’m only an email away and would love to hear about how you are getting on with your work.

My email is eajill.ferguson@glow.sch.uk

Mrs Ferguson

ECC and PS Arrangements for Monday 23rd March

Following further government advice this afternoon, the advice is now to have as few people in ECCs and schools as possible due to the gravity of the current situation and to allow us to prioritise children of keyworkers.

Please do not send your child to Catrine ECC or PS tomorrow unless you are a keyworker who has no other childcare options (please note: it is expected that, in families where one parent is a keyworker, that the other parent provides childcare at this time).

At both establishments, strict social distancing protocols will be in place.  All pupils should be accompanied to ECC/PS by one adult only.

ECC will be open from 8.40am-2.40pm.  ECC pupils will be given a lunch.

PS will be open from 9.00am to 3.00pm.  All pupils will be signed in via the main entrance.

PS pupils in receipt of Free School Meals will be given a lunch.  All other pupils should bring a packed lunch, if possible.

I appreciate how frightening this situation is, and we are trying our best to ensure that families and children who really need our support at this time continue to be supported.  If you have any questions, please phone the ECC or PS.

Thank you for your continued support.  Please take care of yourselves and your families, and all further updates will be sent out via the usual channels so keep checking our APPs and GLOW blogs.

Take care.

Mrs Govans, Headteacher