St Ninian's Chatterbox

Dream, believe, achieve and enjoy!

The Devil’s Porridge Museum

On Thursday, Primary 7 went to  the Devil’s Porridge museum.  In 1916 over 10,00 Irish navvies built the munitions factory. It took 12 months to build and was named the Devil’s Porridge after Arthur Conan Doyle had visited and said the cordite mix look like the Devil’s Porridge. After the cordite was made, it was taken to a storage shed by train, then a different train would take it to the shell company, then they would put the cordite into shells ,then spare London buses, lorries, taxi’s would take the cordite to the battlefield. I really liked seeing and handling ww1 and ww2 items. I even gave Mrs Anderson a fright by telling her to put her hand in the feely-hole, there was a teddy rat inside and she got a big fright! At the end, we took a photo in front of Sir James the locomotive (Train). I really enjoyed it and hope to go back soon.

by Tarley – Shae Mossop P7