St Ninian's Chatterbox

Dream, believe, achieve and enjoy!

My Nativity – A Christmas Story by the Donkey

My Nativity – Donkey

I would like to tell you about something special that has happened recently to me, the grey donkey. It all started when I was asleep outside on hay in the back door of Mary’s home building. Mary was sitting on the roof of her home just above me. Then suddenly Joseph, Mary’s husband, fell asleep in his bed and about half an hour later he woke up shouting for Mary. “Mary! Mary! Where are you?”

“I’m up here Joseph”.

“Oh Mary I had a dream when a star transformed into an angel”.

“The angel told me that a baby is going to be born and God sent the angel to tell me that we have to name the baby Jesus, so we need to go all the way to Bethlehem and you need to ride, the donkey”.

I woke up hearing this and thinking whaaat?

We travelled eeh-awh days to Bethlehem, and when we reached the top of a hill we saw the Bethlehem. We only had 2 more donkey steps and I said, ” I CAN’T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!” But of course Mary and Joseph couldn’t understand me, so I got a smack on the bum. “Ouch!!” I shouted. We went through the gates and we asked an old farmer if we could stay in his barn. He said,” no sorry, got no room left”. We tried several other places but they all said no, but there was one house to ask. Knock, knock, knock. A kind innkeeper opened the door. “Hello there “, greeted Mary.

“We were wondering if we could stay in your stable?” asked Joseph.

“Yes of course, but I do have a lot of animals in there though.”

“That will be absolutely fine,” said Mary.

When we got into the stable I saw a pile of hay waiting for me to sleep on it. I raced for it but a chicken bet me to it, and I was furious. I had to sleep on the cold concrete floor.

Then I saw 3 lights heading towards the stable. 3 Shepherds entered and had presents.

“Oh finally, presents for me, oh wait for the baby and nothing for me.”

“Why thank you so ever much, but why have you brought Jesus presents?”

“To congratulate him of course!”

”Wow, thank you,“ thanked Mary.

The three Shepherds left and Mary said ”Wow, that was weird”.

The next day three wise men which were kings came in and gave Jesus Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. The fat king gave the gold the skinny one gave the frankincense and the bony one gave the myrrh. I only cared about the gold. King bony got down on one knee and held Mary’s hand.

“Don’t you dare propose”, said Joseph in anger. ”I’m not going to propose “, answered king bony with a face. “Mary you must leave Bethlehem and go back to Nazareth, it isn’t safe for Jesus”.

“Why not?” asked Mary.

“Because if King Herod finds you he will kill Jesus!”

Mary and Joseph set off back to Nazareth when I got home, I looked at Jesus and he smiled at me and I smiled back. Then I realized that he wasn’t a bad kid.  I also was their pet and was grateful.

That’s the end of the story folks.

By Drew the Donkey

By Drew Finnie (P5)