Newsletter – Monday 1st June 2020

Dear Family and Friends of Crossmichael and Gelston Primary Schools,

I hope this newsletter finds you well and that you were able to enjoy meeting up family and friends in the sunshine at the weekend.  Whilst the lockdown restrictions begin to gradually lift, we must still remember that things will not go back to normal for some time.

Update on the Reopening of Schools

Last Thursday, you may be aware that the Scottish Government published guidance on reopening schools.  This document aims to clarify how schools can be reopened safely, and in a phased way, whilst still maintaining some consistency across Scotland.  There are many questions that we need to work through to ensure that pupils can return as soon as it is safe to do so.

I have included the document here for your information:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-re-opening-schools-guide/pages/overview/

On Friday, I am meeting with Health and Safety representatives, the property team and trade union representatives to carry out extensive risk assessments at both Crossmichael and Gelston Primary Schools.  Once this has been completed, I will be able to open the school to staff, following social distancing rules and risk assessment requirements.  This means that schools will be open for staff from 8th June on a carefully planned and managed basis.  National advice remains that it is safer to work from home where possible.

The Local Authority is preparing a Local Phasing Delivery Plan which will outline local plans regarding the reopening of schools.  The first step for this is to prepare for the reopening of school buildings throughout June.

I understand that we all have many questions about the expectations throughout June and the reopening of schools in August.  The Local Authority will work together with our school community to ensure a smooth transition for all pupils.

I would recommend that you send any questions to our Parent Council via email.  The email addresses for each are:

crossmichaelparentcouncil@gmail.com

gelstonprimaryparentcouncil@outlook.com

Crossmichael Parent Council are meeting on Monday 8th June at 7pm using the ZOOM app.

Gelston Parent Council are meeting on Tuesday 9th June at 7pm via the ZOOM app.

P7- S1 Transition Arrangements

We will be publishing a pre-recorded assembly for our P7 leavers.  This will include a short speech from each P7 pupil and input from staff.  I will present each child with their gift on their doorstep whilst maintaining a safe distance.   I have included information about the transition to Castle Douglas High School on our partnership schools blog.

N- P1 Transition Arrangements

Ideally, I would like our new P1s to have the opportunity to visit the school before the summer holidays.  I will be in contact with parents as soon as I know if this is possible.  I will be sending out P1 packs to parents and will encourage them to read information on our school website.  Mrs Glover has set up a closed Facebook group for new P1 parents as a way of sharing information.  We have not yet set up a ‘buddy’ system as we are unsure of how this would work remotely.

Staffing and Classes

I am still awaiting confirmation of our staffing in August.  We have several vacancies across the partnership schools.

When pupils return, it will be on a phased basis and they are likely to have some time in school and some time learning from home.  This is referred to as ‘blended learning’.

Pupils will not necessarily be attending classes along with peers from their own class.  We will need to consider accommodating siblings on the same days to make this manageable for our families.  This will also make it easier for us to maximise the amount of children that we can safely have in the building in order to receive teaching input.

I thank you for your patience and understanding as we try to find the safest and most effective way of reopening our schools.  Please contact your Parent Council with any questions in advance of the meetings happening next week.  The Local Authority will be consulting with us as they develop their Local Phasing Delivery Plan.

Best wishes,

Mary E Lidstone-Scott

Headteacher