Newsletter – Monday 20th April 2020

Dear Families and Friends of Crossmichael Primary School,

At this time I would normally be writing a newsletter to welcome you back and to give you a list of diary dates for Term 4.  Although this term is not what any of us expected, I would like to thank you for your support.  We are learning to adjust to a new way of living and working.  It is not easy but I think we are doing a good job so far!  I am particularly proud of our children for coping so well under the circumstances.  Thank you.

Learning from Home

The class Facebook pages have proved popular with most families able to access information.  It has been lovely to see photographs of you and your children having fun and enjoying the beautiful weather whilst also following advice on social distancing.

The GLOW groups have also been well used by children and staff despite some teething problems in the beginning.  I have enjoyed looking over pupils’ work and seeing photographs of families learning new things together.  Thank you for these.  We are all learning to work in new ways and I thank you for your ongoing support.

The Council has asked me for updated details of any family who is having difficulty accessing online learning due to WiFi access/ devices so that we can support you.  Please reply to the text message I sent to you at the weekend.

Resources to Support Emotional Wellbeing and Welfare

Our Educational Psychologists and Clinical Psychologists have come together to produce resources to support pupils, parents and staff with our emotional wellbeing and welfare.   There are useful resources to help you support your child in managing anxiety, managing change and in coping with bereavement.  I will upload documents to our Partnership Schools Website.

One particularly good resource is a free story book written for children explaining the Coronavirus:

Coronavirus book for children Axl Schleffer

It is also worth mentioning that our Educational Psychologist and Educational Visitor telephone consultation service is available for parents, carers and staff.  Please see the poster below for details:

Telephone consultation service for staff carers parents

Dalbeattie Learning Campus Childcare Hub

I am fortunate to be part of the team involved in setting up and running the emergency childcare hub which moved from Castle Douglas Primary School to Dalbeattie Learning Campus at the end of last term.  I have been overwhelmed by the volume of staff who have volunteered to work in the Hub including cleaners, catering staff, facilities assistants, Learning Assistants, Early Years staff, Teachers and members of the Senior Leadership Teams in schools.  We have also had a number of volunteers from out with schools.

This Hub is available for families who have one parent/ carer who is a key worker and where all other childcare options have been exhausted.  It is also available for vulnerable children who may need childcare for a variety of reasons.

It is available seven days a week from 7am – 8pm and was open during the school holidays.  We are fortunate that parents and carers have been very sensible about using this facility and the numbers have remained relatively low.  This is vital for the safety of everyone in the Hub.

To register, please contact Dalbeattie Primary School on 01556 613130.

Children have opportunities to play and learn outside and indoors whilst being reminded to follow rules about social distancing.  There is designated time for pupils to access online learning provided by their teachers too.  Each child has access to free school meals when they attend.  It is satisfying to know that we are supporting our key workers.

Diary Dates

Friday 8th May is a non-pupil day (May Day holiday) and Friday 29th May is also a non-pupil day (Staff Inset Day).

Targeted Pupil Plans and Child’s Plan Meetings

Several pupils receive targeted support and have individual pupil plans.  We normally meet every 6-8 weeks to review targets on these plans.  It is my intention to continue with these meetings although targets will need revised to reflect the current situation.  I will be in touch with individual families to discuss how best to approach this whether that is by telephone, video call, via email or a combination of all three.

The New Portacabin

You will be aware that we have 83 pupils wishing to access our school in August 2020 but our current capacity is 75.  I am delighted to report that permission has been given to build a portacabin in the playground to accommodate pupils.

Thank you very much to the Parent Council who held a meeting to discuss different options then contacted the Local Authority to share the key points from your discussion.

I will provide you with further details once I have more information.

Keeping in Touch

Please continue to keep in touch with your child’s teacher via email or through class Facebook pages.  We are working from home.

I am available via email: gw08scottmary01@ea.dumgal.sch.uk or via telephone: 07741 686730.  I would be delighted to hear from you.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss anything further.  I will be sending you regular updates as I receive them.  Please keep safe and be kind to yourselves.

Warmest wishes,

Mary E Lidstone-Scott

Headteacher (and Mum trying to home-school and work at the same time!)