Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Place Value

Activity 1 – House Prices

Focus – I can use my knowledge of place value to count, read, write, partition and order numbers.

Resources – newspapers, computer with internet access, paper and pencils.

Find different house prices from adverts in the local paper or the internet. List up to ten prices and underline one digit of each house price and identify the value of it using words or figures, e.g. £984 000 is eighty thousand pounds or £80 000; £175 000 is five thousand pounds or £5000.

Activity 2 – Space Hopping

Resources – internet access or books on space, pencil and paper.

Research the distance from the Earth to the Moon and other planets, e.g. it is about 384 403 km to the Moon.  Write the information in digits and in words (three hundred and eighty-four thousand, four hundred and three kilometres) and write the distances in order.

Activity 3 – Digit Shuffle

Focus – I can use an extended range of numbers – Beyond 5 digits.

Resources – pencil and paper

Write the last six digits of a phone number (your own or a family member’s)  and for each number write it in words and partition the digits like this: 387 249 is three hundred and eighty-seven thousand, two hundred and forty-nine. 387 249 = 387 000 + 249.

Try this with this different numbers.

Activity 4 – Temperature Chain

Focus – I can use an extended range of numbers – Negative numbers.

Resources – pencil and paper

Make a puzzle by writing a chain of temperature changes, e.g. It was 7°C and then it reached 10°C. The temperature then rose by 5° before dropping a further 8°. What is the temperature now? Ask a family member to solve the puzzle.