Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Money

Activity 1 – Advert Watch

Focus – I can talk about the different ways that money is represented and accessed.

Resources – pens and paper.

Look at different media (e.g. TV, internet, newspapers, magazines) and write down, record or cut out examples of adverts for credit cards, banks and building societies. Bring these to school and share with the class to create a display of information.

Activity 2 – £1 Coin Story

Resources – pens and paper.

Write a short paragraph which tells the story of what happens to a £1 coin during the course of a day. For example, The shopkeeper gives it in change to my Mum. My Mum uses the £1 as part of a payment to buy a bus ticket.  The  bus driver gives it in change to another passenger, Mr Douglas, who later uses the £1 coin to buy some groceries.

How creative can you be with your £1 story? Email your story to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk 

Activity 3 – Needs and Wants

Focus – I can talk about the different products and services people spend money on and the choices they make.

Resources – pens and paper.

Choose a room at home and  write down 10 or more things the room contains. For each thing written down decide whether it is a need or a want and write ‘n’ or ‘w’ accordingly. Discuss with the rest of your family.

Activity 4 – Adverts

Resources – pens and paper.

Choose five adverts (e.g. leaflets through the letterbox, adverts in the media, such as TV, internet, newspapers and magazines). Record (cut out, describe, print out) these adverts and sort them according to need or want. Rank the needs in order, from most to least important.

Activity 5 – Buying Online

Focus – I am developing a sense of costs, value and pricing.

Resources – pens and paper, access to the internet.

Choose 10 items you think your household needs, or that you would like, including toys. Estimate the price of each and work out a total cost. Then, if you have internet access, check some of your estimations online and discuss the results with your family.

Activity 6 – Other Costs

Resources – newspapers, magazines, access to the internet.

Work with your family to look at adverts in the media (e.g. in leaflets, newspapers, magazines, internet adverts). Choose some items and jot down the extra costs there might be in buying the thing advertised (e.g. postage, parking charges, VAT, etc.). How may other costs can you find?

Activity 7 – Special offers

Focus – I can compare deals and offers and talk about what represents best value.

Resources – pens and paper, newspapers, magazines, access to the internet.

Collect examples of special offers from the media (e.g. leaflets, newspaper and magazine adverts, internet adverts). How many types of special offers can you find?

Create some special offers. Make up your own some special offers for a favourite product. This can be handwritten or done a computer. Show the price for an individual item and the special deals. Please print out or photograph your Special Deal and email to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk (or bring in to school to be scanned) and we will add it to this webpage 🙂

Activity 8 – My Budget

Focus – I can plan and make choices for spending money within a budget.

Resources – pens and paper

Imagine you earn £10 a week. Make up an imaginary budget showing how you would plan to spend and/or save that money.

Activity 9 – Savings!

Resources – pens and paper

Create a poster which might encourage your family or friends to save. Please share your poster by email to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk (or bring in to school to be scanned) and we will add it to this webpage 🙂

Activity 10 – Saving Up!

Focus – I can talk about the different ways people plan for their spending and the choices they make.

Resources – pens and paper

Select some items advertised in a catalogue or online and record different ways that these items would be saved up for.
For example, if an item costs £120 then you could save up at £12 per month over 10 months or £10 over 12 months, £5 over 24 months etc. 

Think about how you could make a savings plan for the P7 Kingswood Residential Visit (£250).

Activity 11 – Bank with Us.

Focus – I can talk about the different ways people keep track of their spending and why this is important.

Resources – pens and paper

Create a poster (on paper or on computer) for an imaginary bank encouraging a 10/11 year old to open an account with them. Please share your poster by email to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk (or bring in to school to be scanned) and we will add it to this webpage 🙂

Activity 12 – Holiday to Europe

Focus – I can work out currency conversions and understand the implications of these.

Resources – pens and paper, currency conversion chart

Imagine your family is going on holiday to Europe. Think about the different things you would need to budget for when on holiday that you would need to pay for in euros (e.g. accommodation, food, entrance costs, car hire). Make a list of the costs and then use currency conversion information (online for up to date) to work out the cost in Euros.

If you do not have access to a computer to find the current exchange rate please use £1 = 1.15 Euros

Activity 13 – Dragons Den

Focus – I can devise a budget in planning an enterprise project and work out the calculations involved.

Resources – pens and paper

Think of a new product (e.g. shampoo, button-sized radio, personal mini-aeroplane). Prepare a pitch for this product, aiming to convince a bank or other lender to lend them some money to start making their product to sell. Think about who will be the audience for their pitch and how much money they will be asking for.

Now present to your pitch to a family member and see if you can persuade them to support your product.

Activity 14 – What Makes It Successful

Focus – I can carry out an enterprise project and present and discuss my accounts working out the profit and/or loss involved.

Resources – pens and paper

Imagine you run a business and think about some of the things which would be important to make this successful. Create create a poster to show this information and share with your family. 

Please also hare your poster by email to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk (or bring in to school to be scanned) and we will add it to this webpage 🙂