Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Area, Perimeter and Volume

Activity 1 – When do we use Perimeter and Area?
Focus – I have explored the area and perimeter of 2D shapes and the volume of solid 3D objects – Area and perimeter and area of squares and rectangles.

Talk together about when people need to know about area and perimeter. What kind of people are they and why do they need to know? e.g. a carpet layer would need to know the area of a room to order the correct size of carpet.

Activity 2 – Area and Perimeter at Home.

Resources – pencil and paper (A4 size – available from the school)

Use your knowledge of length (e.g. longer side of A4 paper is about 30 cm). Use this to work out the approximate length and width of at least three objects at home. Record these and use this to calculate the area and perimeter.

Activity 3 – Area of Words cm Squared Paper.

Resources – pencil and squared paper (available from the school)

Write your name, initials or favourite colour in block print on cm squared paper. Calculate the perimeter and area of each letter.

Activity 4 – Area of Words cm Squared Paper.

Write your favourite word in block print on cm squared paper. Use squares, rectangles and triangles in the letters. Calculate the perimeter and area of each letter.

Activity 5 – Different Ways cm Squared Paper.

Focus – I have explored the area and perimeter of 2D shapes and the volume of solid 3D objects – Area of a triangle and area of compound shapes using squares, rectangles and triangles.

Draw the same compound shape on cm squared paper several times. How many different ways can you split it into  triangles, squares and rectangles to calculate the area?

Activity 6 – Big and Small.

Focus – I have explored the area and perimeter of 2D shapes and the volume of solid 3D objects – Volume of solid objects and their surface area.

Resources – household items.

Find two big and two small things at home (e.g. TV, cupboard, computer mouse, grain of rice) and estimate the volume of each in cubic centimetres. How many times could the small object fit into the large object?

Activity 7 – Measure Number.

Focus – I can interpret a problem involving measures and find a solution.

Resources – pencil and paper

Think of one number to which you add each of these units in turn: cm2, cm3, m, km. Record a measurement which would give this number and unit.

For example,
64 m: the length of a 32 cm line drawn to a scale of 1:200;
64 cm2: a square with sides of length 8 cm.