Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Time

Activity 1 – Time Devices at Home.

Focus – I can talk about why time is important in our lives.

Resources – pencil and paper.

Look around the House and write, draw or take a photo where you see time devices at home, e.g. alarm clock, cooker timer. Photographs can be emailed to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk to be added to this webpage.

Talk together about how the devices are used.

Activity 2 – Things that Happen at Home.

Focus – I can measure how long it will take me to do something using non-standard units and am beginning to have a sense of how long a second, minute or hour lasts.

Resources – pencil and paper.

On a piece of paper write three headings Past, Present and Future.
Draw something you have done, something you are doing right now, and something you think you will do soon,  under the headings.

Activity 3 – Collecting Dates.

Focus – I can talk about days, months and seasons and can relate this to how you are shown on different calendars.

Work with family and friends to collect some key dates, e.g. Dad’s birthday is 5th March, we go on holiday on 10th July. Talk together about events throughout the year.

Activity 4 – How Long Does it Take?

Resources – pencil and paper.

Think of things you or friends do at home that you estimate take about a second, a minute or an hour. Draw up a table with headings for Second, Minute and Hour and write your ideas in the different columns.

Activity 5 – One-minute Talk.

Resources – watch or clock to measure a minute.

Work with a partner. Talk about something (e.g. a favourite holiday, all about me, my pet) that you think will take about one minute to read out. Stop when you think you have been talking for a minute.  How close to a minute did it take?

Activity 6 – Time Challenge.

Focus – I can estimate what I can do in different lengths of time and can check my estimates using a variety of different timers and units of time.

Resources – pencil and paper.

Write down five things you do at home in the evening, e.g. watch TV, eat, brush teeth. Put these in order, according to how long you spend on each activity.

Activity 7 – What Time Does my Clock Say?

Focus – I can tell the time on digital and analogue clocks..

With a family partner create up to five problems each such as My Time is an hour before 3:15 pm. What time am I thinking of?  Share your problem times with each other.

Activity 8 – Fantasy Holiday.

Focus – I can tell the time on digital and analogue clocks.

Resources – pencil and paper.

Write down five times of day between getting up and bedtime. You imagine you are on a dream holiday and invent what you are doing at each of these times (e.g. swimming, eating ice-cream, bowling).

Activity 9 – Timeline.

Resources – pencil and paper.

Observe a friend, pet or family member. Write down the times at which they do at least five different things during the course of an evening and then show these on a timeline.

Activity 10 – Fantasy Timetable

Focus – I can read, interpret and create timetables to help me plan my time.

Resources – pencil and paper.

Imagine that you are your favourite celebrity. You plan how you would spend your fantasy day out. You must include at least six activities and log the start time and duration of each. You should account for each hour of the waking day, i.e. from about 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.