Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Shape and Symmetry

Activity 1 – 2D Shape House.

Focus – I can create a picture or model using a wide variety of 3D objects or 2D shapes.

Resources – paper and pens.

Working together – draw two houses, either your own house or an imaginary house using 2D shapes that you know (e.g. circle, square, rectangle, triangle).Share your house with the other person and talk about the shapes you used.

Small house Remix by rejon

Activity 2 – Robot Challenge.

Resources – paper and pens.

Draw a picture of a robot using at least 3 different 2D shapes. Name the shapes you have used.

Activity 3 – 3D Objects at Home.

Focus – I have explored and can talk about a range of 3D objects and 2D shapes – 3D objects.

Resources – paper and pens.

Work together to find at least five real-life examples of different 3D objects in your home and, if you can, to give the mathematical name of the 3D object, e.g. toilet roll is a cylinder. You might like to bring your list into school to share.

Activity 4 – Similarities and Differences.

Resources – paper and pens.

Look for two different 3D objects at home. Discuss their names and list some of their similarities and differences.

Activity 4 – Rectangles on 3D Objects.

Focus – I have explored and can talk about a range of 3D objects and 2D shapes – 2D shapes and the link to 3D objects.

Resources – paper and pens.

Work together to make a list of 3D objects in the home that have at least one rectangular face, for example, door, TV, picture frame.

Activity 6 – Outlines.

Resources – paper and pens.

Look for things in the home that you can draw round to produce a circle, rectangle or square. Write inside the drawing the name of the object.

Activity 7 – Rolling Objects

Focus – I can name 3D objects and 2D shapes and can sort them according to their properties – 3D objects.

Resources – paper and pens.

Find some 3D objects at home and write down which will roll and which will not roll. Can you identify what property of the object allows it to roll?

Activity 8 – Shapes on the way to School

Focus – I can name 3D objects and 2D shapes and can sort them according to their properties – 2D shapes and the link to 3D objects.

Resources – paper and pens.

Discuss your journey between home and school. List five objects you pass on the way. Write or draw the 2D shapes that are in the 3D objects e.g. a lampost has a cylinder column which s made from a large rectangle which has been curved over.

Activity 9 – Tile Shapes

Focus – I have explored how different shapes fit together to make a tiling pattern.

Resources – paper and pens.

Look around to find parts of your home that show tiling patterns (e.g. roof slates, bathroom floors, etc.). Draw and label the shapes you spot. You can also photograph them and email a photo to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk and we will add them to the webpage.

Activity 10 – Bathroom Tiles

Resources – squared paper (please ask at the school) and pens.

Create a pattern of tiles for your bathroom on squared paper. Please email a photo to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk and we will add your design to the webpage.

Activity 11 – Symmetrical Shapes

Focus – I can make my own symmetrical pictures and patterns and can recognise when a shape or pattern is symmetrical.

Resources – paper and pens.

Look around the house and find and draw one shape which is symmetrical and one which is not.

Activity 12 – Symmetry Challenge

Resources – paper and pens.

Fold a piece of paper in half and draw on one side of the fold line. Challenge a partner to complete the other half so the picture is symmetrical.