Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Number Knowledge (includes Place Value and Rounding)

Activity 1 – The Digit 3.

Focus – I can discuss the digits in a number, their position, their value and I know why zero is important – Up to at least 100.

Resources – pencil and paper

Investigate how many numbers between 0 and 100 have the digit 3. List all the numbers and say whether the digit 3 is a tens digit or a units digit (include the number 33 that has both). How many numbers do you think would have a different digit such as 7?

Activity 2 – Division Problems.

Focus – I can use my table facts and a variety of mental methods to work out division calculations – 2-digit numbers divided by 1-digit numbers.

Resources – pencil and paper

Work with another family member. Use the digits 4, 8 and 2 to make as many different division problems as you can,
e.g. 24 ÷ 8,
48 ÷ 2, etc.

Solve each question, using an appropriate mental (if possible) or written method.

Activity 3 – Calculation Choices.

Focus – I can select and use the most appropriate strategy for solving multiplication and division problem.

Resources-

Write a multiplication and division question and explain to someone at home how you did it.

Activity 4 – Story Time

Focus – I can talk about how numbers are used all around me.

Resources – story book, pencil and paper.

Find one of your favourite story books and make a list of every time a number is used. Talk with a family member or friend about what each number tells you.

Activity 5 – Recipes.

Resources – recipe book, pencil and paper

Find a recipe from a book or online. List the numbers in the recipe and what each number is used  for

e.g. 180 C = how hot
3 eggs = how many
300g = how much
2 mins = how long

Activity 6 – Make A Puzzle.

Focus – I can count on and back in sequence, use this to help me accurately count a group of objects and know if my answer makes sense.

Resources – pencil, paper and scissors

Write a sequence of about 8–10 numbers on a strip of paper. These could be numbers of any size.Then cut the strip into pieces to make a jigsaw puzzle. Time how long it takes you to put the numbers back in order. Ask other family members to have a go too.

Activity 7 – Football League.

Focus – I can use numbers to describe the order of items.

Resources – league table, pencil and paper

Find a football league table from TV, online or a newspaper. Cut out or copy the table and then write headlines to say which teams are in which positions in the league.

Activity 8 – Digit Shuffle – T U

Resources – pencil and paper

Write the last three digits of a phone number (your home or a family member’s.) It is better if the three digits are different. Write all the different 2-digit numbers that you can make with the digits. For each number, partition the digits into tens and units and give their values, e.g. 24 = 2 tens and 4 units = 20 + 4.

Activity 9 – Digit Shuffle – H T U

Resources – pencil and paper

Write the last three digits of a phone number (your home or a family member’s.) It is better if the three digits are different. Write the six different 3-digit numbers that you can make with the digits. For each number, partition the digits into tens and units and give their values, e.g. 249 = 2 hundreds, 4 tens and 9 units = 200 + 40 + 9

Activity 10 – The Digit 6.

Focus – I can discuss the digits in a number, their position, their value and I know why zero is important – Up to at least 1000.

Resources – pencil and paper

Investigate how many numbers between 550 and 600 have the digit 6.  List all the numbers and say whether the digit 6 is a hundreds digit, a tens digit or a units digit or a combination of these.

Activity – 11  Digit Shuffle – Th, H T U

Focus – I can discuss the digits in a number, their position, their value and I know why zero is important – Beyond 1000.

Resources – pencil and paper

Choose four different digits and the digit zero, e.g. 4, 8, 2, 6 and 0. Write at least 10 different 4 or 5 digit numbers using the digits. For each number, partition the digits and give their values,
e.g. 8046 = 8 thousands, 0 hundreds, 4 tens and 6 units = 8000 + 40 + 6.

Activity 12 – House Prices.

Resources – house adverts, pencil and paper

Find different house prices from adverts in the local paper or the internet. List up to 10 prices and identify, by underlining, which digit represents the thousands (or ten thousands) in each house price, e.g. £98 000 or £375 000.

Activity 13 – Money Matters.

Focus – I can recognise and record numbers in different formats – Up to 10.

Resources – coins, pencil and paper

Draw sets of coins with totals under £1. Write the total amount in each set, in pence, in words and in figures next to the pictures of the coins.

Activity 14 – Finding Numbers – T U

Resources – newspaper, magazines, glue, pencil and paper

Cut out examples of numbers from newspapers or magazines and stick them onto a piece of paper to make numbers up to 99. Numbers can be written in words, numerals, pictures, graphs etc. and beside each example show that number in a different way, e.g. if it is in figures write the words, if it is written in words write it in figures.

Activity 15 – Finding Numbers – H T U

Focus – I can recognise and record numbers in different formats – Up to 100.

Cut out examples of numbers from newspapers or magazines and stick them onto a piece of paper to make numbers up to 999. Numbers can be written in words, numerals, pictures, graphs etc. and beside each example show that number in a different way, e.g. if it is in figures write the words, if it is written in words write it in figures.

Activity 16 – Mass Matters

Focus – I can recognise and record numbers in different formats – Beyond 100.

Resources – pencil, paper and food tins, packets.

Look in the cupboards at home for tins and food packets with amounts shown in grams or millilitres, such as 440 g, 125 ml, etc. Write eight different measurements as shown on the packet or tins and then record each amount in words using the number names,
e.g. 150g is One hundred and fifty grams.

Activity 17 – Join the Dots

Focus – I can compare numbers and put them in order – Up to at least 100.

Resources – pencil, paper, pen and rubber.

Make a simple join-the-dots puzzle using 2-digit numbers. Draw a simple outline in pencil without taking the pencil off the paper. Then, using pen, write numbers in order (not every number needs to be used, but they must be in order). Then rub the shape out to leave a puzzle for a family member or friend to solve.

Activity 18 – Phone Line

Focus – I can compare numbers and put them in order – Up to at least 1000.

Resources – pencil and paper

Draw a long straight line across a piece of paper. Write the last six digits of a phone number as two 3-digit numbers, e.g. 318 and 225. Write the smaller number at the left-hand end of the line and the larger at the right-hand end. Along the line write at least 12 different numbers so that all the numbers are in order from left to right.

Activity 19 – Mass List

Resources – pencil, paper, food tins, packets.

Look at the tins and packets in your kitchen cupboard. List the mass of at least 8 different items in grams. Finally, write the amounts in order, from smallest to largest.

Activity 20 – Over The Years

Focus – I can compare numbers and put them in order – Beyond 1000.

Resources – pencil and paper

Ask friends and family members to tell you the year that they or anyone they know were born. Make a list of at least 12 different years and write them in order.

Activity 21 – Guess My Number

Focus – I can use symbols to help me to describe number relationships – Up to at least 100.

Choose a number from 0–50. An adult asks questions with yes/no answers to guess the number. How many questions does the adult need to ask?

Activity 22 – Dice Game

Focus – I can round numbers up or down – Nearest 10.

Resources – pencil, paper and a dice.

Play this game with a friend or family member. Player 1 has the numbers 10, 30 and 50. Player 2 has 20, 40 and 60. Roll the dice twice to form a 2-digit number and round it. The player with that multiple of 10 scores a point. The winner is the first player to reach 8. If the two dice rolls make a number more than 65 then roll again.

Activity 23 – Digit Rounding

Focus – I can round numbers up or down – Nearest 100.

Resources – phone number, pencil and paper

Use the digits from a phone number and write as many 3-digit numbers as you can. Then round each of these numbers to the nearest 100 and record them like this: 486 → 500