Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Measurement

Activity 1 – Measuring the Family.

Focus – I can talk about how measurements are used all around me.

Resources – pencil and paper.

Draw your family members, putting them in order of height. Then draw them in order of age. Talk together about whether the two orders are the same.

Activity 2 – Measures at Home.

Focus I can talk about how measurements are used all around me.

Resources – Household items.

Look for five examples of recorded measurements on food and other packaging. Talk together about what the measurements mean and discuss whether the measure is of weight, length or capacity.

Activity 3 – Shorter Than / Longer Than.

Focus – I can compare and order the measurements of different objects using direct comparison and nonstandard units – Length.

Resources – pen and paper, household items.

Find and draw three things that are shorter than your hand span and three that are longer.

Activity 4 – Heavier Than / Lighter Than in the Home.

Focus – I can compare and order the measurements of different objects using direct comparison and nonstandard units – Weight.

Find and draw three things that you think are heavier than your pencil or pen and three you think are  lighter. Discuss your findings with another family member.

Activity 5 – More or Less Cup, Containers.

Focus – I can compare and order the measurements of different objects using direct comparison and nonstandard units – Capacity and volume.

Resources – cup and selection of household containers.

Work over a sink. Choose a cup and find three containers that hold more and three that hold less. Talk together about your findings.

Activity 6 – Large and Small.

Resources – selection of household containers.

Look around the home and choose which you think is the largest container and which is the smallest container. Talk together about your findings.

Activity 7 – Larger or Smaller.

Focus – I can compare and order the measurements of different objects using direct comparison and nonstandard units – Area.

Resources – pencil, paper and household objects.

Choose an object at home (e.g. a paper sheet, book, flattened biscuit wrapper) and find and draw two flat objects that you think have a  larger area and two with a smaller area.

Activity 8 – Hands.

Compare palms with other family members by placing your hands against each other. Talk together about your findings.

Activity 9 – Estimating the Length Using my Span.

Focus – I can estimate, measure and compare different quantities – Length.

Resources – ruler or measuring tape.

Measure the length of your hand span, e.g. 8 cm. Use this to estimate the length of five objects at home and convert this to centimetres, e.g. the computer monitor is around six hand spans so it must be about 50 cm.

Activity 10 – What Unit Would I Use?

Resources – household objects.

Choose five objects at home (e.g. fork, bath, table, shoe, length of living room) and discuss what tool and what unit you would use to measure it, e.g. ruler, metre stick, measuring jug.

Activity 11 – Containers.

Focus – I can estimate, measure and compare different quantities – Capacity and volume.

Resources – household objects, pencil and paper.

Look for containers whose contents are measured in millilitres and record the container and amount. Aim for as long a list as possible.

Activity 12 – Square Centimetres or Square Metres?

Focus – I can estimate, measure and compare different quantities – Area.

Resources – pencil and paper.

Write down the names of five items at home whose area you would measure in square centimetres and another five items whose area you would measure in square metres. Talk together about your findings.

Activity 13 – Bigger or Smaller?

Focus -I can estimate, measure and compare different quantities – Area.

Resources – squared paper (from school).

Use squared paper to draw round your hand and work out in square centimetres the approximate area of the palm of your hand. Use this knowledge to estimate the areas of 5–10 objects at home.

Activity 14 – Body-Measure Links.

Focus – I can solve problems involving measures.

The length of a person’s outstretched arms (fingertip to fingertip) is approximately the same as their height. Check this on yourself and other family or friends. How will you check this? Can you do it without measuring tools or not?

Activity 15 – Sweet Wrapper 1 cm Squared Paper.

Resources – squared paper (from school) and pencils.

Use cm squared paper to design a wrapper for a new cube shaped chocolate bar whose height, width and length are all 2 cm. Please photograph and email to gw08officecastle@ea.dumgal.sch.uk or send in your design to be scanned so it can be added to our website page.