Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Data and Analysis

Activity 1 – Sorting at Home

Focus – I can sort when playing and in my everyday activities.

Involve your child in sorting at home by collecting all of one kind of thing. For example, when doing the laundry they can find all the socks to put into pairs or when tidying up they can collect all the books to put away.

Activity 2 – Sorting at Home

Focus – I can sort in a variety of different ways according to my own and others’ criteria.

Ideas for sorting at Home.
Ask your child to help with unpacking and sorting the groceries then put them away. For example, they can put all the tins together to go in the cupboard, or find all the fruit to put in the fruit bowl.

Activity 3 – Ideas for Looking at Signs.

Focus – I am learning to create and ‘read’ signs and charts.

At home look for signs in everyday life e.g. logos on food packets, carrier bags, equipment (Xbox, etc).

On the way to and from school look for and discuss signs e.g. street names, shop names, traffic signs, etc.

Activity 4 – Ideas for Data Collection at Home.

Focus – I can ask questions to help gather information and display findings in different ways.

Help your child to produce a pictorial ‘profile’ of themselves e.g. what they like doing, how many brothers and sisters they have, etc. They could draw information on a sticky note or piece of paper and bring back to the class to compare with other pupils and make a class display.

This will provide teachers with ideas for how to use data about pupils themselves as material for sorting and recording.