Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

Click on the Title to return to Home Page.

Our Weekly News – February 7th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.     

Each week we try our very best to either upload a weekly post or share Twitter posts for every class. Please have a read and a chat together about what we have been up to this week. 

School News

Well done to our Quiz Team – Ellie, Emily, Miriam and Seren who represented the school at the local heat of the Scottish Rotary Quiz. After eight challenging rounds the team came out on top and will represent the CD area at the Dumfries and Galloway heat later in the year. 

  Mid-Term Holiday
A reminder that there is a Pupil Holiday from Monday 17th – Friday 21st February.

Class News

Primary 1a and 1b 

We were excited to go on our walk around the town on Wednesday when we were able to see all the buildings we had discussed and made models of last week as part of our topic on Our Community. It was great fun playing in the park afterwards too!  
We’ve also had the opportunity to hear from some of our parents about their different jobs, and would like to thank all those who are coming in to talk to the children this week and next. It’s really good for the children to hear all about the world of work.  

Our sounds have been ‘w’ and ‘y’ this week. We have made windmills and weather clocks, created yummy yoghurt ideas and painted yellow sunflowers. That’s us nearly finished our initial sounds and it’s super to see so many of the children knowing and using them confidently-thanks for all the support in completing their homework sheets-this really helps their learning.  

In Maths we are continuing with addition to 10, doubles and 3d shape recognition.   

In our PE time we have been working in teams to carry out some basic orienteering tasks using Happy Harry and Sad Sam- it’s been fun!! 
This week we also revisited our school rules and shared our thoughts on what being respectful towards one another means – in particular we are thinking about what being a good friend means. 

We are enjoying using our new French phrases – Comment t’appelles-tu? and the answer Je m’appelle Sandy ( what’s your name…..my name’s Sandy). Au revoir. A bientot!!!! 

Wider Achievement
Kieran was named player of the match at Threave Rovers football!! Well done!! 

Congratulations to Annie, Anna B, Maisie, Emily and Lacey who all made their promises at Rainbows.  

Primary 2 

This week we have been reading our class novel The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark. 

Teagan : Plop asked an old lady about the dark. She liked the dark because you could see animals in the dark. 

Charlotte : Plop fell off his branch and a little girl thought he was a roly poly ball. It was funny. 

Iris : The boy thought Plop was a roly poly pudding when he fell off his branch. He told them dark was good for fireworks. 

Josh and Melisa : We liked when Plpo was singing with the boy scouts. It was funny when he went eek . 

Ayla : I learned barn owls go eek and Tawny owls go tu whit a woo. 

We also learned about nocturnal and diurnal animals.  

Zane: Foxes and hedgehogs come out at night and sleep during the day. They are nocturnal animals. 

Beth : People come out at day time and go to sleep at night. We are diurnal people. 

Primary 3 

On Wednesday, we joined with P2/3, P3/4 and P4 to participate in activities for Child Mental Health Week. We enjoyed our yoga activities, talking about our own feelings, exercising with sticks and experiencing massage techniques.  

On Friday, we are celebrating Global Play Day. We are looking forward to sharing our toys with our peers and developing the key skills of teamwork, decision-making, problem-solving and co-operation.  

Primary 3/4  

Ferne – “I liked doing the clay model”.  

Aiden – “Making the clay models was fun. I liked painting mine”.  

Eamon – “I liked doing the clay modelling. It was really messy. I made a penguin”. 

Maisy – “I liked making my penguin from clay because I liked when you had to smooth it all together”.  

Rose – “We were making polar animals from clay” 

Alba – “I liked painting a picture of a polar animal. I painted a lost penguin”.  

Brooke P. – “I enjoyed doing the filing for our parents coming in. I liked handing them out and I enjoyed looking at all my hard work”.  

Lewis – “I liked painting my clay model”.  

Rory – “I am looking forward to Global Play Day today”.  

Jack – “I am going to play with Kyle”.  

Gregor – “I liked doing the clay models because I had enough clay left to make some ground for my polar bear”.  

Darcie – “I enjoyed the clay modelling. I made an Arctic Fox. I used white, grey and black when painting it”.  

Summer – “I enjoyed doing the activities for Children’s Mental Health Week. My favourite was the exercise routine with the sticks”.  

Lily-Rose – “I liked doing the exercise”.  

Ferne – “I liked doing the Red Riding Hood massage. It was nice and relaxing”. 

Alexander – “I liked talking about ‘Find Your Brave’. We watched some clips of disney films and had to think about how the character was being brave”.  

Cooper – “The Yoga was nice and relaxing”. 

Owen – “I liked maths”.  

Primary 4 

We have started a new topic in Health and Wellbeing called Respected. We are learning to become more aware of our own needs, views and feelings and to show respect for the needs, views and feelings of others. This week we identified and discussed a range of emotions, both positive and negative. We played an emotions board game with a partner and shared with them times that we have felt or experienced different emotions. For example, we talked about being proud, cross, scared and worried. 

The tinker table is proving very popular. This week the children have been developing their investigation skills while taking apart a laptop, CD player and extension cable! 

It was lovely to meet all the P4 families who attended parents evening this week. Thank you. 

Wider Achievement 

Libby took part in a gymnastic competition at DG1. 

Coby has learned a new football trick. 

Jayden is learning to swim backwards in the hydro pool. 

Reminders 

P.E kits required every Wednesday and Thursday.  

Class Twitter Feeds  

Our older classes are sharing their learning using Twitter feeds using the share hashtag #cdpsdg7   

Please have a look using the Twitter links. There is also a Twitter Feed bar on the right hand side of our School website menu for all our class tweets. 

Primary 4/5 – https://twitter.com/Mrs_Findlay 

Primary 5 – https://twitter.com/Mrs_McCulloch08 

Primary 5/6 –  https://twitter.com/56CDPS  

Primary 6 –  https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard?lang=en-gb  

Primary 6/7 – https://twitter.com/Mrs_Campbell50  

Primary 7 –  https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan