Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

Click on the Title to return to Home Page.

Our Weekly News – November 22nd

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community. 

We try our very best to upload a weekly post for each class but this is sometimes not always possible. Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week. 

Primary 1a and 1b 

This week we have been learning the sounds ‘d’ and ‘g’. We have been working hard at forming our letters correctly and starting in the correct place. We’ve also been trying to blend our sounds together independently to make CVC words eg. s a t = sat. We’re all very excited about being able to write more independently! 

After reading Night Monkey, Day Monkey, we did some wonderful writing about what it’s like at nighttime. We thought about what we might see in the dark and tried to use our sounds to help us spell in our writing. 

Alfie: The moon!
Sophie: Owls!
Marcel: Stars! 

In maths, we’ve finally met Tia Ten! We’re all very happy to have now met all the Ten Town characters! We’re still working hard on writing our numbers. Our verbal addition is going well too, with us thinking of lots of ways to add within 10.

We were very happy to receive our Bookbug Book Bags on Monday! Three free books to read at home! We hope you are enjoying sharing them together.

Finally, we’ve been hard at work for the upcoming Christmas Concert. We’ve been practising our songs in class and with our music teacher Mrs Teale, and we’re sounding great! More details to come soon! 

Reminders
Please remember to hand in CAPER folders on Thursdays! 

Primary 2

This week we have been learning about tiling in Maths and we have made some super patterns. Hannah thought it was fun to be tiling and using different colours. 

In Language we have been working hard in groups to learn our key words from our reading books. Ayla was pleased to recognise al her words. We have also been working on making sentences make sense! We were using capital letters and full stops. 

In French we have been talking about different kinds of weather and we can say if it is nice or snowing in French. Well done everyone! 

In topic work we made a weather wheel to help us recognise the different kinds of weather there are. Our wheel worked well and there were some super illustrations. 

Reminders
Look out for letter about our class concerts which will be on Tuesday 10th December at 2pm and 6pm. 

Primary 2/3 

This week we were very excited to receive our Book Week Scotland Bags and we enjoyed reading the stories together. 

Miley – “I liked when the cat got angry and it was funny”.
Eva -” I liked when they all laughed at the names”.
Cara –” I liked when they all had funny names”.  

In art we painted donkeys for the local church using water colours.
Dorota – “I liked using watercolours. We used white and black to make grey”.
Ollie – “I enjoyed the painting”. 

This week we focused on kindness during our Relax Kids session and our massage was a kindness cake massage.
Skye – “I liked when we were putting our cake in the oven”.
Lola – “I liked when we did the team work with the ball”. 

Reminders
Look out for letter about our class concerts which will be on Tuesday 10th December at 2pm and 6pm. 

Primary 3 

This week, we have continued our Ancient Egypt topic. We worked as a team to complete a STEM challenge, using different materials to create a pyramid. We used sticks, marshmallows, spaghetti, straws and blu tac.
We have been learning about Ancient Egyptian fashion and we enjoyed adding traditional dress and accessories to photographs of ourselves. They are on display for all to see! 

Oona – ‘We made a pyramid with connecting shapes’.
Nell – ‘I used marshmallows and spaghetti!’
Rory – ‘I enjoyed making myself into an Ancient Egyptian’. 

To celebrate Book Week Scotland, we visited Castle Douglas Library on Friday to enjoy a story-telling session. We were excited to bring home our Book Week Scotland book bags! 

Reminders
Please can homework diaries and reading books be brought to school every day. 

Primary 4 

This week P4 have been learning about probability. We have been using the words impossible, unlikely, even chance, likely and certain.   

“It is likely there will be a film on TV tonight”- Lewis.
“It is unlikely an elephant will go into space”- Kahlen.
We have also been sorting events according to likelihood using a probability scale. 

We are making Christmas artwork for the church. This year’s theme is the donkey. We coloured and cut out our donkey and painted clothes pegs for the legs. We added black hoof details using pen. They are 3D. 

We have been researching as part of our report writing using the internet. We have been taking notes and learning new facts to include in our writing. 

Primary 4/5 

P4/5 made smoothies to raise money this week. We sold a lot of smoothies, more than we thought we would. Fern enjoyed collecting everybody from their classrooms. Riley enjoyed making the smoothies. Ben enjoyed handing out the smoothies although it was a very busy time. 

Wider Achievement 

Lucca went to an athletics event in Glasgow and he won a running race.
Alex has learned the breast stroke in swimming at Castle Douglas pool.
Rhuben beat his dad in a running race! 

Primary 5 

Olivier – “I enjoyed researching for my report in big writing”.
Freya G -” I enjoyed doing research about the Scottish Parliament”.
Dylan “I enjoyed writing up the bean planting experiment”.
Kianna – “I liked using oil pastels to create a donkey picture”.
Oliver – “I enjoyed research for report writing”.
Lewis – “I liked making the donkey pictures”.
Ben – “I enjoyed going on Sumdog”. 

Wider Achievement
Freya and Emily Rose are playing super 5 football matches. This is a big change for the team as they now have a goalkeeper.
In football Alfie and Shea played against a team last Sunday. They played three matches and won every time.

Reminders
PE kit for Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Primary 5/6 

Please see the school Twitter feed for news about our Stirling Castle and Bannockburn Visit – Scroll Down the Tweets.

Primary 6 

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news  

https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard?lang=en-gb 

Primary 6/7 

We have had an informative and interesting time with our learning this week. 

In Maths we have been looking at symmetry, drawing mirror lines and reflecting 2D shape. We even ventured outside to draw around each other (see photos)
Mrs Carlyle has been continuing with chance and probability. 

In Literacy we have continued with our Christmas report, having chosen the country that we want to write about and completing research. We have also been focusing on Punctuation to work on our core writing skills. 

In our IDL topic we have moved onto WW2 and the children have been recalling their knowledge about the War and discussing their learning for this topic. We have been thinking about the role that Dumfries and Galloway played in the War too. 

In Science we are rounding off our Materials topic exploring dissolving. 

In French we have been practising our counting skills. 

After the excitement of Children in Need, the class helped put together shoeboxes for the Christmas Shoebox Appeal. 

We have been exploring pencil drawing with our Humble Donkey drawings that will be displayed in the Church nearer Christmas time. 

Mr Tyson has been showing us in IT how to put together a questionnaire on Microsoft Forms.
Amy – ‘’ I enjoyed learning about WW2 with Mr Tyson’’.
Jonathan – ‘’It was exciting and great fun doing cricket in PE!’’
Lotti – ‘’I loved doing the Air Raid drill!’’
Logan – ‘’ I liked creating my own quiz with Mr Tyson.’’
Cameron – ‘’ I enjoyed symmetry in Maths.’’ 

Wider Achievement
Amy has her Highland Dancing Exams next week.
Fraser did brilliantly with the Stewartry Sharks winning all their games at the Annan tournament. 

Primary 7 

Please see our Twitter feed  for our class news  

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan