Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

Click on the Title to return to Home Page.

Our Weekly News – November 15th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.

We try our very best to upload a weekly post for each class but this is sometimes not always possible. Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week.

Thank you to P6/7 for preparing our school Children in Need Activities. This included a very active assembly this morning!

Primary 1a and 1b 

This week our story was the Smartest Giant in Town and we have been talking about what being kind means,and looking at ways we can be kind towards each other, helping us to make good choices as we play and learn. This story has also helped us to practise recalling and sequencing information, as well as looking at rhyming words. 

Our new sounds were r and m this week. We made a road of rainbow ‘r’s to go with our houses from last week – you can see it in the corridor. 

We have been using all sorts of non-standard units to measure ourselves, discovered that we needed more beanbags than bats, because the bean bags were smaller and the bats were bigger. Miss Conacher was taller than Mrs Baird, and we needed to use more. We could count how many of each item we used. 

Nina Nine is a builder, and we enjoyed hearing about the houses she designs and builds in Ten Town. Nine is quite a lot to count but we are doing well!!!! 

Reminders
We have started CAPER this week. It will be every Thursday. Please only return books on Thursday for easiness. Thanks to all who are helping with this.  

Nature Garden- we do intend to use the Nature Garden each Friday, and the children all love going. It is, however, becoming colder, so they will need to wear layers, along with a hat, gloves, and warm socks if possible.  This will allow them the best possible experience. 

Open Evening is on Thursday 21st from 5.30-7pm. 

Book Fair Visits for both classes are on Tuesday 19th. Any children bringing money for a book will be taken by staff to choose one during the day.

Primary 2/3

Skye – I liked counting money and making it different ways.

Miley – I learned to count money up to different numbers.

Eva – I liked learning to make amounts with 6 coins.

Cara – I learned to make 16p with 3 coins.

We all enjoyed seeing Pudsey and loved the stickers he left for us. Thank you Pudsey!

Owen – I liked the pizza massage with Gayle.

Lola – I liked lying down at the end.

Zofia – I liked passing the secrets round the circle.

Ollie – I like the sleigh song.

Dorota – It has fun moves.

Kendyl – I like the elf song.

Primary 3/4 

Alexander – “I have enjoyed doing mathopoly. We were using our learning about money to play”  

Alba – “I enjoyed making our Pharoah headdresses. We made ourselves look like Ancient Egyptian Pharoahs”  

Rose -”I have liked making our posters. I made mine with Lily and Brooke P. We got to draw pictures, use the internet. Our topic was King Tut”.  

Darcie – “I enjoyed making the poster too. Our was about Ancient Egyptian cats which I enjoyed because I like cats. We made ours stand out by using black pen”.  

Brooke P. – “I enjoyed learning about Ancient Egypt. I liked making the headdress for the pharaoh. It was fun”.  

Jack – “Cleopatra got bitten by three asps”.  

Eamon – “I liked making our laws where we pretended we were a pharaoh. I also liked translating my name into hieroglyphics”.  

Gregor – “I liked writing my name in hieroglyphics”. 

Summer – “I have been learning about the ch sound. Chip has the ch sounds. Chocolate does too” 

Primary 4/5

Lucca – “This week we have been drawing donkeys to put up in the church at Christmas.”
Emma – “We had to smudge the oil pastels to blend in all the colours.”
Nikola – “We used different techniques to draw the donkey.”
Ruby – “We followed the steps off the board.”
Jake – “We folded the piece of paper into four squares.”
Blaine – “We then drew lines in each box that made up the shape of the donkey.”
Leah – “We drew the tuft of hair on top of the donkey and it looked like a crown.”

This week we have been lucky to have a smoothie bike in our classroom. This is a bike with a smoothie blender on the back.

Fraser – “Everybody had a go on the smoothie bike this week. We cycled and it made the blender start working.”
Riley – “The smoothies that we made were delicious.”
Lydia – “It took 4 or 5 people to blend one smoothie.”
Leigha – “I found it easy.”

Wider Achievement
Jake and Leo took part in a rugby tournament at the weekend. They won all of their matches. Well done!

Reminders
Thank you for donations for our smoothie bar so far. Any other donations of fresh, frozen or tinned fruit would be very much appreciated. These can be handed in on Wednesday 20th and Wednesday 27th November. Thank you.

Primary 5

We have had a busy week! We are starting our new topic “Local and National Government’. There are lots of aspects the class are keen to learn about.  

Callum – “I enjoyed seeing Pudsey”. 

Oliver – “I really enjoyed PE”. 

Shea – “ I enjoyed learning about politics and taking part PE”. 

Rylan – “ I found the maths interesting”. 

Keighla “I liked doing my maths”. 

Kianna – “ I enjoyed meeting Pudsey and watching the children in need assembly”. 

Kacie – “ I enjoyed symmetrical art”. 

Elle – “I enjoyed cutting and gluing in maths this week”. 

Murray – “I am getting better at hitting the ball to the back wall in cricket”. 

Wider Achievement  

Gregor achieved a red belt in Judo, Sam achieved an orange belt.
Alfie, Shea and Rylan competed in a football competition in Dumfries.
Isla McF took part in a tennis tournament in Dumfries.
Emily Rose and Freya G took part in a football festival in Kirkcudbright. Their team played six matches, winning two and drew in another.
Saffron is learning to play the piano and is improving all the time.
Well done everyone!! 

Reminders
PE kit on Tuesday and Friday next week.
Do we have any green fingered parents willing to help us with planting bulbs next week? If so please get in touch.

Primary 6

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news

https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard?lang=en-gb

Primary 6/7

This week has gone in a flash with all the Children in Need preparations in full swing. We have had so much fun getting organized. 

Everybody in the class played their part in the assembly as well as helping create baking delights, practicing songs, creating Pudsey artwork and learning a lot about the wonderful work of Children in Need. The assembly went off brilliantly this morning with everyone enjoying themselves especially with our Fun Fitness sessions. The whole school and nursery and staff up on their feet moving! 

Thank you to everyone for all their help with donations for the Baking and Bring and Buy. We had a fantastic time. 

We thought about Remembrance Day on the 11th November and observed a minute silence in class. – well done to the boys and girls that took part in the Remembrance Service in Castle Douglas. 

In Big Writing we are carrying on with Report Writing -. We have also been working on our core writing skills looking at punctuation. 

In Maths we have been looking at points of the compass, angles and coordinates.  

Isla D – ‘’Making Pudseys for Children in Need!’’ 
Blair – ‘’ I have enjoyed learning the song A Million Dreams.’’
Cian – ‘’ I have completed comprehension cards and am getting really good at them!’’
Oscar – ‘’ I have learnt so much about the work of Children in Need.’’ 

Curtis – ‘’ I enjoyed learning some Spanish.’’ 

Primary 7

Please see our Twitter feed  for our class news

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan