Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

Click on the Title to return to Home Page.

Our Weekly News – November 1st

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community. 

  Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week. 

School News – Welcome back to the new term. 

Spare Outdoor Clothing Request for all ages. As you will be aware outdoor learning is a valued part of our school curriculum. There are sometimes occasions when a child may forget a coat or wellies and it would be helpful to have stock in school. If you have any coats, overtrousers or wellingtons that your child has outgrown and no longer needed then we would be pleased to have them in school. 

Morning Wet Weather Arrangements. 

If the weather is very poor before school then pupils may enter the school using the main entrance from 8:45am. There will be a rain cloud symbol in both the School Office and Mr Tyson’s room windows to help remind pupils. To avoid congestion and keep our fire escape routes clear parents are asked to drop their child at the main door. Primary 7 pupils will be on hand to help younger pupils to their class if needed.   

Primary 1a and 1b 

We have settled back well to our new term and have been doing lots of Hallowe’en activities, including music, dancing, games, painting and carving pumpkins. We had a fabulous visit from Aiken Drum for a spooky story telling and singing session! 

This week we have learned a new sound – c which is special as it can also be written as k or ck- we are getting really good at finding words starting with our sounds,and are even beginning to blend our sounds together to make new words. P1b made cats by cutting and could all make and write the word cat beside our pictures! In the Nature Garden we will be making spells in our cauldrons! 

This week also saw us finding out about Seal Six and Sir Seven which has been very exciting. We enjoy finding out about all their adventures- Seal Six loves eating fish, and Sir Seven has seven teddies he takes to bed with him! When we use our fingers to count we can remember that 5 is always our whole hand and this will help us learn to count on to make our bigger numbers.  

Our topic this term is based around the stories of Julia Donaldson, so this week has been Room on the Broom, and we’ve done some great writing about who we would take on our brooms! We will be moving on to Everywhere Bear next week. Look out for some exciting homework!! 

Wider Achievement
Some of the children are very busy practising for their ballet show at the weekend! Good luck to them! 

Reminders
Nature Garden will continue every Friday for all P1 children. Please make sure they have suitable warm clothing under their waterproofs/ puddlesuits now the weather is colder. We have a number of sets of waterproof trousers to borrow in class. 

Please make sure any outstanding Lunch choice lists for this term are returned asap. 

Primary 2 

We have settled back into routine this week and we have been learning about shape and colour patterns. We are really working hard to make a pattern containing three colours. We made some super scarves with lots of lovely patterns.  

Our topic this term is the weather and we have been listening to Mrs Jolly’s Brolly. We were putting the story in order and then we wrote a sentence about each part. We drew some great pictures to match the story. Well done everyone.  

We also have been taking part in activities related to Halloween this week.  

Reminders
Outdoor Learning will continue this term. Please bring appropriate clothing. 

Primary 2/3 

We started to work with Gayle from Relax kids this week and will be doing this for the next 5 weeks.
Skye – I liked doing relax kids. I liked doing stretches and playing games.
Dorota – I liked doing the massage.
Benjamin – I liked doing the massage. I liked the warming hands one.
Miley – I liked the squeezing shoulders one.
Ollie – I liked the Hero and Villain game.
Olivia – I liked working with a partner.
Hannah – I liked the stretches and massage.  

We have been learning to read and plot grid references this week.
Cara – I made an alien head with grid references 

We also did some Halloween art.
Kendyl – I liked printing the spiderweb. I liked that mine came out as a shape. 

Reminders
Outdoor learning will continue every Friday for P2/3 children. Please make sure they have suitable clothing and footwear now the weather is colder and wetter! 

Primary 3  

We have had a busy first week back to school after our October holidays.
Our activities have had a ‘spooky’ twist this week to tie in with Halloween and on Thursday, the costumes were fantastic! 

Abbie – ‘I liked spooky adding!’
Emma – ‘The Halloween tray has a witches hat, orange cobwebs and eyeballs!’
We used Halloween pasta shapes to make our ‘spell’-ing words and we read the story of ‘Christopher Pumpkin’.
Caitlyn – ‘The pumpkin was nice instead of scary!’ 

In Art, we have been exploring different shades of colour and we used a variety of line styles and orange materials to create our pumpkins. 

In Maths, we have been exploring Probability and Chance. We have been discussing the likelihood of certain events occurring and using the language of probability to talk about our ideas.   

Primary 3/4 

Jack – “I liked playing with the marble run and dressing up in my costume for Halloween. I also liked writing about my spooky castle”.
Darcie – “I enjoyed learning about the Day of the Dead and creating the skull artwork. I also liked making my haunted house picture and writing a description about it”.
Brooke P. – “I liked making the Day of the Dead skulls because we used lots of bright colours”.
Rose – “I enjoyed seeing everyone’s different costumes yesterday and playing with the playdough. I also loved playing with my friends”.
Alba – “I liked getting a sticker after my flu vaccine”.
Geroge – “I liked learning about the Day of the Dead”.
Ferne – “I enjoyed doing the Day of the Dead artwork”.
Alexander – “I liked doing the haunted house pictures”.
Kyle – “I enjoyed dressing up yesterday”.
Rory – “I liked learning about column addition in maths”.  

Primary 4

Welcome back P4. This week we have been describing, plotting and using two figure grid references as well as using the words horizontal and vertical. We had fun using the compass points to help locate things on our maps.  

In art we made clay pumpkins for the pumpkin patch by modelling the clay into a ball. We then used clay tools to create lines and a stalk. Once the clay was dry, we painted them orange and added green and brown detailing for the stalk. We think they look very realistic! Check out our picture.  

In P.E we started hockey and have been learning how to hold the stick correctly and how to dribble the ball with control.

Wider Achievement
Anya, Kaidi, Cara, Amber, Nicole and Kahlen achieved their baking badge at Brownies on Tuesday. They baked spooky spider biscuits and cupcakes. They were very tasty! 

Reminders
This term P.E will be on Wednesday and Friday. Please remember your shoes and a full change of clothes. If you wish, your P.E kit can be left in school at the beginning of the week. 

Primary 4/5 

This week in P4/5 we have started our new topic called ‘Healthy Me’. We have been looking at food, nutrition and how we can make healthy choices by using food labels to help us. We have also decided to make and sell some healthy fruity snacks as part of a mini enterprise: 

Leah – I came up with the name for our business – ‘Super Fruity Snack Shack’. We learned what the features of a good persuasive poster are and then designed our own to advertise our business.  

In maths we have been learning about chance and probability. 

Nikola – I’ve enjoyed learning about the language of probability – impossible, unlikely, likely and certain. 

On Thursday we had a Halloween afternoon of fun. 
Lucca – I enjoyed learning about silhouettes in our spooky Halloween art. 

Primary 5 

Welcome back Primary 5! 

Our first week has flown by! We have been busy in class, In literacy we have written acrostic poems, in Maths we’ve been recapping on time tables, and have been solving estimating activities. 

Anna – “I enjoyed doing Halloween activities, I made a skull and a vampire cat”.
Lewis – “I enjoyed drawing a haunted house in art”.
Isla McF – “The Halloween mindfulness sheets were good fun”.
Murray – “I liked painting a haunted house”.
Callum – “In PE we were playing 3 bat cricket, I fam feeling more and more confident in my batting”.
Kianna – “I enjoyed playing toilet tig as a warm up game yesterday”. 

Wider Achievement
Isla McF competed in a tennis tournament in Annan last weekend. Isla and her brother Eamon played doubles, winning both of their matches! They were overall winners! Fantastic! 

Lexi and Kacie are taking part in a Ballet show over the next three nights at the Fullerton Theatre. They are performing tap, ballet and Jazz. Good luck girls!  

Anna has been very helpful whilst staying at her granny’s house, well done Anna!  

Holly travelled all the way to Perth to take part in a gymnastics competition. It was an exciting day, Holly was leading the way in some rounds and finished in 7th place. This is a great achievement, well done Holly! 

Primary 5/6

This week we launched more of our Save the Rainforest campaign. Pupils delivered posters and leaflets to a local business of their choice on how they could help to save the Rainforest. The pupils spoke to members of the local community on steps they could take in helping to save the rainforest and enjoyed developing their Talking and Listening skills.  

Alper “ I liked our walk as it made me better at speaking to people in the community and I liked that we were helping the Amazon Rainforest as well” 

Mckenzie S “ WFC Pet said I was a very confident speaker and I had lovely manners that made me feel good about myself” 

This week we have been learning all about deforestation and the reasons that people cut down the rainforest. We are looking forward to sharing all our learning with you at our assembly next Wednesday 6.11.19 at 9.30am.  

A massive thank you to all our parent helpers and local businesses’ who have supported our campaign so far, we raised £344 at our Movie night so thank you to everyone who attended. The Castle Douglas Rotary club made a very generous donation to our campaign taking our total up to £500.  

Reminders 
Outdoor natural materials homework for Monday 4.11.19
Class Assembly 9.30am Wednesday 6.11.19  

Primary 6 

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news  

https://twitter.com/mr_coulthard?lang=en-gb 

Primary 6/7 

This week has whizzed by in a flash! All refreshed and ready for learning after our holidays.
In Maths we have made a start on Angles, Bearings and Transformation.  

In Writing we have been looking at Report writing. 

The class did a fantastic job presenting their posters talking about WW2 in particular the Battle of Britain. We have enjoyed learning about the experiences of fighter pilots in the war particularly about Grandpa in Grandpa’s Great Escape. We have also learnt about the importance of Remembrance and why the poppy is such an important symbol.  

We are finishing learning about States of Matter in Science and will be moving on to Body Systems shortly, this will include looking after our bodies. 

The cricket in PE this week has been very exciting with all children developing amazing skills bowling, batting and fielding. 

We are also working towards our Assembly for Children in Need and have been creating posters, creating artwork, enjoying singing and learning about the very important work Children in Need does.  

Rudy – ‘’ I have enjoyed working with angles in Maths.’’
Cameron – ‘’ I liked doing activities for Children in Need.’’
Jonathon – ‘’ I liked cricket in PE! It was good fun!’’
Kacey – ‘’ I liked writing scary stories for Hallowe’en.’’
Jazmin – ‘’ I enjoyed making the poppies for our Remembrance display.’’
Charlotte – ‘’ I enjoyed creating an acrostic poem for Hallowe’en.’’ 

Reminders
Remember PE kits on a Monday and Wednesday please. 

Primary 7  

Please see our Twitter feed  for our class news  

https://twitter.com/P7andMrwhan