Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Our Weekly News – June 7th

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.

School News

Families are asked to look out for End of Year reports coming home today via pupil post which summarise pupil achievements and attainment over the 2018-19 session. There is also an Opening Evening on Thursday 13th from 5:30 – 7pm for families to come along and for pupils to share more of their class work.

Sport morning is now planned for Thursday 13th, 10am start, should finish by 12:30pm followed by a Big Picnic on the sports field. A text will be sent out early next week for any packed lunch orders.

Next week is also our Sponsored 20/20 Activity Week with classes doing a wide range of activities over the week. This is our main fundraising event for the year and community support is very much appreciated.

Class News

Primary 1a

Poppy: “We met Barnaby bear and he’s friends with Ben and Ted!”  
This week we heard from another bear called Barnaby! He had been on a big adventure.  
Ethan: “He was going to France. He went on a boat.”  
We worked on retelling his story in our writing. We were super independent writers and lots of us wrote more than one sentence! Well done! 

For our maths this week, we learned about different types of clock.  
Hannah: “We learned about digital clocks.” 
Ayla: “We did o’clock times.”  
We’re getting very good at telling the time and using the clocks around us. 

We also looked at the information we gathered on our traffic survey. 
Murry: “We went to the park to see the traffic. The sheet told us how much lorries, cars and tractors.” 
We counted all our tally marks and then made bar charts to show our information. 

We started a mini art project on artists from around the world. We looked at a very famous artist and tried to make our own versions of his work.  
Lexi: “He was called Vincent Van Gogh.” 
Darla: “We made a sunflower.” 

We’ve also been enjoying using our balcony during play.   
Riley: “I liked it when Mrs Sharpe brought the orange bike in.” – thank you! 

Reminders 
*Junk Modelling Morning on Tues (11th) at 9-10:30. Please return the slip to help us know how many people will be attending and organise the event accordingly. Any extra junk that could be collected and brought in would be greatly appreciated!  
*Open Evening on Thurs (13th)  – feel free to come along and see your child’s work. 

Primary 1b 

Zach: “I like playing with Flynn.” 
Elliot: “Me and Kai outside, Angus in Primary 2, we were playing tennis.” 
Kai: “Me and Elliot like playing football.” 
Brodie: “I like playing police with Charlie and Owen.” 
Ziya: “I like playing with Elliot, Kai, William, Angus, Brodie, everybody.” 
Max: “I like playing on the bikes.” 

We used the information we collected in our traffic survey to make bar charts. We counted the tally marks and worked with our partner to count out the correct amount of objects for each type of transport. 
We looked at Vincent Van Gogh’s painting of the sunflowers and were inspired to become artists ourselves and create our own sunflower pictures. We talked about the colours and parts of the flowers and using oil pastels or chalk, worked independently as artists. We look forward to showing you our artwork at the open evening or after school.   
Ellie: “I liked the picture, it had bright colours.” 
Beth: “I like making my sunflower.” 
Charlotte: “I like making my sunflower and mine is the brightest.”  
We have planted our own sunflowers and are looking forward to watching them grow.

Conall: “I like playing football with Eddie and Kai and Zane and Joshua and Hannah and Angus and William and Max and Beth and Charlotte and Mya and Flynn and Ellie and Archie and Jacob.” 

Wider Achievement  
Mya: “I like going to ballet with Beth and Charlotte.” 

Reminders  
*We are really looking forward to the junk modelling morning on Tuesday 11th June 9am – 10:30. Please return the reply slip if you haven’t already. Keep collecting junk! If you could drop it off on Monday that would be great.   
*Open Evening – Thursday 13th June 5:30-7pm.

Primary 2 

We have been learning about floating and sinking. 
Evie says we were predicting what would happen. 
Eilidh says we were using the words certain, never, likely and unlikely to describe what we were doing. 
Nell remembered we were learning about not leaving rubbish on the beach in case animals eat it or get trapped. 
Fern said we were learning about holidays today and in the past at the seaside. 
Cara we found out they didn’t have picnics in the olden days as there was no plastic. 

Robyn and Oona  learned how the grown ups were pulled out to the sea in a bathing machine.
Today P2 are going to the beach at Rockcliffe – look for some photographs next week 🙂

Wider Achievement 
Fern and Cara moved up a level  in swimming. 

Primary 2/3

Lily S – We made turtles. We drew them with oil pastels and put patterns on them.
In music,
Lewis – We have been practising our echoes.
Alexander – Some of us have started sports club.
Zoe – The best part was lots of different races.
Alba – My favourite part was the wheelbarrow race.

This week we have been investigating floating and sinking.
Cooper – I enjoyed testing stuff in the water.
Eamon – We estimated if they were likely or unlikely to float.

We have been researching sea creatures to create our own posters in a group.
Alex – Me and Cameron were making a poster about turtles.
George – My group were doing a poster about an octopus, we used a book to get information.
Jack K – An octopus eats small sharks, sea snails, crabs and fish.
Maisy – My group learned about whales and where they live and what they eat. Blue whales live in icy waters.
Darcie – Me and Abbie found out dolphins can spin 7 times when they jump in the air.

Reminders
Our music afternoon is on Wednesday 12th at 2pm in the hall.

Primary 3

This week, as part of our ‘Seven Natural Wonders of the World’ topic, we have been learning about the Grand Canyon. Mr Cormack has visited the Grand Canyon and he was able to tell us his first-hand experience of visiting this natural wonder.
In groups, we carried out an experiment to investigate different types of erosion and the impact that this has on the rock at the Grand Canyon.
We also used watercolour paints to create our own Grand Canyon masterpieces using a variety of colours and blending techniques.

In ICT, we are creating a Powerpoint about the natural wonders. We are learning to insert new slides and images and we are using bullet points to input the facts that we are learning.

Reminders
Wednesday 12th – Farm Trip – please return permission slips and send extra shoes and a plastic bag for dirty wellies (please see information sheet sent home.)
Thursday 13th – Sports Morning.
Friday 14th – Assembly at 9.15am in the School Hall – all welcome!
Children can wear summer clothes to school on this day, no uniform required.

Primary 4

As part of our Body Topic, we were visited by Lisa from Quit Your Way. She helped us learn more about the effects of tobacco on the body. We have been learning about the lungs and what can happen to the body as a result of smoking tobacco.
Riley and Kacie were scientists and helped put together some of the 4000 dangerous chemicals that are contained in a cigarette. Things like…
“Nicotine, it goes to your brain and makes you become addicted” Leo.
“Tar, it’s black, gooey and sticky. It looked like syrup” Alfie.
“Rat poison, I was really surprised” Blaine.
“Nail polish remover” Saffron.
“Bleach, vinegar and batteries” Amelia.
“There are 4000 different chemicals in a cigarette” Ben W.
Lisa had a sponge which we pretended was a healthy lung. She poured water over it (as if it was oxygen) and Kacie squeezed all the water out. Lisa then put tar on the sponge and Riley couldn’t squeeze any of the tar out, the lung had turned black and wasn’t bouncing back again.
“It was disgusting” Riley and Kacie.

In grammar we learned about onomatopoeia with Miss Wilson.
“Onomatopoeia’s make writing interesting and lively” Fraser.
“Bang, boom, pow and smash are all examples” Becky.
“You made small books of words with pictures to bring them to life” Isla McC.

Wider Achievement

Alfie, Callum, Rylan, Ben W, Leo and Emily-Rose all played for Threave or Saints. It was the Heston Rovers football tournament. We all got a trophy for taking part.

Reminders
20/20 sponsored selfie challenge on Monday 10th.
Please bring outdoor shoes and a packed lunch for sports day on Thursday 13th.
P.E kits needed on Monday and Thursday for two weeks.

Primary 5

Jack “We have been learning the difference between a proper noun and a common noun.”
Sebastian “A proper noun is a name, place or important event such as ‘Queen Elizabeth’ or ‘Eiffel Tower’ or ‘Christmas’.”
Alper “A common noun is a noun used often to describe a place, person or object without it being the actual name such as ‘teacher’ or ‘dog’.”
Harrison “We have been learning some new connectives such as ‘before’ and ‘until’.”
Cullen “We have been using connectives like ‘nevertheless’ and ‘in order to’.”

Kerys “We have been measuring objects using centimetres and milimetres.”
Emma “Some people did milimetre line segments.”
Emma “We also learned about 3 digit multiplication by 7.”

Health and Wellbeing
Barney “We went to the gym hall to practice for sports day and used the changing rooms.”

Art
Olivia “We were learning how to draw Father’s Day cards with Mrs. Starkey.

Topic
Shannon “We have been making electricity posters about what we have learned in our topic so far. Most of us did the dangers of electricity.”

Show Club
Lucy “A few members of the class were in Mary Poppins.”
Yvie “It was really successful.”
Erin “It was so fun doing Mary Poppins and it was an amazing experience being a main character.”

Wider Achievement
Eilidh achieved a yellow belt in karate and went on a two night Brownie residential trip to Yorkshire.
Alper went to Kirkcudbright to do a fun race and won a medal.
Olivia baked a cake for her dad all by herself for his birthday.
Josh got a season 9 umbrella on fortnite.

Reminders
We have our trip to Tongland Powerstation on Tuesday 25th June. Please can children bring in their permission slips by 17th June. Parent helpers welcome, please message Miss Mackintosh on ClassDojo if you are interested in joining us.

Primary 5/6

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news

Primary 6

In reading comprehension this week, we have been looking at D-Day and how the attack took place. We read through a passage detailing the event before answering questions on the text. We then looked at the medal that the British soldiers were awarded and created our own medals using the same features.
Carlie – “I enjoyed designing a D-Day victory medal.”
Michalina – “I enjoyed learning about D-Day in our reading comprehension.”

Maths
In maths this week, we have been looking at time. More specifically being able to read bus and train timetables to answer questions and calculate duration.
Lexie – “I enjoyed learning to read train timetables in maths.”
Michalina – “I enjoyed reading train and bus timetables to answer questions.”

Mary Poppins
Seven members of the Primary 6 class have been performing in Mary Poppins all week. They have been showcasing their talent with 3 performances throughout the week. Well done Seren, Logan, Teigan, Carlie, Tommy, Lacey and Eilidh!

Tommy – “I have enjoyed being in Mary Poppins.”
Seren – “I enjoyed the atmosphere of Mary Poppins.”
Logan – “I enjoyed being a part of Mary Poppins.”
Eilidh – “I enjoyed learning all my lines for the show.”
Teigan – “I enjoyed everything about Mary Poppins.”

Reminders
Sports morning is on Thursday 13th of June. The Children will require a packed lunch for the day.
We will be completing our 20/20 sponsor challenge next week. Please can you remember to get your sponsor forms filled in and any sponsors to the school.
Open Evening is on Thursday 13th of June.

Primary 6/7

Lexie White ” We have been presenting our solo talks this week.”
Kalim ” We have been learning about Living and Growing in Health and Wellbeing.”
Noah “I enjoyed my solo talk about my Gravity Racer. I have made this for the Soap Box Derby.”
Aillie ” In maths we have been learning about bar graphs, line graphs and pie charts.”
Miriam ” I enjoyed researching for my solo talk about Marvel Comics and Movies.”
Abbie ” I enjoyed presenting my solo talk and playing my guitar to the class.”
Holly ” We have finished our last show of Mary Poppins.”

Reminders
P7 trip to Mabie Farm on Tuesday.
P7 2nd Watersports Group on Wednesday.
Proposed Sports Morning on Thursday.
Induction Days at CDHS 19th, 20th, 21st June.

Primary 7

We are proud because we got our Accelerated Reader Target this week. – Jack, Elise, Sam and Sophie.

This week we have been doing our Mary Poppins shows. It has been really hard work but it has helped us to become more confident. – Mia.
We have been learning about a balanced diet. We made posters to give advice to 7-11 year olds to eat better. – Isla A.
For Superscot this week we did the fitness activities. I did really well.- Sophie.
In big writing, I am happy that I finished my story and I think it is quite good. – Jayden.
It was cool to see the photoshopping when we learned about body Image this week.- Rory L.

Wider Achievement
On Thursday I passed my grading in Karate and now I am a Brown belt. – Rory T.
We did really well on the 4th week of the Paul Jones Football Competition in Dalbeattie. We won all of our games. We are excited for the final on Saturday in Kirkcudbright. – Sam.

Reminders
Show club members party Mon 10th June (3.00-4.30pm)
Mabie Farm trip Tues 11th June.
Watersports group 2 Wed 12th June.
Induction days Wed 19th – Fri 21st June.
Leavers’ Events letters and money due in.