Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Our Weekly News – May 3rd

Our Weekly School News – Sharing our learning with the School Community.

School News

Drama Club
Tickets for the Drama Club’s production of Mary Poppins Jr are now on sale from the school office. Tickets are being sold on a first come, first served basis. Due to the May Day holiday, Show Club will be held on Tuesday of next week instead.  

Nursery and School Inspection
Next week we will be welcoming an Education Scotland and Care Inspectorate Inspection Team to our school. The focus of the Inspection will be on learning and teaching and how well our learners are attaining and achieving.

We are looking forward to working with the Inspection Team and sharing aspects of what we do in our Nursery (ELC) and School. A report will be published a few weeks after the Inspection which will be shared with the school community.

Camera Bird Box
The sparrow family has nested in the camera bird box again this year. No young sparrows yet but we’re watching the TV screen every day to hopefully see some very soon.

Please have a read and a chat about what some of our classes have been up to this week.

Primary 1a

This week we have been building a boat for our role play area! It’s been very hard work and we’ve put lots of exciting things inside it.
Ethan: “We’ve made a seaside with sand and boats and rocks.”
Charlie: “We’ve got float and sink stuff to see if things float or sink.”
Darla: “We’ve got a telescope and a compass!”

We’ve also been reading another Oliver Jeffers book. This one is called ‘How to Catch a Star’.
Lexi: “The boy was trying to catch a star. He was climbing and trying to jump.”
Abby and Skye: “He comes up by the sea … it was a reflection… and he makes a friend with the star.”
We were being illustrators and authors by writing our own ways of catching stars and drawing pictures to match. We used black pen and colour, just like Oliver Jeffers does.

Miley: “We made rockets out of string and balloons. We blew the balloon and tried to get it to the other side.” It took us a couple of tries but it eventually worked! We’ve left it out in our boat to try it ourselves for the rest of the week.

Reminders
Storytime session on Tues 7th of May at 2:40pm. All families welcome!

Primary 1b

In boat related news…..! We had great fun testing to see if they would float. All but one floated – Charlotte “The water was getting in so it sank.”

Beth: “We been doing our pluses and adding and counting to 20.”
Hannah: “I done a full stop and I wrote my name.”
Mya: “We been learning to brush our teeth for 2 minutes.”
Ziya: “I liked playing outside – we played hide and go seek.”
Joshua: “I liked playing with Zane and Zach and football with Conall.”
Ellie: “We been reading How to Catch a Star.”
Brodie: “I like writing stuff and playing zoos with Eddie.”
William: “I like playing Brodie, Max too with jigsaws.”
Tiffany: “10 + 10 is 20.”
Zane: “I liked watching with P1a, Lost and Found movie. They were friends at the end.”
Eddie: “Me, Conall and Kai were playing football on the field and having races.”

Joshua is taking Ben the bear home this weekend – have fun Ben and Joshua!

Wider Achievement
Tiffany: “I can ride a big horse without the saddle.”
Willow: “When I was at my Granny’s, I rode Wolf the horse without a saddle.”
Eryithsayai: “I’m proud of myself because I can do a forward roll on the trampoline and backward roll.”

Reminders

Primary 2

This week we have been exploring different ways to sort living and non living items. We looked at lots of objects and in small groups we decided that living things are different from non living things.  Leigha said “All living things grow.”
Jorja thought, “All living things must eat.”
Miya-Lilly thought, “All living things have babies”
Robyn said “All living things moved.”

We have also created some fantastic new kinds of fish. We had to listen carefully to the instructions to make them. Indie really liked doing this.

Wider Achievement

Floyd has moved to grade 2 at Threave Rovers

Primary 2/3

This week we made sandwiches after we had chosen which fillings we wanted. Once we had made them most of us enjoyed eating them. We then went on to write instructions for how to make a sandwich. Now we are trying to think of things to put in a sandwich to scare away the seagulls like the ones in The Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch.
Darcie – a feather sandwich.
Eamon – a metal sandwich.
Zane – a fake sandwich.

Alex thinks we just shouldn’t put any sandwiches in the basket!

We did some work on patterns and made up some with sounds and actions which we used as a warm down in PE.

In maths some children have started to work on multiplication and we are learning to use an array to help us with the sums.

Abbie – “I used my knowledge to help me do the counting.”

We were learning how to do marbling with shave foam and food colouring. It was easy, messy and great fun.
Alba – “It was quite fun because you could push and make patterns. “
Brooke L – “We looked at and drew shells.”
We had a lot of fun using the magnifying glasses to look closely at the shells.

Wider Achievement
Darcie is very proud that she ‘has achieved going on the bars at gymnastics because I was very scared of it.’

Reminders
As it is a holiday on Monday homework will be given out on Tuesday to be returned by Friday, thank you.

Primary 3

Our favourite activities this week;

Noah – ‘I liked using the little clocks to show o’clock and half past’.

Struan – ‘In PE, we were playing a throwing game. We were trying to improve our throw. ‘Improve’ means to make it better.’

Cara – ‘The French Café is great. I like being the waitress. I can use some of the French words for food and drink.’

Lewis – ‘We wrote about our favourite food. I was successful because I used a connective’.

This week, as part of our Food Glorious Food topic, we have been learning about traditional foods from other countries. We used our new knowledge to create an interactive flag with ‘lift the flap’ information.

Alexander – ‘Sushi is from Japan. It is made from raw fish and rice wrapped up. I made sushi at a club but I didn’t want to try it!’.

Eli R – ‘Curry is spicy. It is from India.’

We are enjoying adding our work and comments onto the ‘Our Learning Journey’ display in our classroom to see how we are progressing through our Food Glorious Food topic.

Wider Achievement

Milly has learned to do the Flora at Highland Dancing – well done!

Primary 3/4

Alex – “I enjoyed making a cow picture yesterday in art. I liked it because we got to pick what materials we used. We could pick water colours, chalk, oil pastels or crayons”.

Fern – “I enjoyed playing rounders in PE this week. I like being a batter because I think I am good at batting the ball.”

Devlin – “I liked PE this week”

Kaidi – “I liked making the cow picture because art is my favourite thing to do”

Max – “I enjoyed making chocolate crispies”

Leah – “This week in topic we learned about the different types of farms in Scotland”

Cameron – “You can get a dairy farm. It has cows to give us milk”

Anna – “There’s poultry farms. This is where chickens are to give us eggs”.

Caitlin – “There is a sheep farm and they give us meat and wool”

Coby – “I learned that there are not many pig farms in Scotland”.

Primary 4

Our top 3 favourite things this week:

“I enjoyed making a Skeleton out of art straws during topic. My skeleton is running and cheering. Your skeleton protects the organs and supports the body” Amelia.

“My favourite thing this week was P.E, we played a throwing game with a partner and if the ball touched the floor you won a point. We have been learning to move to the ball in volleyball” Alfie.

“We have been working on am and pm in maths, am is before 12 noon and pm is after 12 noon. At 4.00pm I would be reading at 4.00am I would be sleeping”. Emily-Rose

Wider Achievement
Isla McF won a bronze medal at her gymnastics competition in Edinburgh for teams.
Leo won a medal at the Stewartry rugby festival. He won 2 games, lost 1 game and drew 1 game.
Lexi and Kacie both passed their ballet exam! They are now grade 2.

Primary 4/5

This week we have been busy bringing the Titanic back to life. We all worked collaboratively, to plan, design and create different parts of the ship.

Darragh – We were working in groups to design and make the different areas of the Titanic.
Lily – It was good fun making all the windows.
Ollie – It was hard work recreating the sea but we all worked together as a team.
Callum – We designed each part and thought about the materials we were going to use for the funnels.

In writing setting this week we have started a new block, learning about how to write instructions and procedures.
Alexander – “We looked at the main parts of instructions and looked at examples of how they are laid out.”
Coll – “You need to include a section on ‘what you will need’ and also ‘what you have to do’.”
Chloe – “You need to put the instructions into the correct order.”

In maths we have been learning different strategies to work out multiplication problems.
Freya – “We have been playing games to practise our times tables.”
Jesse-Leigh – “We were thinking about the tools we can use to help us such as fingers, our heads, and cubes.”
Maxi – “I now know what an array is.”
Ollie – “Multiplication is repeated addition.”
Alannah – “We can share and divide to help us work out a multiplication problem.”

Wider Achievement
Callum, Alexander and Maxi learned how to build birdhouses using different tools, at Cubs.

Primary 5
Yvie “We did science experiments and we saw how the electrons were working.”
Max “We learned that most objects are neutral.”
Alper “When another object rubs against the balloon the electrons will move and the object will become negatively charged and the balloon will be positively charged and that means they will be attracted to each other.”
Skye “The water moved away when the rod went near the tap because it repelled. When the rod went near the paper they stuck together because they were attracted to each other.”
Lacey “These are examples of static electricity.”
Erin “We were learning to understand how objects can be negatively and positively charged.”

Anna “We started maths and learned about brackets.”
Kerys “Brackets are the first sum that you have to do and then you work out the rest.”

Lucy “We studied internet safety by creating word cloud art based on research we did online about staying safe online”
Wider Achievement
Emma “I was scared to go on the big beam at gymnastics but then I went on it.”
Olivia “I passed all my levels at swimming.”
Ruby “Me and Skye’s team at gymnastics won 5th place in a competition.”
Freya “On Tuesday I made a lentil dahl which is kind of like soup.”
Rebecca “I went to a gymnastics competition I won 3rd for floor, 3rd for team and 5th for overall.”
Erin “I started performing in the Railway Children yesterday. I play Lizzy Perks.”
Cody “I’m going to be starting carpet bowling.”
Yvie “I’ve started riding a new pony and she’s new and she’s quite nervous but I managed to stay on.”
Alper “I can do 7 pull ups.”
Georgia “I did a ballroom dancing competition. My team came first!”
Niamh “I’ve started going boxing.”
Anna “In gymnastics and the bar is higher than the old one and I can do a backwards circle up and a straddle shoot.”
Lucy “I can hang upside down on the climbing frame in the garden.”

Reminders

Have a great May Day Monday holiday.

Primary 5/6

Please see our Twitter feed for our class news

Primary 6

Europe

We have carried on with our Europe topic this week. In pairs we have researched our chosen European country and created a poster on it. This information is also being used to create a power point so that we can share our findings with the class. Here are some of the things that we have enjoyed:

“I enjoyed drawing French monuments for my poster.” – Seren
“I enjoyed researching different countries in Europe.” – Teigan
“I found out that the Pope lives in Rome.” – Cian

Jack is looking forward to finding out about Brexit whilst Tommy is looking forward to finding out more about different countries and monuments.
PE
This week, we have enjoyed warm up games of Octopus. We have included some photos of the fun below! We have also started lacrosse in PE. We have been practising control, underarm passing and shooting into the goal.

“I enjoyed using he lacrosse stick and team work to try to pass the ball.” – Eilidh
“It was really fun, I learned new things.” – Michalina
“We made an amazing throw and catch in PE. Mrs Potts was very impressed” – Tomas and Jamie

Music

We have been working on our listening in Music. We have been singing and dancing to French songs as well as playing the tin whistle. Lacey and Cian really enjoyed this.

Class Dojo
Our class dojo reward system is up and running. We have chosen both individual rewards and whole class rewards for when we hit set milestones. We are powering through and are more than half way to our first whole class award of 1500 when we will get extra golden time!

Well done to Tommy – our first ‘Dojo of the Week’ in P6!

Wider Achievement
Seren participated in a gymnastics competition in Edinburgh and won a rosette for her team.
Lacey and Emily moved up a gymnastics class.
Megan, Ellie and Lois passed their grade 2 ballet exam.
Eilidh can now do a backwards roll in the pool.

Primary 6/7

Brooke “ We have been playing clapping games about syllables.”

Lucas “We have been learning to tell the time to o’clock and half past.”

Mya “We completed our posters about the different roles undertaken in WW2.”

Harris “I learned the difference between a metaphor and a simile. As simile uses like or as.”

Mati “My favourite simile is, “The puppy was as cute as a button..”

Cormac “We have been learning about distance, speed and time in Maths.”

Libby “In our comprehension group we have been reading about WW2.”

Wider Achievement
Adam, Kalim and Bobby have been selected to play in the Paul Jones’ Football League.
Mya can now do a handspring off the Olympic sized beam at gymnastics club.

Reminders
Health and Wellbeing Day at CDHS for the Primary 7 pupils. Please return the reply slip to school in advance of this.

Primary 7

Sam – “We have been learning about time this week. I was good at working out durations.”

Ryan K – “In my Accelerated Reading I’ve been getting 95% of my questions right every time.”

Rory T – “I am 61% towards my Accelerated Reading target, I am proud of that.”

Jayden – “In topic we were learning about Guru Nanak.”

Mia – “In writing groups we have been writing narratives. I wrote the start of a drama.”

Morven – “I really enjoyed writing opening paragraphs this week in writing. I did a thriller/drama.”

Sophie – “P.C Ellis talked to us about legal and illegal drugs on Tuesday. She brought in samples of drugs (they weren’t real though!). We found out that 35 people die every day from drugs misuse in Scotland.”

Jack – “In rugby I have been good at dodging people and keeping my tags.”

Deacon – “Me, Sam, Cameron and Daniel G organised a quiz for everyone. It was about the brain, it was fun to do.”

Ryan S – “We learned about Gandhi on Thurs. He led India to freedom.”

Rory L – “I am proud of getting into the Paul Jones football team.”

Andrew A – “I’ve got 100% of my questions correct in Accelerated Reading so far this term.”

Tiana – “I am proud of answering the most questions on Sumdog this week.”

Well done to Isla L for winning the class dojo points this week.

Reminders

Sponsor money is due in as soon as possible.

Mary Poppins tickets are on sale now.

Watersports letters due in.