Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Our Weekly News – October 12th

Sharing our learning with the school community.

Our Weekly School News

School News 

a) Walk to School Week 

Our Junior Road Safety Officers, Lotti and Lois, gathered the data from our classes last week and have written this report. 

In our Autumn Walk to School Week 39% of the school walked and 13% Park and Stride (which is just over half the school). Also 36% were driven, 2% scootered or skated, 3% cycled, 5% came by bus and 2% came by taxi. We hope that more people walk to school during the school year. 

This term P5 won the Walk to School Golden Trainer. We hope a different class may win the Golden Trainer next time – Good Luck!    

by Lotti and Lois. 

b) The Global Gang would like to thank everyone for their kind donations for the Helping Hands Food Bank. 

c) We go on holiday on Friday 12th and return to school on Monday 29th October.  

Our school team, pupils and staff, have been working hard this term and have a well earned rest.

Please have a look at what some of our Classes have been up to this week.

Primary 1a 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

We’d had a great week in P1a! 

Miley and Ollie: I like reading with the big boys and girls (P6/7). We get to read stories. 

Lola: I like the fish we have in class. I helped out with cleaning the tank. 

Melisa: I liked going to the library. 

Finlay: I liked playing on the bikes. I like the blue one. 

We have been learning how to take care of our class fish. Abby, Lola, Finlay and Gillie had the job of cleaning the tank and feeding the fish. 

We have also been planting some bulbs on the balcony.  

Charlie: I liked putting the seeds in. 

Iris: We put the soil in. We used the watering can. 

Our photos this week were taken by Ayla and Kendyl. 

Primary 1b 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

Primary 1b enjoyed having their families in on Tuesday afternoon for a ‘story time’ session. Willow: “we read The Detective Dog”  

Zane: “Juila Donaldson” 

Angus: I liked doing the sugar, making the letters” 

Charlotte: “I liked going on the board so we can write stuff” 

Brodie: “making craft – the robot and the racing car” 

Kai: “I liked playing in the MUGA” 

Zane: “I liked playing in the Maths area and writing” 

Eddie: “I liked playing in the building area. We have a new role play area in the classroom – a builders yard.” 

Beth: “I like doing gym” 

Eryithsyai: “I liked sharing the books” 

*Thank you for all the fantastic pattern homework.  

Wider Achievement
Tiffany “I‘m swimming without armbands”.  

Reminders
Have a super holiday! 

Primary 2/3 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

In art we have been learning about colour mixing. First we learned to mix secondary colours from primary colours then we mixed shades and tints of a colour. 

Abbie – ‘We did photos to match the colour we made.’ 

Alexander – ‘They are all goo.’ 

Cooper – ‘We worked hard on them.’ 

Alba – ‘It gets prettier when it gets to the lighter and darker bits.’ 

We have focused a lot on working together and co-operation this term. This week our task was to create a PE game with our group and explain it to the class. 

Eamon – ‘We had to use certain equipment to work on a game for our team.’ 

Cameron – ‘We had to follow the team rules.’ 

Lily S – ‘We all worked as a team to do it.’ 

Reminders 

Please label all clothes we have 3 unnamed sweatshirts in class without a home. 

Primary 4 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

In art we finished our clay starfish by painting them. We mixed white and orange paint together to create different tones. We also experimented with brush control, using light and narrow strokes. Details were highlighted using sponge painting. We created a rock pool for them to live and we think they look very realistic.  

As part of our health and wellbeing topic we created a compliment cloud for a friend or family member. We hope this helps increase their self-esteem as we have been learning that this is linked to our emotions. 

Primary 4/5 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

This week we finished our class novel. 

April – We found out one of the main characters was a girl and her name was Alexa. 

Lhlyaijana – It was a splendid book. I learned all about refugees. 

Brooke – It made me feel a little bit angry that so many people are forced to run from their homes. 

Alannah – It made me feel quite sad but happy too because Ahmet found his mum and dad.  

We made the most of the lovely sunny weather this week and did our PE outside. 

Charlotte – we were trying to build up our stamina, so we could run for longer.  

We have also been learning how to write a letter and lay it out in the correct format. 

Alannah – You need to include your address. 

Jesse-Leigh – You need to put the recipient’s address on too. 

We are all now ready to enjoy a well earned rest. Happy Holidays 🙂  

Primary 5 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

This week P5 have been learning about multiplying by 10, 100 and 1000.  

Children have also been learning how to use similies, metaphors and alliteration when writing poetry. We have used what we have learned to write a poem about human influence on the environment. We have also had a visit from Elspeth and Alice from the Galloway Glens Biosphere Reserve who taught us about different biospheres around the world and how we can use our senses to appreciate nature.  

Hanna came up with our quote of the week which is, ‘Don’t listen to people who tell you what to do. Listen to people who encourage you to do what you know in your heart is right.’ – Zig Ziglar 

Have a great holiday, 

Primary 5/6 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

A fantastic finish to the term! In ‘Writing’, we played active games to help expand our vocabulary before locating ‘wow words’ in a piece of text. P5/6 have also battled it out with cloze procedure passages in order to insert words into unfamiliar texts.  

We designed a new ‘Rajmobile’ in ICT as we say a warm goodbye to the characters of “Billionaire Boy”. Mr. Coulthard was also very impressed with everyone’s ability to apply their knowledge of coordinates to class games of “Battleships”.  

“You blink more when you talk” and “Babies don’t produce tears until they are 6 weeks old” were some of the fascinating facts we discovered during Science this week. 

Lastly, P5/6 would like to wish a very fond farewell to an amazing pupil as he prepares to move to Dalry in the coming weeks. Stay in touch! Have an amazing holiday everyone! 

Primary 6 

Class Activities and Pupil Comments 

Primary Six have been working on adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers with a decimal place this week in Maths. Mr Maxwell set us some problem solving that really got us thinking!!  

We were learning about Lord Shaftesbury in Topic. He played a major role in improving the lives of Victorian people. During Health and Wellbeing, we did some drama to show a number of emotions and we discussed bullying and the affect that this has on someone’s wellbeing. Overall, we have really enjoyed learning about the Victorians this term and have compared different aspects of their lives to our own lives.  

Primary 7

Class Activities and Pupil Comments

P7 enjoyed a visit from PC Ellis this week as part of their internet safety sessions. She explained the risks associated with the internet and how children could stay safe. Pupils also completed tasks such as making a list of strong and weak passwords, making posters to explain how to stay safe, writing stories using emojis, tracking their digital footprint and making lists of website suitable for different age ranges.

In maths we have moved on to addition and have begun with addition of two and three digit numbers. Pupils have enjoyed taking part in a range of games and activities to support their learning.

We have continued to work on a range of topic activities for our WW1 project. The pupils found out all about the use of propaganda this week and created posters of their own. We also completed our letters home from the front line and created some class poppy artwork. We are continuing to learn our WW1 for our assembly next term.

House and Vice Captains have also helped to deliver potatoes for the church this week. Well done to Chloe and Sam who volunteered to share information at the P5 and P6 information night on Monday.

Reminders

A reminder that our sharing learning activity will take place on Thursday 1st Nov from 6-7pm.

Our WW1 assembly and class open morning takes place on Wednesday 7th Nov at 9.15pm.

Our trip to the Fullarton is Thursday 8th Nov.