Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Our Weekly News – October 5th.

Our Weekly School News

Sharing our learning with the school community. 

School News

A reminder that next week there is

– an information session on Monday at 6:30pm for P5 and P6 age pupils and families about proposed Outdoor learning residential activities when they are in P6 and P7.

– Dental Inspections for P1 and P7 on Thursday.

– The October Holiday starts next Saturday 13th until Sunday 28th.

Some of our Class News 

Primary 1a    

On Friday we visited the Nature Garden and tried to make patterns with any objects we could find. We made some lovely designs!

Amelia: I liked making my pattern. Lola helped me. We did it together. We did stick, leaf, stick, leaf.

Iris: I put decorations on mine. It was purple flowers.

Ollie: I like finding things in the garden.

Owen: I liked finding the things for the pattern. We used sticks and leaves too.

We’ve also enjoyed other things this week.

Lexi: I liked playing with the junk. I make castles and stuff for my friend Hannah.

Miley: We’ve been going to Ten Town. I like Seal 6 because I like seals.

Thank you to everyone who joined us for our first Storytime session on Friday. We hope you enjoyed sharing a story with us at home time. Look out for more dates in the future.

Primary 1b

The children have been enjoying using the iPad to take photographs of their friends, their work and their learning environments. We are planning to make a joint display with Miss Conacher’s class.

We were looking for signs of Autumn this week around the school grounds. Zach and Eddie told us that the leaves change colour in Autumn and Brodie told us the leaves fall from the tress in Autumn. We collected different shape and coloured leaves and discussed which trees the leaves had come from.

The children have been busy making and creating with the junk modelling materials. Thank you for your contributions – keep it coming please!

William: “we’ve been learning about numbers”

Zach: “we’ve been playing with the Lego”

Ellie: “we’ve been playing with Brambles”

Hannah: “doing people’s lunch” Hannah has been helping to give out the tokens – what a super helper!

Elliot: “I liked playing superheroes”

Beth: “I liked playing in the kitchen”

Angus: I like playing with the playdough and the Lego”

Flynn: “I like playing with the Lego”

Willow: I liked playing with the babies with Mya”

Ziya: “I like visiting Ten Town. I also like playing with Elliot and Ellie. I also like playing with Brambles, Ben, the caterpillar and Inky Mouse”.

Reminders:

*Homework packets must be brought to school every day.

*Story Time Session: Tuesday 9th October at 2:30pm in P1b classroom.

Primary 3

This week, to further explore our Forces and Friction topic, we went outside with Mr Tyson to do some rope activities.

We investigated the effect of pushing and pulling on the ropes as a class and Mr Tyson showed us how to do a clove hitch knot and a figure of eight knot to keep the ropes tight.

We pulled the ropes very tightly and released them to lower our friends down the hill.

Ferne was able to hold the whole class on the rope using just one finger and thumb but she had a friend called Friction to help!

Lewis – ‘I made a figure of eight knot!’

Ferne – ‘The friction on the rope helped the class to pull me up’.

Primary 3/4 

This week we have continued our health topic about SHANARRI.

Alex – “There’s two A’s in SHANARRI. One stands for active and the other stands for achieving”.

Fern – “This week we focussed on achieving”.

Rhys – “We designed our own medals to celebrate out achievements”.

Connor -“In maths we have been learning about probability. We were thinking about the chance of something happening and using the right words to describe it”.

Lydia – “We were using words like likely, unlikely, certain and impossible”.

In topic we started learning about magnets. We explored how magnets worked and investigated some objects in our classroom to find out if they were magnetic or not.

Mr Tyson also came to show us a super activity about forces and friction.

Coby – “He taught us different knots – they were pretty hard. We went outside to see if Caitlin could hold the whole class on a rope just using two fingers!”

Cameron – “We tied a special knot in a rope and two of us had to tie the rope around of our waist and go down the hill and two of us had to hold the rope to make sure they didn’t go too fast.

Jake – “The knot meant that we could control their speed and help to keep them safe”.

Reminders

Please return any Threave Castle letters by Monday.

Primary 4 

P4 have been learning about probability in maths. We used the words never, sometimes and always to describe the likelihood of events. We also shared examples of things that are likely and unlikely to happen.

In music we have been perfecting our Christmas song with P5 for the school Christmas album. We are excited about recoding this after the holidays. The children have added tune percussion such as glockenspiels, claves and bells which sound fantastic.

In art we were inspired by starfish to create our own clay models. We worked on forming, smoothing and flattening the clay. We had to work fast to stop the clay from drying and added fine details to make them look realistic using modelling tools. We are painting our models next week.

Reminders

P.E kits are required on Wednesday and Thursday every week.

Primary 4/5

This week in P4/5 we have been learning about how our community meets everyone’s needs. We discussed all the different things in place for people who use a wheelchair, people who are deaf and people who are blind.

Brooke – Braille is little bumps that make up an alphabet. It helps blind people to read.

April – You can get a special chair lift to help people go up the stairs.

Callum – There are special swings for children who use wheelchairs.

Charlotte – People who can’t hear properly can use hearing devices and hearing aids.

McKenzie – We have been learning how to do sign language.

Freya – We learned how to sign the words book, sandwich, cow, and cat.

Jesse Leigh – We learned how to say hello and how are you in sign language.

Primary 5 

On Monday we voted for our new ‘Keep the Quote’ and chose Erin’s quote as our class motto for the week which is:

“The noblest art is that of making others happy.” – PT Barnum (The Greatest Showman).

In maths we have been using compasses with Mrs Starkey and continued our work on place value with Miss Mackintosh.

In P. E. we have continued working on our rugby skills with passing the ball and intercepting the ball. Children are all now working on their own endangered animal talks for next week as a home learning task.

For topic we have been researching life cycles in ICT, learning about groupings of animals and the difference between a vertebrate and an invertebrate.

Primary 5/6

A great team effort with reciprocal reading this week! Individual accountability means that all children need to do their job in order for each group’s reading task to be a success. Fantastic conversations about literature were occurring as a result.

Children have been using their ‘pupil voice’ to make decisions and hold votes to determine what the class do in P.E. Firm favourites include Star Wars Dodge ball, Capture the flag and Nukemball! It may only be October but there has been a festive feel in P5/6 as we practise our Christmas song. Watch this space!!!

Sclera, ciliary, retina, anterior chamber, iris… We have been learning about our eyes and just how complicated and brilliant they are! Although staring into each other’s eyeballs seemed to trigger the giggles, we had a great afternoon of science!

Primary 6

“This week, we began a Basketball tournament in PE” (Molly).

“We learned about the Eatwell Plate in Health and Wellbeing. It shows us how much of each food group we should eat daily.” (Rosie)

“We studied Dr Barnardo in Topic. He helped poor children and set up schools and homes.” (Jack and Jake)

“In Maths, we were ordering money from smallest to highest.” (Teigan)

“We were ordering 1 or 2 decimal place numbers.” (Emily)

Primary 6/7 

This week in Primary 6/7 we have been continuing to learn about multiplying by 10, 100 and 1000. We have been discussing the importance of place value and how each number can mean something entirely different depending on what column it is in.

In Samson we have been focusing on addition of decimal numbers.

Our literacy this week has been linked to our topic – Cyber communities. We have been exploring Ten Top Tips to stay safe online. We are working to design information posters to share our learning.

We are hoping to make the final recording of our Christmas medley of Let it Snow and Walking in a Winter Wonderland with Mrs Teale this week.

We now have more fish in our class fish tank as well as some underwater snails and 3 shrimp! We’re enjoying watching them settle into their new home.

Primary 7

I am impressed with my mental maths this week as my time has gotten quicker and I have been noticing patterns. – Rory L

We looked at different pieces of evidence this week – photos, video clips, diaries and letters to find out what it was like in the trenches in WW1. – Morven

I enjoyed writing a letter pretending I was a solider on the front line in WW1 this week. – Charely.

I thought I was good at taking notes on Wednesday because I only wrote down key information. – Ollie.

It has been really fun doing Ultimate Dodgeball. We have been using team work. – Sam.

I did well with my reading this week. I read Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School and got 10/10 in the Accelerated Reader quiz. – Chloe.

Our reading book is scary but it makes me want to read more because it is exciting. – Jayden.

We have also welcomed Mrs Campbell into our class this week. She will be working in class with us until mid December.