Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Weekly News – June 9th

Our Weekly School News

An opportunity to share our learning with the school community. We hope that families may find it useful when listening and talking about what your child(ren) have been doing in school.

Comments on our activities are also very welcome – click on the small comments link underneath each Post heading on our website.

School News

Sports Morning – Tuesday 13th June. After our Sports activities we plan to have a ‘Big Picnic’ on the Sports Pitch. A School Meal packed lunch is available (no hot meal that day) but needs to be ordered on Monday please.

Drama Club – Performances

Pupils will be performing in “The Amazing Adventures of Superstan”. There will be two perfomances of the show.  The afternoon will be on Wed 14th June at 1:30pm and the evening performance will be Thurs 15th June at 7pm.  Tickets are priced at £2.50 for adults and £1.00 for children.

Paul Jones Football League

Both our Football teams have qualified for the Paul Jones Final next Saturday. The Girls Team came top of their league and the Boys were runner-up. Very well done (and thank you to staff and parents for their time and help with transport) and we wish our Teams well in the Final play-offs.

Thank You Grant

On Tuesday mornings, an adult volunteer, Grant Lewis helps out in the school with the Library, doing computing and other tasks. Grant has recently been getting Achievement Folders ready for our new P1s. We would like to thank Grant for his weekly help and congratulate him on receiving his 500 Hours Volunteering Saltire Award.

Some Class News

Primary 1/2

We are enjoying our new topic – food, farming and shops.

This week we have been learning about living things. We have been exploring plants  and what they need.

Kyle – “A plant needs water to grow.”

Thank you to Georgie’s dad who came in to help us to plant beautiful flowers outside our classroom.

Primary 2a

We have been learning how to count money and what coins to use when we buy things.

We have been learning about sea creatures.

We have been learning about nouns and we made a list of them.

Alfie – “I liked doing the homework challenge. I liked my dad helping me.”

Murray – “I liked making the seaside pictures because I liked using the bright colours.”

Sam – “I liked learning about nouns and I liked writing down my favourite things.”

Primary 2b

We have been working on measure this week using cubes and straws. it was very important  to work carefully and listen to our partners.  We enjoyed making lighthouses in Art this week.

We wrote instructions for disgusting sandwiches to scare away the seagulls. There were lots of super but disgusting ideas!

Primary 3a

This week we have been looking at ordering numbers. We have also had a practice for sports day and worked together to learn about the Roman Invasion into Britain.

Isla and Max achieved their Gold Award. Well done!

Primary 3b

We have been researching an aspect of the Romans to create an information poster and making our own mosaics in Art.

We have been writing scary stories using adjectives and descriptive phrases.

We have been working on learning our multiplication and division facts and information handling.

Lucy has started trumpet lessons. Anna can play Mary had a Little Lamb on the piano off by heart.

Primary 4

We really enjoyed learning more about the body and making our own body suits. We were given different materials and were able to design them ourselves.

Eilidh – “I liked working with my partner to make the different parts.”

Well done to Lois, Ellie and Lotti for passing their ballet exams. Well done to Molly for winning her horse riding championship.

Primary 5

On Wednesday 10th May P5 went on a trip to Edinburgh.  We had to be at school at 7:45am because our tour started at 10:30am.  First we went in the costume place and Rory L and Tianna got dressed up as Lord Darnley and Mary Queen of Scots.  After we finished in the costume room we started our tour.  Lucy showed us around the palace and we got to go in every single room.  My favourite part was the tour.  I didn’t really like going up and down the twirly stairs and I enjoyed the murder room as well.  After we finished our tour we went up the Royal Mile.

Primary 5/6

We are continuing our joint museums with P4/5. The transport group were sent lots of info from the London Underground.  The fossils group were visited by Mr Lawson from the Gem Shop and he brought us lots for our display.

Erin played her new bagpipes to the class. She was great.

Well done to Casey for passing her ballet exam.

Primary 6

In Music we have listened to “Where is the love” by Ariana Grande and Black Eyed Peas, looked at the words in more depth and designed posters in respect of the people who died and injured in the London and Manchester attacks.

In Maths we have been working out money calculations.

In Art we designed our own space crafts.

In PE we have been continuing work on SuperScot.

We have looked at SHANARRI in more depth.

Chloe got distinction in her ballet exam.

Emma received 2nd in an ice-skating competition.

Reminders for Next Week

Sports Day – Tuesday 13th June, please remember your PE kit and packed lunch.