Castle Douglas Primary and Early Learning and Childcare Centre

This is my school and I love it here!

Weekly News – March 31st

School News

Easter Holidays – Saturday 1st April – Monday 17th April

Summer Term starts on Tuesday 18th April

An invite from Castle Douglas Parish Church

Palm Sunday Service – Sunday 9th April

Procession from Lochside Park to the church with Paul and our donkey. If you would like to join the procession please meet in the park at 10.45am. The church service will be at 11am in the church where you are invited to wave the palm leaves some of you have made. We look forward to seeing you there!

Class news

(Comments on our activities are very welcome – click on the small comments link underneath each Post heading on our website.)

Primary 1

We are doing a Wedding topic this week.  Ewan said, “We read a story”. Zane said, “We drew the characters from the story”. Rosie said, “It was the scarecrow’s wedding” and Brooke said, “We also wrote a wedding list”. We are all excited about Miss Hardwick’s wedding in the holidays and wonder if her real dress will be like the dresses we designed for her?!  After the holidays she will be called Mrs.Thompson.

Primary 1/2

This week we have been learning about celebrations and weddings. We found out about weddings and traditions around the world and had a super wedding party! We have also been doing lots of Easter crafts and activities. The whole class would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays!

Primary 2a

We have been looking at what happens in our reading books and answering questions. We have been talking about the different kinds of weathers around the world and deciding where we would like to live.

Kianna – “I would like to stay in Spain.” Callum – “I would like to live in a tropical climate with lots of bananas.” Chloe – “I would like to see lots of polar bears in the polar climate.” Gary – “I would like to live on a mountain because I like snow.”
Primary 3a

P3a have had a busy week. On Tuesday we had great fun making fruit smoothies using the smoothie bike.  On Friday we had a visit from PC Ellis to talk to us about Stranger Danger and about how to keep ourselves safe when out and about.

Milly said “I enjoyed it because I learned lots of things.” Eilidh – “I loved seeing all the things on a police officer’s uniform.” We have also came up with some ideas for rules when using the new playground games.

P3b

We went on the smoothie bike and tasted three kinds of smoothies. Forest fruits and apple juice were our favourites . We are learning to multiply and divide by 2 and are also learning to work out durations of time. We wrote a personal  on ‘My Mum or Dad’ and have also been working on our magnet experiments. Well done to Lhlyaijana who can now spin her drumsticks round at pipe band, to Liam who won 2 medals for football and to Sam who did well at horse riding and won a rosette. Liam, Ellie-Jay and Josh reached their Accelerated Reading Target too.

Primary 4

We have had a very fun week finishing off our Viking topic with our Viking hill walk trip! We learned how to attack a Viking hill fort by re-enacting a raid and enjoyed ourselves, even though the hill was very steep!

Primary 5

We worked hard at achieving our reading targets. We are drawing timelines in the playground of Scottish history.

Primary 6

This week we learned about the Easter story. We have been doing VCOP in our literacy settings and we completed a Big Writing Assessment. We have also been reading ‘Far from Home’- the Street Child’s sequel. In Health we’ve been learning more about relationships and we pretended to be Agony Aunts. We have been continuing to learn/develop our time skills and we also did a write up about tidal turbines. Well done to Marisa who has learned a new tune on the guitar. The class would like to wish everyone a very Happy Easter!

Primary 6/7

We have completed our ‘Anderson Shelter’ projects. Next term we have some tests to carry out but for now they are on display.
In ICT we have been updating our ‘My Merit e-portfolios’. Please feel free to add more at home.

We had our final badminton competition. Fynn is singles champion, Lahela runner up.  Fynn and Bryan pair champs.  Alistair and Owen runners up.

Primary 7

This week we had a visit from Mrs Cook DHT from Castle Douglas High School to talk about transition.

Eva said “The High School sounds great – especially lunchtimes.”

In Maths we have been looking at area. In topic we have been funding out about Ghandi. Jessie – “It was interesting finding out about how Ghandi stole the salt.”

Well done to Ruby for coming 2nd and Anna 3rd in the Stewartry Cross Country league.  Well done to Mollie McNally for being awarded pupil of the month for super effort in Maths.

Well done to Jessie, Ruby, Amber and Eva for winning our end of term quiz.

Reminders for Next Week

P6- Reminder that our school trip to New Lanark is on the first day back to school which is Tuesday 18th April. Parent helpers are Kayla’s mum and Hannah’s mum.