Technical Advice


 Safety Advice:

Please be aware that the Outdoor Education Service’s Technical Advisers are qualified and licensed to offer advice and center accreditation in respect of the following adventure activities:

Kayaking, Open Canoeing, Rock Climbing (and related ropes activities), Off road cycling, Orienteering, Sailing, Hillwalking and Mountaineering; and can access technical advice on  Snowsport.

NB We cannot offer safety advice, or accredit commercial providers in respect of any other outdoor activities they may offer eg archery, den building, quad biking, fishing, etc.

It is the responsibility of the Head Teacher to satisfy themselves as to the suitability of the safety arrangements in place for such activities – we may be able to offer informal advice but we recommend that you consult your HSE officer.

Finally please remember that the in-house technical advice we offer is only that – advice, and ultimately the excursion proceeds on the authority of the Head Teacher.

External technical adviser services:

Dumfries and Galloway Councils Outdoor Education service has a range of staff that hold qualified that allows them to provide Technical advice. This could be nominated Technical adviser, setting up and managing an in house training scheme, helping with writing risk assessment, safe systems of work, normal operating procedures and emergency action plans.

For farther information please contact:

Mike Taveren 

Lead Officer

Outdoor Education

Dumfries and Galloway Council

Carlingwark Outdoor Centre Lochside Park

Castle Douglas DG7 1EZ

: 01556 505916


Report a Glow concern  Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.