P2-4 Literacy

Each literacy activity is designed to last between 15min – 30min.

Reading

Children cannot do enough reading!

It is a simple,  go-to task that has huge benefits.

Pupils can read their books in home packs, read books online at Oxford Owl or listen to stories at Story Online.

Books in packs with codes on the inside covers are called Accelerated Reader books. Once children finish these books they can complete an AR quiz using the following link.

AR Quizzes

These books are great as they are suited to your child’s ability and the quizzes show how well they have understood them. Children are used to completing these quizzes and should know their login details. AR books can also be found online at Oxford Owl .

Comprehension

Children have a comprehension jotter, comprehension booklet and answer sheets in their packs. The booklets are suited to their reading stage/ability. Children complete these independently including marking.

Children should read the passage twice then look over the questions. They can refer back to the passage and then answer the questions in their jotter – the pupils are familiar with this system.

Children should look for clues in the question to find answers in the passage – for example if the question was “what helps tarantulas climb?” they would scan the passage for the word climb.

More comprehension sheets can be found online at Twinkl. This website is currently offering hundreds of free resources for children who cant go to school. Sign up and type comprehension in the search bar for loads of activities.

Writing 

In class we write and focus on different targets, this may be “I can write a letter”, “I can use more adjectives”, “I can use capital letters and full stops”.

The way we do this is we first look at a picture and discuss it as a class. Pobble 365 is a great website that posts a daily picture along with some writing ideas. We then discuss what we are going to write about and the children write whatever they want – as long as they try and reach their target.

I appreciate this may be asking a bit much from children at home but it might be an idea to just get the children to write anything using a picture as a stimulus. Don’t worry too much about the targets.

The children like this as it is open ended and lets them be creative.

If you would like some ideas of targets please email and I can advise for your specific child.

Alternatively you could encourage your children to keep a diary and write a few lines in it every day.

Spelling

We do spelling tests on a Monday and children get new words on a Tuesday.

We discuss the meaning of the words and go over ones pupils may be unsure of.

Most children get access to spelling city and they are in groups suitable to their spelling ability, they can access their spelling lists through this.

The group of pupils who are not on spelling city get words chosen by me that focuses on a specific phonic sound – I will post these on the teams page.

Children can practice their spelling using online games through spelling city. 

We also play hangman in class, challenge each other to spell words out loud, make words out of  magnetic letters and write silly sentences with them.

Phonics 

Phonics involves the teaching of rules to help children to understand the apparently illogical nature of our writing system.

This helps children to become better readers and spellers.

We talk about letter patterns and sounds in class.

Some of us also play a phonics card game –  this has been included in one of the children’s packs.

We also use an app called in class – Read with phonics

This app however is not free so I would suggest these other websites where children can play games and practice their phonics –

Phonics Play

Phonics Bloom