Primary 1 – Term 4 Day 15 Friday 1st May 2020

Phonics – Practice all sounds on sound chart again.

We will use the Ruth Miskin (RWI creator) youtube live videos from earlier in the week to help today.  I like to watch these beforehand to make sure they are suitable for us but where possible and appropriate I will send links to these on Tuesdays and Fridays.

💗 + 💚Green literacy group –

Focus on speedy reading and spelling using set 2 sounds with these videos.  It does focus on ‘oo – poo at the zoo’ which we looked at last week but it wont do any harm to revisit and it does follow the routines we use in class.

Red literacy group – Focus on speedy reading and spelling using set 1 sounds with these videos. 

Reading- 📚

1. All learners login to your OxfordOwl account using the details provided on your ‘home learning folder’ and select a book to read or have read to you. 
  2. Re-read your reading sheet from yesterday and see if you can read it a little faster but with a good storyteller voice! (Red- sheet 8, Green- sheet 17 and Pink- sheet 33 
  3. Writing In your blue jotter, above the ‘hold a sentence’ from yesterday, can you draw a picture of something that happens in your reading sheet. Or to challenge yourself, can you draw a sequence of pictures to show what happens in the short story you read?  Try to include as much detail as you can. My advice would be to avoid felt tip pens as they will leak through to the next jotter pages! 😭

Don’t forget to schedule in some brain breaks.  Maybe go for a walk to get some fresh air or use one of the brainbreak resources we have used recently.   Here is a link to some ‘cosmic kids Yoga’ if you want some inspiration…

https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga/featured

Numeracy – Solving a Word Problem

Use a copy of the worksheet below to solve the following word problem using all of your number skills.  You will find a booklet of these in your home-learning pack.  Please choose the word challenge for your group, again this is printed on the front of your pack.

Tip: Remember to listen to the problem carefully, find things to model your thinking  and talk about how you think you can solve it.  What type of calculation will we need to do to find the answer?

Triangles –  I invite 5 friends to my birthday party but 2 cant come along.  How many friends can come?

Circles –  I invite 9 friends to my birthday party but 3 cant come along.  How many friends can come?

Squares – I invite 15 friends to my birthday party but  6 cant come along.  How many friends can come?

Other learning – Outdoor task linked with yesterdays learning about Day and Night

We will compare things we see in the sky in the day and at night to help our learning about the wider world and our place in it.

Go outside at 2 points in the day and look up at the wonderful vast sky above.  (1st choose a time of daylight and then a time at night when it is dark, if you are still up!)

Draw and label a picture and/or make a list of the features of the sky that you can see.  Maybe you can even take a photo of the sky from your house?  Do this at the 2 times, one day and the other at night.

How do your pictures or lists compare from day to night?  How has the sky changed and why do you think this is?

Have a fab weekend everyone, sending lots of love 💓

2 thoughts on “Primary 1 – Term 4 Day 15 Friday 1st May 2020”

1. Oh that’s strange. I may just have to put up a link to the YouTube channel instead and hope you can all find the videos needed. Thanks for letting me know. I wonder it the issue was just on this post as I used these earlier in the week too. x