Messy Play

Messy play is a form of play everyone enjoys in the nursery (even the ladies). I know at home the thought of messy play can be a little bit daunting, and a little bit messy!!! But messy play has so many benefits. Through this form of play children embrace their curiosity, imagination and exploration, building and developing confidence and self-esteem. The sensory side of messy play allows children to develop their senses as they explore how things touch or smell or look. Together you develop communication and language by using descriptive words, talking about the experience together. Mark-making in messy play encourages fine motor skills and early literacy. Anything can be used to mark make, from twigs to toy cars. There are endless amounts of learning and I trust you it is lots of fun.

2 ideas for messy play:

Made with cornflour and water this is such a strange mix. It can feel both hard and slimy. If you want you can add food colouring. Put everything in a bowl or dish.
Using shaving foam you can spray onto a tray and add different tools to make marks or add colouring to make a rainbow like the picture.

They might be messy but mess can be cleaned the fun and the memories will be precious. Stay safe everyone. Miss you lots.xx

4 thoughts on “Messy Play”

1. We will be trying the shaving foam soon but we have been making play doh, James loved making it and now he’s hiding small toys in the play doh and finding it again

1. That’s lovely to hear. Messy play is such a great fun way to get everyone, including us big people, playing and learning together. Posting a couple more ideas for messy play which both me and my teenage daughter have been having fun doing whilst at home. Keep safe and hopefully see you all soon.

1. Aww I know it’s great fun! It is messy but that’s all in the fun of it as well 🙂 we have made a Leo the lion out of paper plate as well for James when we sing the song 🙂 I love looking at all the blogs including my other two girls classes and twitter your all doing a great job keeping things going even tho the kids aren’t there just now, hope to see everyone soon!

I post a few photos/updates on what we have been up to on the school twitter page as well. We have came past the nursery/school a few times and James has wanted to go in the gates so hopefully we will get back soon

Stay safe from us all

2. Susan your doing a great job. Hopefully get a few more fun and exciting blogs up. Saw your pictures on Twitter of Leo the lion, such a good idea for helping sing along with the song. Stay safe.