This week in P1HD

In Numeracy, we have been continuing to explore amounts within 10. We have had many opportunities to read, write and count our numbers. We also started exploring the next few numbers that come after 10 (11, 12, 13) by finding out where they are on the number line, how to write them and what it looks like when we count these amounts out on a tens frame.

“We write a 1 and a 3 to make 13 .” – Ruby

“4 and 3 makes 7.” – Emily

“We used the Cuisenaire rods and estimated how long they were then measured them.” – Brodie

In Literacy, we have been learning the sounds ‘m’ and ‘h’. We had to sort through objects in the class, practise our letter formation, use magnetic boards to build CVC words and we even had a go at writing some words too. We read Stickman, as part of our Julia Donaldson topic and used this as a stimulus for writing as we were able to draw and label Stickman and also write his name using the sounds we have learned so far.

“I liked the part where Stickman found his family tree.” – Niall

“I made the word nest. N-e-s-t.” – Rebecca

“The girl said ‘1, 2, 3’ and dropped the stickman and he went all the way down to the river.” – Matthew

In Health and Wellbeing, we were learning to tell the truth. We read The Boy Who Cried Wolf and explored the key message from the story. We discussed why it’s important to not tell lies and then drew a picture to illustrate a time when we decided to be responsible and tell the truth.

“You can’t tell lies because there wasn’t a wolf.” – Eilidh

“The wolf ate all the sheep because he was hungry.” – Nathan

“I told the truth when I snatched a toy from someone.” – Ethan