This week in P1HD

In Numeracy, we have been learning to identify symmetrical patterns and we used Numicon shapes to make our own symmetrical robots. We also had many opportunities to explore different ways to make amounts within 10, using our Bunny Ears and Numicon. We practised our number formation too.

“I was trying to make 3 with the blocks and write the number.” – Kade

“I was joining the pictures to make them symmetrical.” – Leo

“It’s flipped on both sides and it’s the same pattern on each side.” – Ruby

In Literacy, we have been learning the sounds ‘p’ and ‘n’. We watched Geraldine the Giraffe to help identify objects that begin with these sounds and had to sort through objects in the class too. We also began building CVC words on our magnetic boards, using the satipn sounds. For writing, we were developing our drawing skills by learning how to draw hands, and then we had a go at labelling our pictures with 1 word.

“I used play dough to make hair. It was spiky.” – Nathan

“Blow out candles to make the ‘p’ sound.” – James

“’nip’ is spelled ‘n-i-p’.” – Brodie

In Health and Wellbeing, we read a story called The Squirrels Who Squabbled and explored the main idea of sharing. We spoke about ways that we can share and why this is so important. We then made our own squirrels, using leaves that we collected from the playground.

“The squirrels were not sharing the pine cone. They shared at the end and felt happy.” – Rebecca

“We made sharing squirrels with leaves on the tail and used cups.” – Eilidh

“I liked the part when the squirrels were sliding down the waterfall because they were trying to catch the pine cone.” – Tasvi