This week in P1HD

In Numeracy, we consolidated our learning of number through various activities and stations around the classroom. We also started to use ordinal language (first, second, third etc.) when using our class Advent Calendar.

“We need to open number 5 because that’s the fifth.” – Oscar

“We need 2 more to make 5.” – Oliver

In Literacy, we learned the sound ‘ai’ and used our new Jolly Phonics computer software to introduce this . We read the story Rapunzel, as part of our IDL, and linked this into our literacy tasks for the week. We retold the story of Rapunzel in our writing and also did a visualisation task where we were able to draw a picture to illustrate a part of the story. We were introduced to a new reading strategy called Eagle Eye and had opportunities to whisper read our core reading books using this strategy.

“I was successful when I used the picture clues to help me read the words.” – Oscar

“I was successful when I spelled the word ‘cat’ because I said it out loud.” – Phoebe

“I liked it when I wrote in my jotter. I wrote about the prince climbing up the tower.” – Lily

“I liked the drawing I did of the tower.” – Finlay

“We self-assessed our writing.” – Phoebe

In IDL, we practiced our Nativity each day in preparation for the upcoming performance. We also learned about the story of Christmas to help us make links and to understand where the Christian celebration originated from.

“I enjoyed when I got to be the star in the nativity because that’s a very special part of the nativity. Otherwise they wouldn’t have found baby Jesus.” – Faith

“The king wanted to kill baby Jesus so Mary and Joseph took baby Jesus to Egypt.” – Oscar