This week in P1HD

In Numeracy, we have been learning to count, recognise and correctly form numbers to 20. We introduced the numbers 15 and 16 and used our new counting stick to count forwards and backwards from a given number within 20. We have also been learning to add basic amounts and have had lots of opportunities to use concrete materials to support this e.g. cubes and tens frames. We enjoyed carrying out a survey in other classes around the school to find out people’s favourite type of fruit and we recorded this on a tally chart and pictograph.

‘We know that 2 and 3 makes 5.’ – Oscar

‘We tried to count all the way to 20 using our number stick. We missed out some numbers to get to 20.’ – Abigail

In Literacy, we learned two new sounds: o and u. We had lots of opportunities for word building and had to say, make, read and write CVC words, using our initial sounds. We also had various opportunities to discuss our likes and dislikes from the stories that we read, as part of our 3 Sharings, and even identified some things that puzzled us. In writing, we created a WANTED poster to help find the wicked witch from Hansel and Gretel. We also made our own sweetie houses from the story and used adjectives to describe them.

‘We wrote a poster to let people know they need to find the witch.’ – Phoebe

‘We read Hansel and Gretel. I liked when there was a sweetie house because I love sweeties.’ – Jessica

‘I used the word ‘tickly’ to describe my sweetie house from Hansel and Gretel.’ – Oscar

‘Turn on the light and turn it off for ‘o’.’ – Logan

‘Umbrella starts with ‘u’.’ – Finlay

‘When we read the Hansel and Gretel story, I liked when the witch pretended to be nice to them.’ – Phoebe

In Health and Wellbeing, we read a story called You Be You. This story is all about celebrating our differences and recognising that we are all unique. We designed our own fish using different lines and patterns, just like the ones from the story, to represent our differences.

‘I enjoyed colouring our fish to go with the story You Be You.’ – Faith

‘We all like different things.’ – Oscar