This week in P3/4NM

This has been another busy week!

In Maths, we were learning all about position and movement.  We were using compass points and co-ordinates to give and follow directions and to locate positions.  We worked out that Ashley Terrace is to the North of our school and then used this knowledge to work out the position of different parts of our school and local community.
– “Asda is to the South of the school.” (Oscar)
– “Mr Foley’s gym hall is at the North end of our school.” (Tyler)
– “The bowling green is to the East of the building.” (Hannah)
– “The dinner hall is at the West of our school.” (Callan)

This also linked to our IDL.  This week, we looked at a map of our local area and plotted the location of familiar local places.  We found the Leisure Bowl, Asda and some other sites around the town.  We located some other towns/villages in Clackmannanshire and discussed their position in comparison to Alloa, using the compass points that we learned in Maths.

In Literacy, we were learning to create a summary of a familiar story, using our Equitable Literacy book – ‘The Smartest Giant in Town.’   We needed to identify 5 main events from the story and then sequence them in the correct order.
– “George bought some clothes at the shop.” (Callan and Carly)
– “The giraffe was cold.  He got a scarf from George.” (Cole and Rhys)
– “The mice’s house got burned down.” (Halle and Erin)
– “George found a bag of his old clothes.” (Lola, Lacey and Ava)
– “The animals sang a song to George.” (Hannah and Harry)

We wrote imaginative stories about ‘The Friendly Alien’, with a HUGE focus on including capital letters and full stops at the correct points in a sentence.
– “An alien jumped out of the head teacher’s office on the way to assembly.  I told the head teacher that it was a reward but it wasn’t!” (Ava)
– “When I got back to class I saw a strange looking alien.  I went into shock.” (Oscar)
– “Lacey and I were in the office then an alien appeared behind Mrs Duffy.  She passed out!” (Harry)

In RME, we used the Christian Bible story about Ruth to make us think about friendship.  We worked with a partner to sort out statements, deciding whether they were qualities expected of a good friend.  We then ranked them in order, depending on what we felt was the best quality of a good friend.  We all agreed that a good friend is someone you can trust.

Have a really good holiday week!  Goodbye from P3/4 … until next time!